Dutch Seamstress Makes Dresses fo Boys

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Dutch Seamstress Makes Dresses fo Boys

Post by Stu »

My Dutch is far from perfect, but I did spot this article about a woman who is offering and marketing dresses and skirts for boys and I could make out most of what was being said - until it hit the paywall.

https://www.ed.nl/de-peel/oud-eindhoven ... ~a85eac35/

r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Dutch Seamstress Makes Dresses fo Boys

Post by r.m.anderson »

Hit that paywall right away with Cookies Permission - so I guess that a picture is going to tell me all I need to know.
Damn if I am going to give cookie permission !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

She has started a website:

https://www.littleprincecharming.com/

The little videos are quite encouraging.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

Stu wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:31 pm She has started a website:

https://www.littleprincecharming.com/

The little videos are quite encouraging.
Thank you for posting. I looked at her site and the blogs on it. I am quite impressed. I do believe this lady totally understands. I like the blogs where she explains the history of men, dresses, and skirts. This was quite a refreshing article in a world where everyone seems to be at war with each other!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Here is the acorn, lets hope it develops to the mighty oak.
Steve.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

For the non-Dutch speakers who got stuck on the paywall. Google translate, so some errors.
Oud-Eindhovense makes cool dresses for boys: 'The Romans also used to fight in dresses'

NEDERWEERT - Her 3-year-old daughter likes to wear bright pink dresses full of glitter. Joyce Dur's 4-year-old son suddenly asked at the beginning of April whether he could also go to school in such a dress. Of course, but Dur immediately decided to design two cool boys' dresses himself.

After her son's question, Dur first scours the internet. The ex-Eindhovense, now living in Nederweert, types in various searches: boys' dresses and dresses for boys in English. All she finds are parents of boys who are also looking for a boy's dress.

She then takes up the pen herself and makes some sketches. Special, because in daily life she works as a freelancer in Information Technology. Yet she also has a creative background, having studied photography at the art academy.

After the first sketches, she calls in professionals, such as a designer from Germany and a studio in Ede. The boys' dresses differ in some respects from the girls' version. ,,I prefer the colors that you often see in boys' clothing: ocher yellow and navy blue,' she explains. ,,I also use other prints. For example, I have one with Princess on it, but with the two ss crossed out.”

Romans also fought in dresses

The boys' dresses are also practical in everyday life, says the Nederweertse who has renamed her company with the same website as Little Prince Charming. ,,Boys can just play football, clamber, everything. The dresses are wide at the bottom and I have one with a split on the side. So they are vandal proof. The Romans used to fight in dresses too.”

Small collection to start with

Dur starts with a small collection of one hundred items of clothing, the prices of which are 68.99 and 63.99 euros. Based on the upcoming requests, she is looking at whether the collection can be expanded. She is already thinking of a summer collection of boys' dresses with tulle incorporated.

They are for boys from 1.5 to 7 years old. “It's a gamble whether it will work. I do know that I have gained a lot more followers on social media since the message about this.”

When he first wore a dress, someone said: are you a girl. Then he said: No, boys wear this too

Her son is now overjoyed with his boy's dress. The reactions from his immediate environment are mainly positive, says Dur. “His school is also doing well. When he first wore a dress, someone said: are you a girl? Then he said: No, boys wear this too.”

There are also parents who think it's cool that he wears this. ,,My son certainly does not understand that others find this special and I like to keep it that way. Young children themselves do not yet see a blueprint of society for boys and girls clothes, they see fabrics and prints that they like.”

Being able to discover oneself

Dur hopes to achieve something with her designs: ,,That wearing dresses is the same for everyone, in this way I hope to be able to contribute to a more tolerant world. A world that makes it easier for children of all kinds to grow up, be equal and discover themselves.”
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Stu wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:25 pm My Dutch is far from perfect, but I did spot this article about a woman who is offering and marketing dresses and skirts for boys and I could make out most of what was being said - until it hit the paywall.

https://www.ed.nl/de-peel/oud-eindhoven ... ~a85eac35/

Start them when they’re young. A phrase that could be taken to allow them to enjoy life without oppressive societal norms or a phrase that could be taken as a groomer. So stupid but can easily see whack jobs objecting to her efforts and calling it the pussification of males.

My good friend has a son who wants to wear dresses like his sister but they don’t let him cause they’re afraid he’ll get beat up. Possibly true and he’s just being worried for his son. But everyone knows he likely will wear them secretly when he lives with his parents and maybe not so secretly when he doesn’t live with his parents.

