Reading drag queen story hour. Radicals attempt citizen arrest

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Reading drag queen story hour. Radicals attempt citizen arrest

Post by moonshadow »

Barleymower wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:32 am My kids attend scouts and I help out there, I'm now one of the leaders. If I stay away the group will be one less leader and will mean less activities for the children. If I carry on and continue my sideline in wearing skirts in public then sooner or later I could find myself in hot water. It seems that the two cannot co-exist without some level of risk. I live about 700yds from the scout hut, I live among the parents of the kids. I think my best course of action is to level with them and see if the object. Even then I might not be in clear.
Well... that is a problem. I guess how to proceed will be up to you. If your chosen group isn't very tolerant or accepting, you might have to wait on the skirts until the children aren't children anymore. Don't wait too long though... life is short, or so I've heard.

Being a parent involves sacrifice. Parents often have to do, or not do many things because of the children involved. I guess that's just part of the deal.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Stu wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:09 am I don't like this and children don't benefit.

I have no issues if a male teacher turns up for school in a denim pinafore and ballet flats and teaches as usual.

I have no issue if a teacher tells children that men sometimes wear skirts and dresses and that it is rare because it is currently unfashionable for males to wear these.

I have no issue if a child sees drag at a pantomime, or a TV comedy show, or in a Shakespeare play or Mozart opera.
Well, some people do, and those people have a way of getting what they want and banning what they don't want.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

moonshadow wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:47 amBeing a parent involves sacrifice. Parents often have to do, or not do many things because of the children involved.
Been There, Done That :!:

I didn't start wearing Kilts and Skirts until my kids were out on their own for several years.

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Barleymower wrote: ↑Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:32 am
My kids attend scouts and I help out there, I'm now one of the leaders. If I stay away the group will be one less leader and will mean less activities for the children. If I carry on and continue my sideline in wearing skirts in public then sooner or later I could find myself in hot water. It seems that the two cannot co-exist without some level of risk. I live about 700yds from the scout hut, I live among the parents of the kids. I think my best course of action is to level with them and see if the object. Even then I might not be in clear.
This strikes me as similar to shying away from any public settings; or behaving as if you are doing something weird -- that brings on the questioning of your motives. Honesty requires consistency and forthright declaration. If you stay away from kids because you think you may be perceived as a child molester, I think you are just aiding that false stereotype that as men we need to be feared because men are inherently pedophiles if they like kids.

I wear my skirts wherever I am -- and if I'm on school grounds, so be it -- just one more opportunity to open some minds. I have been invited to many a graduation, and the only reason I even momentarily hesitate to wear a skirt is that I don't want to take any attention away for the honoree. In the end, I still wear a skirt, and like every place else, it is a non-event and the graduate, bride, person being toasted, etc. does not suffer from my attire -- but sometimes they may be more admired by the others for being a progressive person who can casually invite a guy in a skirt to come too.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

Drag queens are just the latest distraction being used by certain political elements to stir up culture war issues. Our (Florida) governor has been going after Disney and gays and whatever else he can think of and spends all his free time calling into Fox News. Meanwhile our state is falling apart because workers can't afford housing, insurance companies are leaving, natural resources are getting more polluted...
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Faldaguy wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:53 am If you stay away from kids because you think you may be perceived as a child molester, I think you are just aiding that false stereotype that as men we need to be feared because men are inherently pedophiles if they like kids.
I would still be careful here. I've been approached on a few occasions by overprotective daddies, nothing bad happened, but there was a bit of tension as I diffused the situation and assured them I wasn't a threat.... and that was BEFORE the latest round of culture wars regarding transgender people, bathrooms, schools, etc.

Yesterday I was returning to my car after a short walk in a state park, I took a short cut by playground where many children were playing, I kept my head down and kept moving. Do not pass go, do not collect two hundred dollars... It's just not worth take a chance on ruining the whole day, where it's possible the police may even become involved because you ran up on some overbearing Karen with something to prove.

Now if I'm invited in, that's a different story, but other than that I treat the children of strangers just as I'd treat bear cubs. Stay the hell away, lest you get the wrath of the mama-bear.
-Andrea
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I agree with moon shadow. It is better to err on the side of caution, than to err the other way.

I stay away from other peoples kids.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

Sinned wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:14 pm I think that introducing drag, as the article describes, is wrong. Let kids have their childhood. Or maybe I was brought up in a more naive time ( the fifties and sixties ).
Drag is not a really well defined term. There are people who would call any man in a skirt "drag". There are people who would consider the crossdressing that happens in pantomime "drag". There is good drag and bad drag. It's not really my cup of tea, but I don't see how it's demeaning anybody.

And I don't really believe in hiding children from the real world. Ru Paul's Drag Race is screened on prime time television. It's a part of popular culture. The parents of these children thought it was a good idea to go to this event, who are we to second guess them?
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

rode_kater wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:16 pm And I don't really believe in hiding children from the real world. Ru Paul's Drag Race is screened on prime time television.
Given all the other horrors that are inflicted on humans by humans, I really don't think a guy in a dress at any level is much to worry about.
For the kids, if they were having fun, they didn't give a damn what colour of lipstick he was wearing either.
As for letting them be, kids will be kids in spite of what adults do.
In a general sense, we are not discussing actual abuse here.
Steve.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

STEVIE wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:40 am
rode_kater wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:16 pm And I don't really believe in hiding children from the real world. Ru Paul's Drag Race is screened on prime time television.
Given all the other horrors that are inflicted on humans by humans, I really don't think a guy in a dress at any level is much to worry about.
For the kids, if they were having fun, they didn't give a damn what colour of lipstick he was wearing either.
As for letting them be, kids will be kids in spite of what adults do.
In a general sense, we are not discussing actual abuse here.
Steve.
You know, I never thought about it that way. It does seem today, that all you see, is violence and movies and sex on t.v...

