euronews: Are male skirts about to be the next fashion essential?

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

euronews: Are male skirts about to be the next fashion essential?

Post by Coder »

https://www.euronews.com/culture/2022/0 ... -essential

I realize these types of headlines are a dime a dozen - "Is this finally the time?". And it's unfortunate that it draws some conclusions like "queering of heterosexuality". Regardless, I think it's good to catalog these as they show up as it shows more and more journalists are reporting on these trends.

Also, I think the "Are skirts going to join the mainstream man’s wardrobe?" section is good reading - and the last point hits home even for me:
“The vast majority of men, myself included, would not be comfortable wearing a skirt,” McCauley Bowstead says. “I think of myself as someone who has very progressive views on gender and work in a very queer friendly and liberal context. And I wouldn't wear a skirt.”
Not so much that I'm not comfortable wearing one - in fact quite the opposite - but even in my liberal workplace I'm super hesitant to wear one because I just don't know if it will drastically change my working relationships. I will find out one day, however, as I am wearing skirts to work on occasion.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: euronews: Are male skirts about to be the next fashion essential?

Post by crfriend »

One more time: This is going to go precisely nowhere unless it allows a style choice to be precisely that -- a style choice -- and we stop conflating it with other completely unconnected matters. A style choice need not be a signifier of somebody declaring themselves to be on the LGBTQWTF "spectrum".

I'm beginning to wonder if this confusion is deliberate and being aimed at men to limit style choices. In other words -- pernicious.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Absolute crap to wear for everyday use - EXCEPT for the two men wearing short (mini) skirts !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Bodycon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bodycon »

crfriend wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:59 am One more time: This is going to go precisely nowhere unless it allows a style choice to be precisely that -- a style choice -- and we stop conflating it with other completely unconnected matters. A style choice need not be a signifier of somebody declaring themselves to be on the LGBTQWTF "spectrum".
I thought it a good article if, as usual, a little light in meaningful content.

Style choices to a point are not signifiers, however the whole ensemble of look and personality (if on display) will inevitably cause the beholder to consider which hypothetical roost box to place you in. Interaction may, of course, change or confirm that assumption.

If Brad Pitt (or any other influential celebrity) was seen at his local coffee shop in a skirt, for no other reason than he wanted to wear a skirt, that would be more newsworthy.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

crfriend wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:59 am I'm beginning to wonder if this confusion is deliberate and being aimed at men to limit style choices. In other words -- pernicious.
I don’t think it’s intentional in trying to keep men in their little box of allowed expressions - I think rather when a celebrity is seen rocking a skirt… that act is co-opted by academics and people in various LGBTQ communities to help push their agendas. Some celebrities do push styles for those reasons, but a lot don’t (ie, Brad Pitt). It’s also a LOT easier to go that route than go against the “conventional wisdom” of skirt = woman’s and not question “why is that”?

Or is there a shadowy cabal of women who control the fashion world, and who desperately want to restrict men so that they don’t get to be as beautiful* as them? Probably not, but would make for a funny novel.

*something about “men looking beautiful” bugs me - I suppose it’s because we are supposed to be “handsome” which I also dislike.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

From the article, it would seem we have progressed from the situation when men wearing skirts was outrageous, to somewhere on the boundary between being tolerated and being acceptable. Progress. But we still have some way to go before we can move up to more satisfactory adjectives like unremarkable or normal.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Ah Stu, the acceptance and tolerance debate again. I think we have all come up against both.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

One of the responses I have saved up, in case anyone ever asks about the skirts, is that I have been told since the 1990s that skirts for men is the next thing in fashion, and I just got fed up waiting for it to happen.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Are male skirts about to be the next fashion essential?

Not until the comment sections approve...

Until then, we're just another element of the endless culture wars. I'm sure we're great for ratings and getting politicians elected. :roll:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

moonshadow wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:36 pm Until then, we're just another element of the endless culture wars.
That's the one unrelenting thing that I fear the most. I'm not wearing a skirt to make a statement, I'm wearing it "just because I want to". I'm not judging those who want to make a statement, just saying for me it's much simpler.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Tolerated is good enough for me. :mrgreen:
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Coder wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:24 pm
moonshadow wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:36 pm Until then, we're just another element of the endless culture wars.
That's the one unrelenting thing that I fear the most. I'm not wearing a skirt to make a statement, I'm wearing it "just because I want to". I'm not judging those who want to make a statement, just saying for me it's much simpler.
I know exactly how you feel, and this is something I've struggled with for the last year or so. I like skirts, and frankly, I really like femme stuff. But I don't want to be another tool to be weaponized between the two warring factions.

Like you, what I wear isn't a political statement, it's not a statement at all other than it's just what I like.

I do have a complicated philosophy with regards to my place on the gender spectrum, but I'm working that out in my own way on my own time. I loathe the idea of the state [government] or the two factions trying to tell me where I'm right and where I'm wrong. Most people seem to be fine to mind their own business, or only ask appropriate and non-combative questions. I worry those days may be coming to a close.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

moonshadow wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:31 pm I worry those days may be coming to a close.
I said on another thread that should this be true, let's go out in style and showing our true colours.
The most colourful sky rocket and no damp squib!
Banging Big and no little whimpers.
Steve.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

by moonshadow » Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:31 am

I do have a complicated philosophy with regards to my place on the gender spectrum, but I'm working that out in my own way on my own time.
This seems contrary to most of your other statements about not caring about what others think; and there being no place for judgment -- so why even bother to consider "your place"? I'm inclined to agree that there is a spectrum -- but it matters not where any of us are on it -- that in itself is a form of judgment and labeling -- we don't need it.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Faldaguy wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:07 am This seems contrary to most of your other statements about not caring about what others think;
I try not to care what others think. This is easier said than done, especially considering the obnoxious nature of my region of the world. I still have to mentally prepare myself for the daily onslaught of "what tha f--ks" laughing and sideways looks.

Somedays are better than others, somedays nothing happens at all, but you never know... somedays suck..
Faldaguy wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:07 am so why even bother to consider "your place"
Because it matters to me what I am. I would imagine this matters to most people here, otherwise they wouldn't get so bent out of shape by being labels "trans***". What we are and our personal identity with the world is like the fingerprint of our soul, it's what makes us us (individually).

And like I said, I'm still working it out. I have no doubt that I am of the male sex, but I think it's clear that feminity means more to me than most here, so it's not really something I expect many to understand.

I'm sure some people reading this are taking bets as to when I finally come out as trans... no no no no no... it's not like that. Don't take that bet... I'd have to start aaaaall over if did that... I'd need to move to a better, more accepting community, I'd need a higher paying job, because those kind of communities are expensive to live in, which means I'd need to go to college, and I get to start on all of this in my 40's....

But really I don't think that's my path anyway... I don't know what my path is now... like I said.. I'm working it out. I may not ever figure it out, but maybe it's the journey that yields its own rewards...
-Andrea