VI: Gender-Neutral Dress Code Allowing Girls to Wear Pants, Boys to Wear Skirts if They So Choose Introduced by Board of

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
ScotL
Chatbot

Re: VI: Gender-Neutral Dress Code Allowing Girls to Wear Pants, Boys to Wear Skirts if They So Choose Introduced by Boar

Post by ScotL »

crfriend wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:05 am
ScotL wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:16 pm[... C]onsider the two possibilities. The new dress code either only mentions girls can wear pants or mentions girls can wear pants and boys can wear skirts. Which of those two scenarios is more advanced than the other?
Both are nonsense. The former is merely a codification of the de-facto stance of the pat 50 years where the girls get an automatic pass. The second was made with the full knowledge that the boys will keep each other in line by way of bullying, which the administration always looks away from. Deliberately.

I was unmercifully bullied for years, in spite of my size and power, because I was "different" (I was large and slightly ungainly), and in spite of numerous appeals to The Administration nothing was done -- until one time when I'd had enough and let drive with one punch that took out several teeth and likely gave the recipient a concussion; I wound up with a cut-up fist. Guess who got censured. No, the administration is not going to be forward-looking in anything like this.
No, the administration here is not being forward thinking. Yes, they always turn a blind eye to bullies because it’s usually he said versus he said. They always punish the one who beat up the other. They need a victim and a perpetrator.

But in this case, yes, it’s a minor point, but I’m surprised they mentioned boys could wear skirts at all. That to me is the progress. Remarkably small. Unlikely to affect anything in their present day activities.

But thinking they didn’t have to mention that boys could wear skirts at all, they did mention it. Why?
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: VI: Gender-Neutral Dress Code Allowing Girls to Wear Pants, Boys to Wear Skirts if They So Choose Introduced by Boar

Post by crfriend »

ScotL wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:16 amBut thinking they didn’t have to mention that boys could wear skirts at all, they did mention it. Why?
So as to appear as forward-thinking. It's all part of the PC (Political Correctness) environment we're forced into now. It's all toothless gum-flapping unless they back it up in the unforeseen event that some lad does dare to break the taboo. I doubt that I'll live to see that day.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

crfriend wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:21 am
ScotL wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:16 amBut thinking they didn’t have to mention that boys could wear skirts at all, they did mention it. Why?
So as to appear as forward-thinking. It's all part of the PC (Political Correctness) environment we're forced into now. It's all toothless gum-flapping unless they back it up in the unforeseen even that some lad does dare to break the taboo. I doubt that I'll live to see that day.
Maybe. We’ll never know. But when I was in the islands, PC wasn’t a thing despite it being a serious thing in the States. That’s why it surprised me. It’s a minor thing. Just thought it amazing they mentioned it at all
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

It's not really a choice for the males.
It's even started in the article that males don't wear skirts.
Skirts for the boys, not a option.

Quoted directly from the article.

"To assuage concerns on the matter of boys wearing skirts, Mr. Callwood stated, "We know in our community males don't wear skirts, so that's something known."

He added, "We had no cases in St. Thomas where any male wanted to wear any skirt to school. We have no cases with that, so all the males will be coming to school in a pants." "
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Virtue Signaling as Camoflage

Post by Grok »

There is the assumption that The Powers That Be stand behind their official dress code. They have you fooled, which is the intention. The point is to evade Political Correctness by seeming to comply with it.

Awhile back another version of evasion was mentioned, concerning Trans. A way to pre-empt clothing issue was to mandate that all students wear trousers. Seemingly promoting equality, while actually relieving the Powers of the need to deal with Trans.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

mishawakaskirt wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:19 pm It's not really a choice for the males.
It's even started in the article that males don't wear skirts.
Skirts for the boys, not a option.

Quoted directly from the article.

"To assuage concerns on the matter of boys wearing skirts, Mr. Callwood stated, "We know in our community males don't wear skirts, so that's something known."

He added, "We had no cases in St. Thomas where any male wanted to wear any skirt to school. We have no cases with that, so all the males will be coming to school in a pants." "
I don’t argue with any of this. But my point remains, they didn’t need to even mention that boys could wear skirts. But they did.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

ScotL wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:29 pmI don’t argue with any of this. But my point remains, they didn’t need to even mention that boys could wear skirts. But they did.
They wanted to appear P.C. Nothing more. It was disingenuous from the get-go.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

crfriend wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:34 am
ScotL wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:29 pmI don’t argue with any of this. But my point remains, they didn’t need to even mention that boys could wear skirts. But they did.
They wanted to appear P.C. Nothing more. It was disingenuous from the get-go.
Not arguing that point. My point is it’s even mentioned. Boys can wear skirts. As an official proclamation it’s mentioned. So yes, to the administration, they’re likely just being PC (don’t know for sure and assuming is always risky but it’s probable). But to everyone who read it, boys wearing skirts is mentioned as an allowed thing.

