Are male skirts about to be the next fashion essential?

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
ScotL
Chatbot

Re: Are male skirts about to be the next fashion essential?

Post by ScotL »

Coder wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:25 pm I hate to be skeptical myself - and I post a lot of articles - but I’m very cynical when it comes to skirts being commonplace. The more I reflect on it, the less I care about widespread adoption. I’d like to see them as an option in the stores for men - I’d like people to drop the “skirt = woman” correlation. Heck - actually - I just want my immediate family members to accept it.
I think we’re skeptical because we want it now and are understandably inpatient. How long did it take for men to not wear skirts after pants came into the picture? How long did it take from the time the first woman to wear pants until womens clothing sections had a pants section.

I’m thinking it’s gonna take longer than it took women to adopt pants but the increased number of articles is a good thing. Definitely not a bad one.

And you’re right. Skirts on men will not ever be something that is commonplace until it becomes commonplace. May sound like double speak but how do you define commonplace. It’s impossible to wish for something that we can’t define. But I’m with you, I want it to be something I wear and am accepted for. That occurs when more men wear it and it becomes commonplace.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Coder wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:25 pm I hate to be skeptical myself - and I post a lot of articles - but I’m very cynical when it comes to skirts being commonplace. The more I reflect on it, the less I care about widespread adoption. I’d like to see them as an option in the stores for men - I’d like people to drop the “skirt = woman” correlation. Heck - actually - I just want my immediate family members to accept it.
I'm pretty much there already. I'm where I want to be, and so far all males have the option, what more do we really need? It's not illegal, it likely won't cause any major life upsets, strangers and businesses pretty much treat you the same... what's the problem?

There is no problem.

If a man wants to wear a skirt, there is absolutely no barrier before him... just do it!

Ironically, when you come to the place I'm at with this, you may find that skirts become less of a fashion statement and simply more of just something you like to wear from time to time, thus you may find yourself wearing pants a little more often since you no longer have anything to prove.... you know, kinda like women do.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

I'm with you moonshadow, I prefer to wear skirts and do so most days and just don't give a hoot what others who may encounter me have to say about my choice of clothing.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

moonshadow wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:43 pm
I'm pretty much there already. I'm where I want to be, and so far all males have the option, what more do we really need? It's not illegal, it likely won't cause any major life upsets, strangers and businesses pretty much treat you the same... what's the problem?

There is no problem.

If a man wants to wear a skirt, there is absolutely no barrier before him... just do it!

Ironically, when you come to the place I'm at with this, you may find that skirts become less of a fashion statement and simply more of just something you like to wear from time to time, thus you may find yourself wearing pants a little more often since you no longer have anything to prove.... you know, kinda like women do.
So you never feel nerves ever when you wear a skirt publicly? Like you could go into any place regardless of who’s there or what kind of biker bar it was? I’m asking cause I feel I’ll get to a place where I can wear more comfortably but that there’s also gonna be places where I’ll feel self conscious
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

ScotL wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:08 am So you never feel nerves ever when you wear a skirt publicly? Like you could go into any place regardless of who’s there or what kind of biker bar it was? I’m asking cause I feel I’ll get to a place where I can wear more comfortably but that there’s also gonna be places where I’ll feel self conscious
Well of course there are places that I'd feel nervous, but I'd feel that way regardless of what I was wearing.

I also wear pants when I feel it will give me an advantage in a situation, or reduce the odds of a given situation going very badly.

Many women do this too. I guess skirts for me has becomes less of a statement and more of a general lifestyle whereas I weigh what I may want to wear against what may or may not be appropriate for a particular situation.

I've worn pants on very windy days because I just don't feel like fighting with a skirt all day.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

moonshadow wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:46 am
ScotL wrote: So you never feel nerves ever when you wear a skirt publicly? Like you could go into any place regardless of who’s there or what kind of biker bar it was? I’m asking cause I feel I’ll get to a place where I can wear more comfortably but that there’s also gonna be places where I’ll feel self conscious
Well of course there are places that I'd feel nervous, but I'd feel that way regardless of what I was wearing.

I also wear pants when I feel it will give me an advantage in a situation, or reduce the odds of a given situation going very badly.

Many women do this too. I guess skirts for me has becomes less of a statement and more of a general lifestyle whereas I weigh what I may want to wear against what may or may not be appropriate for a particular situation.