This causes a lot of angst. Wounds created Solely by societal norms. I’m glad this woman is making a go of this.
TSH
Distinguished Member

Post by TSH »

While I'm happy for both the mother and her son, I feel the world is not ready for this yet. I can imagine a bunch of morons screaming "CHILD ABUSE!!!", while leaving out the fact that the boy wants to wear dresses and skirts. I've seen this stupidity so many times where a woman — usually someone famous, allows (keyword: "allows", NOT "forces") a son of hers to wear conventionally "feminine" attire, people get up-in-arms about it; it's so absurd and hypocritical because hardly anyone says a damn thing if a girl wanted to experiment with boyish styles and behavioral traits. Let's hope this seamstress doesn't catch too much heat for this.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

There's also the question of how the boys will be treated when they turn school-age and are first exposed to the wonderful world of school-yard bullying which is alive and well because it's tolerated (and sometimes used) by the administration. The little ones should be apprised of that inevitability well in advance.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

crfriend wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:36 pm There's also the question of how the boys will be treated when they turn school-age and are first exposed to the wonderful world of school-yard bullying which is alive and well because it's tolerated (and sometimes used) by the administration. The little ones should be apprised of that inevitability well in advance.
Actually, I think times have changed more than you may realise. My eldest daughter told me about her best friend's little boy - who is about seven now - has been attending primary school in dresses intermittently for a couple of years. Apparently, on the first occasion on a hot day, some of his friends asked him why he was wearing a dress and he said it was too warm for trousers. That was it. Nobody was interested after that - Kyle sometimes wears a dress to school. Big deal. Who cares? He does live in an affluent area, and it is only primary school, so it could be different if he lived in a poorer, tougher district and he might have a different experience if he does this in secondary school, bit so far no problem.

My daughter-in-law is a teacher at a secondary school herself and she has had a few trans Years 10 and 11 students who have turned up in school skirts and people just accept it - because they are trans. Picking on trans kids would be as unacceptable as picking on kids because they were black or Jewish. Everyone knows that's a no-no.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

TSH wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:25 am While I'm happy for both the mother and her son, I feel the world is not ready for this yet. I can imagine a bunch of morons screaming "CHILD ABUSE!!!", while leaving out the fact that the boy wants to wear dresses and skirts. I've seen this stupidity so many times where a woman — usually someone famous, allows (keyword: "allows", NOT "forces") a son of hers to wear conventionally "feminine" attire, people get up-in-arms about it; it's so absurd and hypocritical because hardly anyone says a damn thing if a girl wanted to experiment with boyish styles and behavioral traits. Let's hope this seamstress doesn't catch too much heat for this.
Totally agree, but I am so over caring what the world thinks. Guarantee the world does whatever is right in their own eyes and we would be shocked to know what they do behind closed doors. So they can kiss my you know what! Sick of all the bickering and arguing. Live and let live.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Stu wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:05 pm He does live in an affluent area, and it is only primary school, so it could be different if he lived in a poorer, tougher district and he might have a different experience if he does this in secondary school, bit so far no problem.
I'm in broad agreement with Stu on this one.
I can certainly think of local primary schools where the experiences would be quite different and affluence a major factor.
As for secondary, a boy in a skirt would have to be very very brave.
Still comes down to absolute conformity means absolutely nothing changes.
In this instance parents will have to be just as up for it as their sons too though.
Steve.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

On a related note this company is making skirts they advertise for all kids:

https://stereotypekids.com/pages/our-company
StereoType is a line of kids clothing that envisions a new world free from limits on expression and joy. Neither gender-neutral nor unisex, StereoType breaks down boundaries and blends these ideas together to create fun and functional clothing to support a child’s own unique style. Because being true to one’s style should never be limited by the gendered “rules” around what we should wear.
I think this is an interesting way of avoiding the whole "unisex" and "gender-neutral" language of today. Prices are very expensive for clothes that will last for such short a time... but I'm guessing the market she is targeting can bear the expense.

Also - does this blog post ring a bell with anyone here?

https://stereotypekids.com/blogs/news/a ... ed-fashion
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

Coder wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:10 am
Also - does this blog post ring a bell with anyone here?

Reminds me of primary.com that make dresses for both girls and boys and they are marketed as such:

https://www.primary.com/blogs/using-our ... rs-dresses

ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Stu wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:05 pm
crfriend wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:36 pm There's also the question of how the boys will be treated when they turn school-age and are first exposed to the wonderful world of school-yard bullying which is alive and well because it's tolerated (and sometimes used) by the administration. The little ones should be apprised of that inevitability well in advance.
Actually, I think times have changed more than you may realise. My eldest daughter told me about her best friend's little boy - who is about seven now - has been attending primary school in dresses intermittently for a couple of years. Apparently, on the first occasion on a hot day, some of his friends asked him why he was wearing a dress and he said it was too warm for trousers. That was it. Nobody was interested after that - Kyle sometimes wears a dress to school. Big deal. Who cares? He does live in an affluent area, and it is only primary school, so it could be different if he lived in a poorer, tougher district and he might have a different experience if he does this in secondary school, bit so far no problem.

My daughter-in-law is a teacher at a secondary school herself and she has had a few trans Years 10 and 11 students who have turned up in school skirts and people just accept it - because they are trans. Picking on trans kids would be as unacceptable as picking on kids because they were black or Jewish. Everyone knows that's a no-no.
The “wear a skirt cause it’s cooler” is truth. I mean that due to the temperature meaning for “cool” but it hopefully it will also encompass the other cool