Best news ever - must read

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Best news ever - must read

Post by Barleymower »

https://www.standard.co.uk/insider/brad ... 19248.html

Great article and confirms what I have been saying. It's time to bare those legs. The skirts are on!

I'm out with the family tomorow and I can't wait.
Last edited by Barleymower on Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Best news ever - must read

Post by Big and Bashful »

I have worn denim skirts around Glasgow, Sheffield and London, on planes and trains and when out walking in the village, never a negative comment and hardly a look. These days I have got a bit braver and mostly on my walks I wear a navy blue skater skirt which is a firm favourite of mine, if only it had pockets! I also sometimes wear a light black A-line skirt with pockets that is almost as comfortable as the skater skirt. Tonight? it was quite windy and I thought I was going to get rained on so a long heavy khaki number was the choice. I often end up speaking to dog walkers and others on these walks and nobody has commented yet. It really is a none event, although you still won't see me in anything brightly coloured, I don't do bright!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Excellent article - dare I say something I could even send to a family member. I LOL'd at this:
My only qualm was that the mid-calf length of the Rick Owens garment made me look a bit… frumpy.
It's interesting he had dabbled in skirts before, unlike that other journalist who tried out a skirt, and you can clearly see a difference in their take on going out in one.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Coder wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:41 pmIt's interesting he had dabbled in skirts before, unlike that other journalist who tried out a skirt, and you can clearly see a difference in their take on going out in one.
I didn't find it curious in the least.

I've been conversing with a reporter from CNN/Discovery about Skirt Cafe and the community, and one of the questions she specifically asked was, "When and why did you become interested in skirts?" I related my tale of a first encounter with a bloke in a skirt in the mid 1980s, why I could not dabble in the style at the time, and how the thought came back to me in 2002 -- including the story of my first skirt, and the support I eventually received from my then-partner (who after successfully shaking off the initial cognitive dissonance was entirely supportive as all of a sudden she had somebody who actually cared about how he looked). Whether or not any of my comments get published is open to conjecture at this point, but I tried to present the matter on an even keel that men should be allowed the option of skirts as a fashion choice without excess baggage.

I can see the story linked above ringing true. For the most part, onlookers either don't notice, don't care, are enthusiastic about the idea, or politely keep their silence. It's only the extremely rare case that will cause problems, and those are usually down to alcohol/drugs issues or problems with dogma. The answer in the former case is to extract one's self from the situation, and in the latter to shred the objector using his own dogma (which is astonishingly easy).
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Coder wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:41 pm Excellent article - dare I say something I could even send to a family member.
Good article but the Best News Ever will be when it is not, News that is.
I have "dabbled" in skirts for about 60 years and been fully out in them for ten.
I still have doubts when I hear of a guy simply deciding to go skirted in the space of a heartbeat.
Amateur dramatics, Jolly Japes or childish curiosity, always some history, a back story.
The fact that we can now confidently state "fashion choice" is a recent phenomenon and sadly still not a universal one, open to all.
More articles like this one are needed ad nauseum, just grind the objectors to dust and then it will just be same old, same old, yawn yawn!
I have a dream.
Steve.
Barleymower wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:49 pm I'm out with the family tomorow and I can't wait.
Personally speaking, this is better news and more cause for hope for the future.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

According to the article, Brad Pitt said “We’re all going to die so let’s mess it up.” He was quoted years ago that men wearing skirts was about to happen. All things being relative, it didn’t then. But it feels like there’s a groundswell going on now. I hope it not just the latest flash in the pan thing that comes around every 3-4 years as the “next greatest thing”
In typical media speak.

But even though I’ve read some here state the celebrity endorsement is not as helpful, I’m in the camp that thinks any press is good press and when a celebrity does it, it reaches more people. It then takes the people to follow up on it and adopt it. I think if athletic tights and the NBA players. Boys everywhere are sporting athletic tights under shorts even if not exercising. I doubt that would’ve happened if not for the NBA celebrities wearing them to play. That legitimized them as masculine in the eyes of the lambs who follow whatever their heroes wear. And movie star celebrities have the same pull.

