Daily Mail: Christian Wilkins courts attention in a bright patterned top and mini skirt as he parties in LA - after slam

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Daily Mail: Christian Wilkins courts attention in a bright patterned top and mini skirt as he parties in LA - after slam

Post by Coder »

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/a ... rt-LA.html

Never heard of this guy before - the sneakers are kinda fugly, IMHO.

And the LOL moment from the article:
The anonymous user @SaraVic333 tweeted 'it's not normal' for men to wear women's clothes, before adding: 'STOP normalising this bulls**t!!!'
Sure SaraVic333 - then let's stop normalizing women wearing men's clothes. Stop wearing pants. :P
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Daily Mail: Christian Wilkins courts attention in a bright patterned top and mini skirt as he parties in LA - after

Post by Ray »

Coder, welcome to the hate-fuelled world that is the Daily Fail!
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Daily Mail: Christian Wilkins courts attention in a bright patterned top and mini skirt as he parties in LA - after

Post by Coder »

Ray wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:39 pm Coder, welcome to the hate-fuelled world that is the Daily Fail!
That was a comment from the hate filled world of Twitter, I decided not to even look at the comments on that article :P
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Christian Wilkins
Outfit, that's a big thumbs down for me.

With the long hair and all is making the whole ensemble a little bit too fem for me.

Now Brad Pitt's outfit is tasteful. A tru MIS look.

The @SaraVic333 comment is of course too common. Men can't wear anything remotely feminine or it's instantly considered crossdressing. While it's impossible for a woman to Crossdress. Maby perhaps if she sports a fake mustache, then that's crossdressing. Otherwise they know no limit.

It's funny how we men have to endure women in tacky leggings and them almost constantly wearing drab denim jeans. Without any input from us. Don't dare tell them how you feel about their clothing choices.

Maby men want feminine women. Not a bunch of denim wearing butch looking ladies.
Of course if we say wear a skirt. That's sexist. And we are sexist pigs.

My sentiments are, when you give up your trousers ladies, I'll give up my skirts.

(Out and about) I was out and about in my denim skort tonight.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
TSH
Distinguished Member

Post by TSH »

Really, **** people like @SaraVic. Tell women to stop wearing trousers, because those were something only men were allowed to wear at one point, and if we went back to the 1950s, and a woman wore a pair, she'd been ridiculed, just like this man.

Not even gonna bother reading the comments. It's most just the same idiots who think snide remarks make them clever. I really hate people, sometimes.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

Like most here, I really don't go for his style choices, but I have to agree with what he is quoted as saying about people who criticize him for wearing skirts and dresses:

"Not only do I think it's homophobic, but it's misogynistic. It's this notion of 'I'm a man and I'm dressing like a woman and therefore that makes me less'."
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

His gear is two confusing patterns mashed together and I don't know who either of the Wilkins are.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Ok so I just succumbed to the Omniscient Google and Wilkins is famous for being the the son of Mr Wilkins, fine.
Daily Mail commentary is not exactly typical of the prevailing attitude to men in skirts.
Certainly, of the women I know the vast majority are very supportive and positive.
Men on the other hand are mainly tepid or just non commital.
Openly disparaging cretins are rare animals from either side.
Now if you are getting the "lose the skirt" message, YOU have a choice and it is simple.
Obey or don't but please get it out of your heads that this is some sort of bizarre competition for fashion supremacy with women.
Do that and we will all lose!
Maybe wouldn't wear the outfit myself but I still think Wilkins Jr looks better than B Pitt, actually more relaxed with himself.
But as was said elsewhere, who cares?
Steve.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Coder wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:40 am
Ray wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:39 pm Coder, welcome to the hate-fuelled world that is the Daily Fail!
That was a comment from the hate filled world of Twitter, I decided not to even look at the comments on that article :P
On the ol' net... if it's got a comment section... it's full of hate and vomit.

I've tried to train myself to not bother reading them... sometimes temptation gets the best of me though... it's kinda like sucking on a tooth that you know needs a root canal.... it's not pleasant, and yet you can't resist!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

I agree. It is difficult for me to not want to see the comments, but reading them would cause me to want to never leave my house. I think the anonymity of the internet causes people to be more emboldened than usual.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Comment sections are very tempting. If you can get past the vitriol/hate, I've learned so much from the random person posting:

1) A simple comment that includes a counterpoint on something to research later

2) A comment that contradicts the main point. Even if I don't agree with the contradiction, it gets me thinking

3) A comment that leads to deeper understanding of the issue - articles usually don't capture the situation with all its nuances. There usually is that one person who goes, "well, the article is right but it glosses over...". Often I'll then google to confirm their explanation.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Coder wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:26 pm Comment sections are very tempting. If you can get past the vitriol/hate, I've learned so much from the random person posting:

1) A simple comment that includes a counterpoint on something to research later

2) A comment that contradicts the main point. Even if I don't agree with the contradiction, it gets me thinking

3) A comment that leads to deeper understanding of the issue - articles usually don't capture the situation with all its nuances. There usually is that one person who goes, "well, the article is right but it glosses over...". Often I'll then google to confirm their explanation.
Comments about educational videos, documentaries, public policy, etc I generally enjoy. Often times many of the commenters on those type of videos are well educated and offering additional information regarding the video's subject, or a different perspective.