I've worn pants on very windy days because I just don't feel like fighting with a skirt all day.
I’m not trying to make a statement, of course. I long for the day when I feel like I can make that choice without much hassle or angst. Right now it’s - if I’m with family I’m in pants, if by myself depends but most of the time in a skirt because it’s the only time I can.

And just the other day I was at a junkyard - two to be exact. Neither of those places would I ever wear a skirt to. Dressed in jeans I felt small and out of my element at the service desks, and thought - what would these guys think of me if I wore a skirt there. At the cars I felt at home around the beautiful junk, but that’s for another topic and artistic endeavor (my trip was practical this time).
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

moonshadow wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:46 am
Thank you, this is very helpful to me. Not sure what situation pants give you an advantage. But the fact even you don’t feel comfortable in certain situations as a man in a skirt is honestly normalizing to me.

Still got work to do.

Also makes me wonder if these situations where it could go bad would be influenced by the skirt? Movies like Braveheart make men in skirts (kilts sure but what are kilts actually?) really manly. Especially when they’re a historic goof since William Wallace’s times didn’t have guys in kilts. But if a tough a$$ man walked into that place wearing some masculine outfit that also was a kilt, would there be a different reaction than a guy walking in with a flowing flowery skirt and more feminine appearing tops and shoes?

I wonder this because I have a feeling women wouldn’t necessarily wear flowery skirts in a biker bar as the other women would get on them for it.

So is it the skirt or the whole ensemble? The man wearing a skirt is clearly another level but what if he was wearing a tough looking utility kilt? I forgot that I once saw a guy at a tournament wearing a utility kilt. And he otherwise looked like he walked out of a “biker bar”.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Coder wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:12 am
And just the other day I was at a junkyard - two to be exact. Neither of those places would I ever wear a skirt to. Dressed in jeans I felt small and out of my element at the service desks, and thought - what would these guys think of me if I wore a skirt there.
This is my worry also. I seem to lose a bunch of confidence in myself when I wear a skirt/kilt due to my insecurities about what I’m wearing. Just feel out of my element. It’s getting better. Crap, I was just asked by a neighbor why I didn’t wear my kilt to a funeral for a friend.

There’s clearly a time and place for a skirt and working in areas where you may have to climb over and dig stuff out doesn’t seem like a good place.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

ScotL wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:08 am So you never feel nerves ever when you wear a skirt publicly? Like you could go into any place regardless of who’s there or what kind of biker bar it was? I’m asking cause I feel I’ll get to a place where I can wear more comfortably but that there’s also gonna be places where I’ll feel self conscious
Like no Scott, nerves maybe, but skirts definitely.
There are places I would not go, whatever I was wearing and people or occasions that I will make compromises for as I choose and on my own terms.
My personal philosophy is that, in this way I may just be making it that little bit easier for the next guy who wants to wear a skirt as he would wish.
Aside from clothes, I also hope that I show that there is all manner of "choices" to be made by one and all too.
Be yourself is what I am saying because, if you cannot, who are you anyway?
That is not aimed at you personally but when I achieved my own "self", that led to the biggest improvement in my mental state ever.
The liberation is quite awesome.
Steve.
photoguy207
Member Extraordinaire

Post by photoguy207 »

moonshadow wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:43 pm Ironically, when you come to the place I'm at with this, you may find that skirts become less of a fashion statement and simply more of just something you like to wear from time to time, thus you may find yourself wearing pants a little more often since you no longer have anything to prove.... you know, kinda like women do.
This has happened to me the past several months after wearing skirts out and about a lot. Some days I feel like, it’s not a skirt day. Never thought I would think that! Then others, I feel like wearing a skirt. Love having the choice!!
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

ScotL wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:42 am
moonshadow wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:46 amI also wear pants when I feel it will give me an advantage in a situation, or reduce the odds of a
given situation going very badly.
Thank you, this is very helpful to me. Not sure what situation pants give you an advantage. But the fact
even you don’t feel comfortable in certain situations as a man in a skirt is honestly normalizing to me.
Moonshadow works in repairing industrial food processing machines. Getting down on the floor,
or crawling under a machine, can get quite messy(grease).
ScotL wrote:I was just asked by a neighbor why I didn’t wear my kilt to a funeral for a friend.
At my wife's funeral in August of 2021, I got up from the pew and went to the podium. I was wearing a
black skirt that matched my suit coat, white shirt and tie, and read the Merrit Malloy poem: "Epitaph"

“When I die
Give what’s left of me away
To children
And old men that wait to die.