But in the end, I like Brads quote cause it’s the pithy version of YOLO. We regret the things we didn’t do way more than the things we did do.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

ScotL wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:33 amI like Brads quote cause it’s the pithy version of YOLO. We regret the things we didn’t do way more than the things we did do.
I quite like it as well, but it seems odd coming from a mere "bad boy" like Pitt. It's got a little bit of warrior ethic to it; they'll kill me in the end, but I'll get a few of them before I drop.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

Barleymower wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:49 pm Great article and confirms what I have been saying. It's time to bare those legs. The skirts are on!
Yes! Nice article, some good pictures, and he discusses what he finds to wear with the skirt, which is a helpful guide for those wanting to try it out and unsure how to go about it.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

STEVIE wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:29 am Personally speaking, this is better news and more cause for hope for the future.
It was a good day. I wore a long loose skirt in green (like this: ebay 144665728363). 95% acceptance. I got pushed a couple of times. I don't really ever get pushed in trousers. An older woman stopped and pointed. Another couple practically hung out of a cafe window to get a better look. Lots of blank stares.
It was a hot day and I was cool as you like. The skirt looked great and didn't balloon up once in the wind. I wore it with a white collarless tee, my usual brown boots and socks. I won't deny I struggled a bit but it was worth it. I would definitely felt worse if I had chickened out. It's who I am.
Daughter and Mum also felt a bit self conscious. Mum said she was overdressed (daughter chose her clothes). Daughter was in full non-binary, bi outfit (she's 13). She was disappointed that Brighton was not more like her. I said it has a big reputation but really only 3% is LGBT. In fact there probably is a adverse reaction from the largly 'normo' community.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Barleymower wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:10 pmpushed
Hi Barleymower,

Apart from that one word. and I'd like to think it was unconnected to the skirt, but well done for all of that and sharing too.
I have to say that your daughter sounds like quite a powerhouse and good for her on that score too.
Hell, when I was 13, "binary" was a weird thing that maths, not computer, geeks discussed in hallowed tones.
How, the world has moved on!
For yourself!
Barleymower wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:10 pm It's who I am.
Yeah, you go man! To borrow a phrase which I used yesterday in another chat, "loud and proud", while, internally just about wetting one's pants.
If that is not as good a definition of bravery or indeed, real masculinity, I am not rightly sure what is.
Your Best News gets better with each telling, keep it coming.
BTW, I am well old enough to be Grandad to your 13 year old.
Steve.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

crfriend wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:06 pm
ScotL wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:33 amI like Brads quote cause it’s the pithy version of YOLO. We regret the things we didn’t do way more than the things we did do.
I quite like it as well, but it seems odd coming from a mere "bad boy" like Pitt. It's got a little bit of warrior ethic to it; they'll kill me in the end, but I'll get a few of them before I drop.
I think the “bad boy” persona attached to skirt wearing helps normalize it for the masses. If NBA players didn’t have a tough guy/gangsta reputation would the wearing of athletic tights become what it is? Athletic mens running tights have been around for years but never were worn by “normal” folks. Fast forward to nBA players sporting tights and now I see guys wearing them everywhere. I can see the same thing happen for skirts. Especially if someone “all” the women love and who has played “bad boys”. Whether he’s really a bad boy in real life? Well, that’s why it’s called acting
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

STEVIE wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:32 am Your Best News gets better with each telling, keep it coming.
BTW, I am well old enough to be Grandad to your 13 year old.
Thanks Steve,at 56 I'm also old enough to be my daughter's grandfather
There's a lot happening at the moment with the school holidays, we are out and about every day. Come September I'll be back to the laptop, nothing to say.
Today we are down in Devon with my Dad. I turned in for breakfast in a nice blue monsoon skirt. Hulk teeshirt and my usual boots. He said you are not going like that are you? Killing himself laughing. I said I am. More micky taking followed. I admit it I like this stuff it for me but also i'm trying to do things differently than when mum was here. I encourage them to express themselves how ever they want. I'm not saying I'm doing this for them. He said he did like it when my daughter gave me what for a couple of times. He also likes the way her and ed dress. Marcus couldn't give a dam what he wears.
We walked from Broadsands to Goodrington along the coast path following the steam train line. A group of lads got stuck in a dead end field and asked for directions over the railway line. Some others passed the time of day and the lady at the beach cafe chatted to me about the kids and what to do with the rest of the day.
Compared to Brighton where i felt eyes burning into me it was a breath of fresh air. The skirt felt great, light and airy, it put a massive smile on my face.😎
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Barleymower wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:24 pm Thanks Steve,at 56 I'm also old enough to be my daughter's grandfather
Aye and at 64, I could feasibly be The Great etc.
My own one is 29 and I well remember her teen years. Challenging and rewarding all at the same time.
She was very much against my fashion choices and that was hard. Fortunately, we are a deal better now but certainly not like yours.
Good for you!
Steve.