Comment sections about people being recognized for being their own selves (e.g. a man in a skirt) are usually just full of vomit. Stories about skirt wearing men or other social issues generally have useless comment sections- best avoided. There are just too many people out there who believe the whole damned world needs to bend to their own personal "world view".

"Men have no business wearing skirts!!!"

"I'd never let my man wear something so ridiculous!"

"Stop trying to normalize this!!!"

"What about the CHILDREN?!?!?!!"

Those people can take their authoritarian comments, opinions, and whatnot and shove them up their own asses.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
TomOfTx

Post by TomOfTx »

moonshadow wrote:

> "Men have no business wearing skirts!!!"

> "I'd never let my man wear something so ridiculous!"
>
> "Stop trying to normalize this!!!"
>
> "What about the CHILDREN?!?!?!!"
>
> Those people can take their authoritarian comments, opinions, and whatnot
> and shove them up their own asses.

Sounds like the comments from my wife, who by the way is the only person who has taken issue with me wearing skirts. Other comments include how I am sinning, I am a cross dresser, and it confuses the kids!

Back story on me. I am a long time truck driver based here in Texas. I have dealt with vascular disease in both legs for the past 18 years. Already been wearing compression hose for more than ten years. Earlier this year I began looking at wearing a skirt as an alternative to pants/shorts as it looked like having no inseam it could reduce pressure on my legs while sitting for long periods such as driving my truck. I found over time the skirts were keeping my legs more comfortable. In May, I began wearing the skirts outside the truck. Over the first few weeks I noticed I was not getting any weird reactions from anyone. A few women smiled. I now wear a skirt almost exclusively out in public, in the truck stops, everywhere! I mainly wear blue or black denim skirts, all having pockets and functioning like I was wearing pants. They are just so comfortable! I wish I began wearing them years ago! I have no fear of being judged by others at all! I walk around in the skirt as if I was wearing pants/shorts.

As I said, only my wife, the person who should be the most supportive, has been the only one with a problem!
TSH
Distinguished Member

Post by TSH »

moonshadow wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:13 am "Men have no business wearing skirts!!!"

"I'd never let my man wear something so ridiculous!"

"Stop trying to normalize this!!!"

"What about the CHILDREN?!?!?!!"

Those people can take their authoritarian comments, opinions, and whatnot and shove them up their own asses.
We should go back to the early 20th century where women would be incarcerated just for casually wearing trousers. It'd show just how stupid people are being about this. It's hard to imagine that everyone just ignores this obvious double standard when it comes to fashion.
Last edited by TSH on Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

TSH wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:41 am We should go back to the early 20th century where women would be incarcerated just for casually wearing trousers. It'd show just how stupid people are being about this. It's hard to imagine that everyone just ignores this obvious double standard when it comes to fashion.
An interesting article here regarding that very topic:
https://historyofyesterday.com/two-wom ... 163135c300

Amazing the things that women take for granted today.... and so ironic when considering the enormous blow-back from women regarding men who wear skirts. It really goes to show how people in a free society seem to only be concerned with freedom for themselves and generally don't care to extend freedoms to others....

In other words, "I believe I'm free to do as I please, and I also believe you have the right to do only as I say". Or summed up more quickly, "Do as I say, not as I do".

THAT is the motto for most modern women it seems, at least regarding freedom of choice in attire: "Do as I say, not as I do".

But, it is what it is, and all our ranting about it doesn't seem to be moving the needle much. Just ask the men here who are with women who stubbornly insist "their man" only wear the clothing items that they [the wives] approve of. "Do as I say, not as I do". It is infuriating.

If ever there comes a point where the liberation we have enjoyed these last few years is dialed back (legally) and we are forced to endure "trouser tyranny" once more, then I say that everything should be illegal once more. No freedom for one? No freedom for anyone else! Fair is fair. If men have to wear pants then women have to wear skirts... everyone stays in their lane. No more freedom of thought... the state will tell you how to think. No more freedom of religion, the state will tell you what to worship. No more freedom of choice on any matter, the state will tell you how to dress, what to eat, how to earn a living, etc etc.

Welcome to Oceania, 1984. May the authoritarian commenters revel in the world they personally handcrafted.
-Andrea