When you think about breaking down barriers, it often requires small chips in the wall here and there. We all wish there would be an all booming voice proclaiming men wearing skirts is allowed and encouraged and the masses would follow through. But that’s not how change happens usually. It’s usually constant pressure that results in small breakthroughs here and there before the masses accept it as mainstream. Like a snowball rolling downhill slowly picking up speed and size. We want the avalanche to occur sooner. But it requires constant pressure.

Like administrators being PC but without knowing it, making proclamations that introduce the idea that “boys can wear skirts”. Slow and steady. Like drops of water eroding a stone.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Metaphorical Wall

Post by Grok »

As for chipping away, what counts is wearing skirts out in public. Demonstrating that the Taboo can be flouted. Without males actually wearing skirts (dresses, jewelry, etc.....) , talk will just be talk.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Metaphorical Wall

Post by crfriend »

Grok wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:30 pmWithout males actually wearing skirts (dresses, jewelry, etc.....) , talk will just be talk.
... and there "The bleeding hearts and artists make their stand."

Indeed, for it is tough to beat your heart against some mad bugger's wall.
ScotL
Chatbot

Re: Metaphorical Wall

Post by ScotL »

Grok wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:30 pm As for chipping away, what counts is wearing skirts out in public. Demonstrating that the Taboo can be flouted. Without males actually wearing skirts (dresses, jewelry, etc.....) , talk will just be talk.
Agreed. But everything that breaks down the taboo is helpful. Some, like a male wearing a skirt in public, is more helpful and some is of minor help, mentioning boys can wear skirts. It’s all progress. For the masses of men who wouldn’t ever try a skirt, they need to see it written or printed in mainstream media.

One of the few things I’ve experienced in my life, men wearing earrings were the only thing to basically take off suddenly. When I was in school, men wearing earrings went from not discussed to super cool. Of course back then, only if you wore it in the correct ear.

No idea how this went from not spoken to cool, but I’d love to apply the same to wearing skirts as a dude
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

ScotL wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:36 am One of the few things I’ve experienced in my life, men wearing earrings were the only thing to basically take off suddenly. When I was in school, men wearing earrings went from not discussed to super cool. Of course back then, only if you wore it in the correct ear.
No idea how this went from not spoken to cool, but I’d love to apply the same to wearing skirts as a dude
Oddly, I come from a seafaring community and one gold earring, a plain hoop on a guy was common.
In the old days if a guy, literally washed up as a John Doe that ring paid for a "decent" Christian burial.
"Not Discussed to Super Cool", that is fashion and the fickle nature of public opinion.
Assuming that you are referring to the 70s/80s , I was dabbling in skirts back then and it has only taken fifty years to get to the minority stage.
It's a damn big wall!
Steve.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

STEVIE wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 2:34 am
ScotL wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:36 am One of the few things I’ve experienced in my life, men wearing earrings were the only thing to basically take off suddenly. When I was in school, men wearing earrings went from not discussed to super cool. Of course back then, only if you wore it in the correct ear.
Oddly, I come from a seafaring community and one gold earring, a plain hoop on a guy was common.
In the old days if a guy, literally washed up as a John Doe that ring paid for a "decent" Christian burial.
"Not Discussed to Super Cool", that is fashion and the fickle nature of public opinion.
Assuming that you are referring to the 70s/80s , I was dabbling in skirts back then and it has only taken fifty years to get to the minority stage.
It's a damn big wall!
Steve.
Right! To me it seems that big wall of earring wearing fell over like the wall of Jericho. One horn blast and boom, guys wearing earrings was in.

I feel the world is warming to men in skirts based on the number of articles on it. But seems there’s work to be done by showing the world normal guys wear skirts
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

ScotL wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:30 amI feel the world is warming to men in skirts based on the number of articles on it. But seems there’s work to be done by showing the world normal guys wear skirts
One needs to be careful attempting to use metrics like the comparison of spilt ink on a topic to acceptance of the topic's premise. There's frequently a disconnect.

The second part is absolutely true, and that is where "the rubber meets the road". That's why I attempt to be a bit of an ambassador on the concept. Be bold and be confident; people take to that.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

crfriend wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:23 pm
ScotL wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:30 amI feel the world is warming to men in skirts based on the number of articles on it. But seems there’s work to be done by showing the world normal guys wear skirts
One needs to be careful attempting to use metrics like the comparison of spilt ink on a topic to acceptance of the topic's premise. There's frequently a disconnect.

The second part is absolutely true, and that is where "the rubber meets the road". That's why I attempt to be a bit of an ambassador on the concept. Be bold and be confident; people take to that.
There’s always a disconnect between what’s written and what’s accepted. Media writes stories on things that make news and we are all hoping a man wearing a skirt won’t make news cause it hopefully won’t be news worthy if it’s normal.

That said, a world where it’s not discussed versus a world where it is discussed in media are too different worlds. When Joe Namath wore pantyhose on an ad way back when, it made huge news because before no one talked about it. And folks were amazed to talk about it because before he wore them, guys did not wear pantyhose. They just didn’t do it wasn’t ever mentioned as a possible thing.