Virgin updates uniform policy

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Virgin updates uniform policy

Post by new2skirts »

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/galleries/a ... kirts.html

Some are not on board... but the young black guy on the first picture looks presentable... but it's set the Daily Fail off...
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Virgin updates uniform policy

Post by Coder »

new2skirts wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:19 pm https://www.dailymail.co.uk/galleries/a ... kirts.html

Some are not on board... but the young black guy on the first picture looks presentable... but it's set the Daily Fail off...
Sorry to be pedantic - but that "guy" considers "themself" non-binary, so not entirely a true comparison - as long as that seems to be a requirement regular guys will stay suited. Indeed, their outfit is very, erm, curvaceous and not "man in skirt" entirely. None of those skirt looks are masculine in a way that guys would adopt, which is why I think this won't really have a big impact.

That being said...

The headline clearly is written for the majority of the public - scare words and all:

"that will allow male staff to wear skirts"

OMG - the world will collapse! Planes will fall out of the sky! The horror!

Now - I'm not a huge kilt person, but if they added a kilt to the repertoire, that would make headlines like crazy. I say this because anyone looking at this lineup will *know* very few to no guys will don the skirt. But if they offered a kilt? People would instinctively know that was a real possibility.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Coder wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:45 pm But if they offered a kilt? People would instinctively know that was a real possibility.
On another thread, in different airspace we had already started discussing this very topic, but this is new.
Guess what there is a "Virgin" tartan which has to be vergin' on the same absurdity level as "Koala.
Here it is
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Brad »

I'm wondering how the average population would feel about flying on a plane with a male (assigned at birth) wearing a skirt and heels. We put our lives in the hands of the crew and rely on them to be able to make quick decisions and take command in an emergency. Are people willing to respect the authority of this person? It's quite different than handing out sodas and snacks.
Last edited by Brad on Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Brad wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:25 pm I'm wondering how the average population would feel about flying on a plane with a male (assigned at birth) wearing a skirt and heels. We put our lives in the hands of the crew and rely on them to be able to make quick decisions and take command in an emergency. Are people willing to respect the authority of this person? It's quire different than handing out sodas and snacks.
My guess - eye rolls, muttered comments, and general derision. But I think they'd be "respected" insofar as long as they talk in a commanding tone - ie, from a position of authority.

These outfits are not tailored for men - I'm not saying they have to be perfectly male-tailored, and I'd wear the skirt (not sure about the top and no to the heels) but they are very, erm, curvy. The real shocker would have been swapping the men's suit bottoms with a skirt - but that would have required the designer to actually *think* about what they were doing, and create something new.
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

Brad wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:25 pm I'm wondering how the average population would feel about flying on a plane with a male (assigned at birth) wearing a skirt and heels. We put our lives in the hands of the crew and rely on them to be able to make quick decisions and take command in an emergency. Are people willing to respect the authority of this person? It's quite different than handing out sodas and snacks.
There is no way to fly a plane in Heels you can control the rudder / Brake peddles.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Brad wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:25 pm I'm wondering how the average population would feel about flying on a plane with a male (assigned at birth) wearing a skirt and heels. We put our lives in the hands of the crew and rely on them to be able to make quick decisions and take command in an emergency. Are people willing to respect the authority of this person? It's quite different than handing out sodas and snacks.
I have to admit... if Joe Sixpack is on a plane that's going down, and the only thing on his mind as he plummets to his death is "that idiot guy in a skirt"....

Eh.... he's got some problems man...
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

Coder wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:45 pm
new2skirts wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:19 pm https://www.dailymail.co.uk/galleries/a ... kirts.html

Sorry to be pedantic - but that "guy" considers "themself" non-binary, so not entirely a true comparison - as long as that seems to be a requirement regular guys will stay suited. Indeed, their outfit is very, erm, curvaceous and not "man in skirt" entirely. None of those skirt looks are masculine in a way that guys would adopt, which is why I think this won't really have a big impact.

That being said...

The headline clearly is written for the majority of the public - scare words and all:

"that will allow male staff to wear skirts"

OMG - the world will collapse! Planes will fall out of the sky! The horror!