And if you need to cry,
Cry for your brother
Walking the street beside you
And when you need me,
Put your arms
Around anyone
And give to them
What you need to give to me.

I want to leave you something,
Something better
Than words
Or sounds.

Look for me
In the people I’ve known
Or loved,
And if you cannot give me away,
At least let me live in your eyes
And not on your mind.

You can love me most
By letting
Hands touch hands
By letting
Bodies touch bodies
And by letting go
Of children
That need to be free.

Love doesn’t die,
People do.
So, when all that’s left of me
Is love,
Give me away”

― Merrit Malloy

This was hard to do, after 49 years and 2 months of marriage but,
I barely made it through the reading, and survived.

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Uncle Al wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:52 am
ScotL wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:42 am
moonshadow wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:46 amI also wear pants when I feel it will give me an advantage in a situation, or reduce the odds of a
given situation going very badly.
Thank you, this is very helpful to me. Not sure what situation pants give you an advantage. But the fact
even you don’t feel comfortable in certain situations as a man in a skirt is honestly normalizing to me.
Moonshadow works in repairing industrial food processing machines. Getting down on the floor,
or crawling under a machine, can get quite messy(grease).
ScotL wrote:I was just asked by a neighbor why I didn’t wear my kilt to a funeral for a friend.
At my wife's funeral in August of 2021, I got up from the pew and went to the podium. I was wearing a
black skirt that matched my suit coat, white shirt and tie, and read the Merrit Malloy poem: "Epitaph"

“When I die
Give what’s left of me away
To children
And old men that wait to die.

And if you need to cry,
Cry for your brother
Walking the street beside you
And when you need me,
Put your arms
Around anyone
And give to them
What you need to give to me.

I want to leave you something,
Something better
Than words
Or sounds.

Look for me
In the people I’ve known
Or loved,
And if you cannot give me away,
At least let me live in your eyes
And not on your mind.

You can love me most
By letting
Hands touch hands
By letting
Bodies touch bodies
And by letting go
Of children
That need to be free.

Love doesn’t die,
People do.
So, when all that’s left of me
Is love,
Give me away”

― Merrit Malloy

This was hard to do, after 49 years and 2 months of marriage but,
I barely made it through the reading, and survived.

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Sorry for your loss. The loss of family is hard and sadly I know the pain never truly goes away. I wish you peace in your future.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

moonshadow wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:43 pm I'm pretty much there already. I'm where I want to be, and so far all males have the option, what more do we really need? It's not illegal, it likely won't cause any major life upsets, strangers and businesses pretty much treat you the same... what's the problem?

There is no problem.
I wear skirts most of the time with no apparent reaction from people almost always. But here's my problem. I really don't like calling attention to myself--that's me and my desires. As long as skirts are so rare, I feel I must be calling attention to myself. I'm willing to be visible and unusual for a cause--I'm part of a weekly peace vigil in front of our county courthouse--and I see this as a cause of equality, so, with comfort being the main factor, I continue to wear skirts. I just wish it was commonplace so that it was no more noticed than whether I was wearing blue or black denim jeans.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Jim wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:28 am I feel I must be calling attention to myself.
I'm glad you brought that up. I've debated on starting a thread for that very subject. I myself try to keep my vanity in check. For my entire life I've aimed to br humble and not display excessive vanity or pomp.

My desire to wear skirts complicates this and has resulted in some cognitive dissonance. It's a vexing question, "how can I satisfy my soul's desire to embrace my more feminine side without succumbing to vanity?" It's quite the catch 22 as femininity is greatly tied to vanity.

It's an issue that nags my spirit often.
-Andrea
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

moonshadow wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:08 pm
Jim wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:28 am I feel I must be calling attention to myself.
I'm glad you brought that up. I've debated on starting a thread for that very subject. I myself try to keep my vanity in check. For my entire life I've aimed to br humble and not display excessive vanity or pomp.

My desire to wear skirts complicates this and has resulted in some cognitive dissonance. It's a vexing question, "how can I satisfy my soul's desire to embrace my more feminine side without succumbing to vanity?" It's quite the catch 22 as femininity is greatly tied to vanity.

It's an issue that nags my spirit often.
Yes - please start that thread.