But where are those good old family values, on which we used to rely?

Lucky there's a skirting guy.... :mrgreen:
-Andrea
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

denimini wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:35 am Then there are women, like Barbara Cartland, who seriously dress over the top and look like a parody of drag.
Dame Barbara departed this life 22 years ago -- she is hardly a contemporary example ;-)
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

geron wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:10 am Dame Barbara departed this life 22 years ago -- she is hardly a contemporary example
Just have a look at this, fairly extreme by any standard, age, gender or era for that matter.
Still just clothes and a matter of opinion, we really should get good ol' Stewie and Brian's, they'd fix it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

moonshadow wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:47 am
Barleymower wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:32 am My kids attend scouts and I help out there, I'm now one of the leaders. If I stay away the group will be one less leader and will mean less activities for the children. If I carry on and continue my sideline in wearing skirts in public then sooner or later I could find myself in hot water. It seems that the two cannot co-exist without some level of risk. I live about 700yds from the scout hut, I live among the parents of the kids. I think my best course of action is to level with them and see if the object. Even then I might not be in clear.
Well... that is a problem. I guess how to proceed will be up to you. If your chosen group isn't very tolerant or accepting, you might have to wait on the skirts until the children aren't children anymore. Don't wait too long though... life is short, or so I've heard.

Being a parent involves sacrifice. Parents often have to do, or not do many things because of the children involved. I guess that's just part of the deal.
I have thought this through now and I've decided to carry on as before. That is continue wearing skirts out and about. I will not be seen in the scouts or anything to do with the scouts in a skirt. That will be kept separate. I will tell the other leaders, if they decide I should stay away then I will stay away. I don't think they will.
I have read all the opinions on the drag story reader and I understand better why people would see this as a bad idea.
However, the protesters outside the library labelled the guy a autogynephilia. That was wrong.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Barleymower wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:33 am I have thought this through now and I've decided to carry on as before. That is continue wearing skirts out and about.
In all honesty, in your case I'd keep it very conservative and as "masculine" as possible, knee length (because they closely resemble kilts) and darker colors. Plain fabrics, no extravagant patterns or colors... just for now anyway until you see how it goes. Normal tops (tee-shirts, polos, etc) Normal "guy" shoes.
I will not be seen in the scouts or anything to do with the scouts in a skirt. That will be kept separate. I will tell the other leaders, if they decide I should stay away then I will stay away.
Feel free to follow your gut instinct on this, you know these people, I don't, but my initial reaction is: If you're not going to wear skirts around the scouts anyway, then I see no reason to have this awkward "coming out" conversation. I think I'd just leave it alone. If they see you out and about, and especially if you've followed my earlier advice and kept it masculine and conservative, then just play it down like it's no big deal. Because really, it doesn't have to be [a big deal].
However, the protesters outside the library labelled the guy a autogynephilia. That was wrong.
While I support people's right to protest anything, mass (mob) protesting has never been my thing. I suppose it does move the needle on whatever the issue is. Still, it's not the protest that bugged me, it's the mob. Humans that gather in large groups to complain about something tend to be VERY irrational, unreasonable, self righteous, mean, and just plain ugly.

But no, I've never been involved with a mass protest... I protest solitary, usually with my wallet. Which is why I spend as little time and money in the state of Tennessee as possible.... [0] And seeing as how Tennessee libraries would likely NEVER condone a drag-woman reading to children AND they're banning books (and probably burning them out back)... then I'm fine to avoid their libraries too. I try not to support a theocratic state ran by the American Taliban. [0]That's why I also support business's right to turn people they don't align with away for whatever reason. I want to see the sign on the wall "[fill in the blank] NOT WELCOME HERE!" So I know not to spend my money on a bigoted business.

But yes, it was wrong. And for what it's worth, I think the photo of the drag woman was sweet. She looks nice and kind hearted. She's welcome at our [my family's] table any day.

[0] Note this is not an attack on Christians, this is an attack on theocracies and states/governments that allow them to thrive. I have no issue with people of any religion, Christian, Muslim, or otherwise. It's when they try to assert their religious dominance over the masses, that's where I draw the line.
-Andrea
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

AND, all this B.S. about "STOP GROOMING OUR CHILDREN!"

Let me fire back at THAT crowd:

YOU FIRST!

When they stop trying to shove their God into every school curriculum, when school fields trips are no longer being sponsored to "The Ark" in Kentucky, when they stop trying to teach children that the human species came from two people that magically popped into existence and that the world is only 6,000 years old, and that dinosaurs and humans coexisted together... THEN WE CAN TALK ABOUT NOT GROOMING OUR CHILDREN!!!!! :x

FULL. STOP.!

I dread growing elderly in this country. Eventually I'm going to have some complex medical procedure done, and I'm going to have to travel to Asia to get it done because the kids we're teaching today are going to be too stupid to add 2+2. They'll just try to cure me by anointing me with oil, and praying over me... that's even if they're willing to treat an old crossdressing sinner like me.

Grooming our children... give me a f--ing break... :roll:
-Andrea