Now - I'm not a huge kilt person, but if they added a kilt to the repertoire, that would make headlines like crazy. I say this because anyone looking at this lineup will *know* very few to no guys will don the skirt. But if they offered a kilt? People would instinctively know that was a real possibility.
In some cases, "guys" may still feel they are guys, without feeling the need to use different pronouns... In the first photo, there appears to be a person with very masculine features (short brown hair, square jawline) quite happily wearing the red uniform with what appear to be women's trousers... and another person with more feminine features on the far right hand side in the men's uniform... I think the whole Alphabet Soup of pronouns will cause more friction than what is worn :roll:

I would wear my skirt Mark Bryan style, with a regular shirt and tie rather than a fancy blouse and ill fitting jacket... I'm sure they wouldn't mind :wink:

A few years ago Sir Richard Branson himself wore the skirted uniform as part of a promotion with Air Asia. The biggest obstacle I could see is having the wrong shoe on (too high a heel) but there's no issue with the skirts (though as I have a black girl's bum I may fill it out better :oops: ) they are rarely that curvy, having bought these uniform skirts off ebay they are much the same as any other pencil. A generous slit at the back will help with movement if a little tight, in cramped aisles of a plane a skirt is better than a kilt that may swish and flap about more, and kilts are expensive to produce (the properly made ones anyway)

Sorry about wrong pronouns, but as good as it is for any who are LGBT who may feel more comfortable to choose a skirt, any regular dude should feel just as comfy without the need to sound out HR, prepare everyone first etc as if the world will end... :roll:

There was a poster here who started wearing skirts to work driving buses, I doubt the journey on his bus would be any different to someone in shorts.

I used to work for DHL in the 90s, and the uniform consisted of some very uncomfortable trousers, I may have chosen a skirt if there was a choice for comfort, but for most it's not going to be something agonized over. Some guys may pick the skirt, some may not. It would be good to see if other firms with uniforms offer the option, such as UPS etc :mrgreen:

EDIT:- it's quite telling that the comments section is empty, as it's a non event. Daily Fail were fishing for the usual "I've never been so appalled... not flying with them again!" comments from the usual flustered keyboard warriors, but times are changing :) When they posted a picture of A$AP Rocky in a leather skirt a few weeks ago, most complained the paper called it a kilt as it was leather... and straight cut with a slit at the back :roll:
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Brad wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:25 pm I'm wondering how the average population would feel about flying on a plane with a male (assigned at birth) wearing a skirt and heels.
The same as they would feel flying on a plane with a (genetic) female pilot wearing heels -- very worried!.  If you are concerned about the sex of the pilot, you should know that at least one British Airways pilot [now retired] was transgender and some of the RAF Hercules based at Lyneham had mixed or all-women crews.  There doesn't seem to be any connection between the ability to give birth to children and the ability to fly a plane -- as long as they don't both happen at the same time.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Good for Virgin!

Great looks. I’d jump into that skirt suit on a shot! Heels, tights and all.

I would however prefer the Mark Bryan approach - shirt, (shorter) jacket and tie above the waist; skirt, tights and heels below.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

'I bet pilots would rather have a pay rise!'
I bet they would too. I also bet if there were or weren't getting a pay raise, it had nothing to do with an inclusive uniform policy.

I don't understand this rant... how does treating people with dignity and allowing them to express themselves cost money from the bottom line, thus resulting in a lack of funding for hypothetical pay raises? If anything, you'd think it would boost morale, which often boost productivity and lessens employee turnover, which in turn saves a company considerable money.

If I were one of the powers that be, I'd gladly encourage my employees to "bring the whole selves to work", not because I'm "woke", but because it just makes good business sense, especially now that virtually all major and mid sized employers, not to mention many, many smaller employers are doing the same thing. But not only that, but I love seeing people happy. Look at those closeup individual shots of the Tyreece and and Jamie, that happiness in genuine, it makes me smile just seeing it. It's like a beautiful flower that has finally had the chance to blossom after years, possibly decades of being forbidden to.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

moonshadow wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:52 am
'I bet pilots would rather have a pay rise!'
I bet they would too. I also bet if there were or weren't getting a pay raise, it had nothing to do with an inclusive uniform policy.
Yeah - airlines change up their uniforms all the time, they factor this into everything. I figure, if the airlines aren't spending it on uniforms, they'll just put it towards marketing, or line their exec's pockets. Not anti-big business, just being realistic.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Notice all people identifying as more male wear burgundy and all identifying more as female wear red?
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

STEVIE wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:10 pm
Coder wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:45 pm But if they offered a kilt? People would instinctively know that was a real possibility.
On another thread, in different airspace we had already started discussing this very topic, but this is new.
Guess what there is a "Virgin" tartan which has to be vergin' on the same absurdity level as "Koala.
Here it is
I like this tartan. Bet it would look good on their planes as another option. Having the entire staff wear a kilt like garment of this tartan would be saying something.

Makes you wonder though, why did they go through the trouble to make a “Virgin” tartan? Perhaps there will be a future outfit coming??
Hendy

Post by Hendy »

I know that there is zero chance adopting this policy