Are male skirts about to be the next fashion essential?

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Are male skirts about to be the next fashion essential?

Post by phathack »

https://www.euronews.com/culture/2022/0 ... -essential

I just post a link to the story, not the story itself when the article is a longer read with lots of photos.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Are male skirts about to be the next fashion essential?

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Phatback,
I really do get where these articles are coming from, and this response may ruffle some feathers.
However, male skirts have been "about to become the next fashion essential" for several years now.
Personally, I don't know or even really care if it will ever actually happen.
What I am certain of is that repetition of the same hype ad nauseum will not make it happen any sooner, if at all.
Before I am pilloried as a cynic and pessimist, I hold no one responsible for this situation except men themselves.
It is our very own inertia and complacency which is so deeply embedded that has allowed the world to overtake us in so many ways.
We have a hell of a lot of catch-up to achieve I hate to say.
That said, sharing them is no bad thing either, so thank you for trying.
Steve.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

STEVIE wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:52 am
What I am certain of is that repetition of the same hype ad nauseum will not make it happen any sooner, if at all.
Hello Steve,

I am going to respectfully disagree with you. In todays age of influencers and social media, the way new clothing styles get accepted is by seeing them on the internet and sported by the influencers. I personally have abject hatred of these things but I work with young adults and “repetition of the same hype” is exactly what makes a trend happen.

We can choose to believe this is not real but reality is just that. Personally, I don’t like it but would be happy if it did make it happen sooner.

You may not care if other men start wearing skirts, and I truly think that’s an awesome attitude, but I do care. I really care because for me, I’d get to wear a skirt and feel more comfortable due to it being accepted way earlier than otherwise.

Some will lambast me and use the Nike slogan to “just do it” because they have been able to do this. I respect others ability to do this and ask that they respect my personal situation that I cannot “just do it” right now.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

ScotL wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:39 amWe can choose to believe this is not real but reality is just that. Personally, I don’t like it but would be happy if it did make it happen sooner.

You may not care if other men start wearing skirts, and I truly think that’s an awesome attitude, but I do care. I really care because for me, I’d get to wear a skirt and feel more comfortable due to it being accepted way earlier than otherwise.
There are three roles here to choose from, and the choice of which one plays is entirely up to him. There's the active role, where one gets out and commits the actions of attempting to move the idea forward, there's the passive role in which one chooses to wait for someone else to get the ball rolling, and there's the don't care role where the matter is not remotely important to one.

In this regard, the largest segment of men likely fall into the "don't care" role because the matter has no relevance to them; they are happy with the status quo. The other two belong to the faction that does care, and that's where a decision needs to be made about taking either the active or passive role. The ones who adopt the active are deliberately trying to get accepted, and are taking the risks to make this happen; the ones playing the passive role are waiting in the wings hoping that the "actives" prevail.

It's a decision, and the decision lies with every may who cares.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

crfriend wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:38 pm
ScotL wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:39 amWe can choose to believe this is not real but reality is just that. Personally, I don’t like it but would be happy if it did make it happen sooner.

There are three roles here to choose from, and the choice of which one plays is entirely up to him. There's the active role, where one gets out and commits the actions of attempting to move the idea forward, there's the passive role in which one chooses to wait for someone else to get the ball rolling, and there's the don't care role where the matter is not remotely important to one.

In this regard, the largest segment of men likely fall into the "don't care" role because the matter has no relevance to them; they are happy with the status quo. The other two belong to the faction that does care, and that's where a decision needs to be made about taking either the active or passive role. The ones who adopt the active are deliberately trying to get accepted, and are taking the risks to make this happen; the ones playing the passive role are waiting in the wings hoping that the "actives" prevail.

It's a decision, and the decision lies with every may who cares.
Seems like an oversimplification to me. I think most men here are active but to various degrees. Not everyone can just go all out. I think we should respect everyone for what they do at the speed they do.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

The article was almost entirely about fashion and the stars' use of fashion. Nothing in it about the transference or translation of that fashion into clothing ( dresses/skirts ) for the common man.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

I tend to the view that the more men who are seen in skirts the better, whatever the context. I have been reading about how skirts for men are about to take off since the mid 1990s, and I got fed up waiting for it to happen, until I realized that a lot of other people were also waitng for it to happen, and that it was up to me to help get the ball rolling.
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

In the past, there was a news story about men in skirts posted every couple of years.
To see one coming out every couple of weeks in 2021 and 2022 made me think something new was happening and that it might finally become a thing.

It really does not make much difference in my life, I wear skits daily it's just the way I dress now.
I have a couple of friends that would probably not want to be seen around me when I'm wearing a skirt so I defer to them on the occasion that we are out running around together.

One of them knows I wear skirts as he stopped by to drop stuff off and I was wearing a skirt when I went out to help unload his Van.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Sinned wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:16 pm The article was almost entirely about fashion and the stars' use of fashion. Nothing in it about the transference or translation of that fashion into clothing ( dresses/skirts ) for the common man.
Never heard the term “binmen“ but that seems to describe a common man no?

Here’s a quote from the article “From Hollywood superstars to local binmen, men around the globe are dropping their trousers and starting a skirt revolution.”
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

ScotL wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:10 am Never heard the term “binmen“ but that seems to describe a common man no?

Here’s a quote from the article “From Hollywood superstars to local binmen, men around the globe are dropping their trousers and starting a skirt revolution.”
Binmen are the Trash-men/Garbage-men in Jolly Ole England and other British providences.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

The bin/garbage man, singular, arises from this article
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-y ... e-62138708.
ScotL wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:10 am Never heard the term “binmen“ but that seems to describe a common man no?
It does Scot, but this was just a one-off stunt and no indicator of a mass movement to men wearing skirts.
With the same respect you afforded my comments, there is no indication to support the "dropping" trousers and repetition alone will just not make it so.
Meantime, I'll just carry on regardless
Steve.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

STEVIE wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:38 am The bin/garbage man, singular, arises from this article
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-y ... e-62138708.
It does Scot, but this was just a one-off stunt and no indicator of a mass movement to men wearing skirts.
With the same respect you afforded my comments, there is no indication to support the "dropping" trousers and repetition alone will just not make it so.
Meantime, I'll just carry on regardless
Steve.
Some see the glass half full, some see it half empty. And even so, others see it as the glass is twice as big as it needs to be. This last one is known as realism. The fact there is an article written on the subject of men wearing skirts and includes Brad Pitt and a bin man, is just that. One article. Pessimists see it as not enough and optimists see it as the voice from above proclaiming the normalization of men wearing skirts.

It is but one article. It will impact the readers of said article. I view it as a good thing but also understand it is but one article. I remain happy it was written and is positive.
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

ScotL wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:48 am It is but one article. It will impact the readers of said article. I view it as a good thing but also understand it is but one article. I remain happy it was written and is positive.
One article of over a dozen articles in different newspapers and magazines this year, 2022.
That's more articles about men wearing skirts since I joined this form 10 years ago.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

No idea about the number of articles but here are a couple of dates.
David Hall gave an interview on the Phil Donohue Show in 1982 to advocate men wearing skirts.
Jean Paul Gautier launched his first skirt designs for men in 1984.
The skirts for men movement is still stuck at the catwalk/high end fashion level so "essential" is not exactly appropriate.
When we can buy our own skirts at equal cost to the ladies, then maybe?
Using the "glass" analogy, we don't even have enough for a sip yet.
Steve.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

I hate to be skeptical myself - and I post a lot of articles - but I’m very cynical when it comes to skirts being commonplace. The more I reflect on it, the less I care about widespread adoption. I’d like to see them as an option in the stores for men - I’d like people to drop the “skirt = woman” correlation. Heck - actually - I just want my immediate family members to accept it.