Who What Wear: Brad Pitt Just Wore a Skirt on the Red Carpet and Pulled It Off With Ease

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 1178
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:40 am

Re: Who What Wear: Brad Pitt Just Wore a Skirt on the Red Carpet and Pulled It Off With Ease

Post by Coder »

STEVIE wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:31 am
He was simply a product of his own time and upbringing just as I am mine.
Never make the mistake of judging a book by it's cover, the skirted guy could just as easily be the most misogynistic and intolerant dude on earth.
The loudest redneck could just as easily be the easiest going.
This! There's the song "The Cowboy in the Continental Suit" - every time it comes up in my rotation I ponder the deeper (and obvious) meaning.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 615
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:33 pm

Re: Who What Wear: Brad Pitt Just Wore a Skirt on the Red Carpet and Pulled It Off With Ease

Post by new2skirts »

Grok wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:43 am
The trousered mainstream may come to see MIS as tolerable on others, but not for them. A practice tolerated, but not being accepted as conventional mens wear. (kilting may be accepted as mens wear, but only a small minority of men seem interested).
+1 I have noticed this myself, when in a skirt, I am more tolerated than avoided, the usual "up and down then unsee" reaction from men, the rare compliment from women, if it's one of my tartan pencils mistaken for a kilt :lol: Everyone loves the kilt, though it's not every day wear for most guys. In shorts, I have no problems whatsoever and blend in.

For Brad Pitt, he knew in Germany he would be okay in his skirt, but opted for jeans in London the following day. Should have followed it up with another skirt, most would just see it as celebrities trying to get attention, and as designer prices for such skirts (his looked a mess with the uneven hem) sky high, none of the masses would bother. I have seen men on my local high street in a simple denim skirt, no one bats an eyelid so it is becoming more common.

Men don't tell others what to wear in terms of clothes, so most will stick with what they know, hence the boring shorts or jeans. Some rappers like Yung Thug are wearing skirts more, but it's only when the more mainstream ones embrace the trend we may see others follow suit. All these celebrities seem to wear the most impractical style of skirt, which doesn't help. If Brad was in a simple A line with tights, or denim pencil, it might have had more traction.

He might inspire other celebrities, there was a reporter from the Daily Mail who tried the trend out for himself...
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/arti ... shion.html

No bloke would spend over £1k on a skirt, I even feel bad for spending more than £500 on a kilt :mrgreen:
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
jamie001
Distinguished Member
Posts: 121
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:09 am

Re: Who What Wear: Brad Pitt Just Wore a Skirt on the Red Carpet and Pulled It Off With Ease

Post by jamie001 »

One problem with men wearing skirts is that you need to wear something that is noticeable in order to advance the cause. If you wear a blue or black denim skirt, most folks only slightly glance at you, and they will think that you are wearing shorts! Their mind registers "shorts" and they move on. A black or blue denim skirt can be really a stealth mode if you are new to skirts and want to fly under the radar.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 2281
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:21 am

Re: Who What Wear: Brad Pitt Just Wore a Skirt on the Red Carpet and Pulled It Off With Ease

Post by Grok »

Regarding Daily Mail article....

Actually, the man wouldn't need to cross his legs if he wore a longer skirt. He should bear in mind that there are a diversity of skirts in terms of type and length.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 809
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:03 pm

Re: Who What Wear: Brad Pitt Just Wore a Skirt on the Red Carpet and Pulled It Off With Ease

Post by Dust »

moonshadow wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:08 am
The problem is "toxic masculinity" is a trigger phrase that, once employed, eliminates any hope of rational discussion on the matter.
And that's the point. Feminists use it too do exactly that. Can't discuss the male side of the equality thing...

We were coming around to actual equality, so they dropped that word for "equity." Every time the world is looking up, the goalposts are moved. The grifters can't make money if they don't create strife...
Dust
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 809
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:03 pm

Re: Who What Wear: Brad Pitt Just Wore a Skirt on the Red Carpet and Pulled It Off With Ease

Post by Dust »

new2skirts wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:17 am
For Brad Pitt, he knew in Germany he would be okay in his skirt, but opted for jeans in London the following day. Should have followed it up with another skirt, most would just see it as celebrities trying to get attention...

...If Brad was in a simple A line with tights, or denim pencil, it might have had more traction.
One article at least spun it as a way to beat the heat. That makes no sense in London, or with tights. Honestly, it doesn't make much sense with his boots either, but the whole combat boots with skirts thing never made much sense to to me...

But guys often feel the need for a practical reason (excuse) for wearing something unusual.
new2skirts wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:17 am
Men don't tell others what to wear in terms of clothes, so most will stick with what they know, hence the boring shorts or jeans.
Men tend to be less interested in clothing, for whatever reason. That may be because menswear is so boring, or guys might just have other interests.

I have another theory about this, however:

Guys are practical. We traditionally had to be to provide for our families. Clothing can make you stand out in a hurry, and in a large company, standing out is a gamble, that most won't take. Just look at guys here. The last place guys break the ice about their unusual clothing choices tends to be at work, despite the fact it's where we spend most of our time. Don't want to risk that earning potential...

Women are traditionally looking to find a guy to marry and start a family with. They just need to catch the attention of one man. So for them, standing out has less risk, and more reward, because their goals are different.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 2281
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:21 am

Re: Who What Wear: Brad Pitt Just Wore a Skirt on the Red Carpet and Pulled It Off With Ease

Post by Grok »

Men have little reason to be interested in their own clothes, because they are so boring. Even the formal wear is usually-at best-dull.

And if a man planned on having a family, he had to jump through hoops for women. I believe one of the first hoops has been appearing to conform to traditional masculinity.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 1178
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:40 am

Re: Who What Wear: Brad Pitt Just Wore a Skirt on the Red Carpet and Pulled It Off With Ease

Post by Coder »

Grok wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:52 pm
Men have little reason to be interested in their own clothes, because they are so boring. Even the formal wear is usually-at best-dull.

And if a man planned on having a family, he had to jump through hoops for women. I believe one of the first hoops has been appearing to conform to traditional masculinity.
And culturally (US at least) it is perfectly fine for people (men and women) to critique how a man looks and what he wears. Whereas women are a protected species - I suppose other women or perhaps close friends/family can make comments, but a man? Mansplaining! Patriarchy!

Note: this isn't a "woe is us" comment. I'm really just pointing out how things are, and why we face these challenges from family/spouses. And frankly, as I've grown to accept my quirkiness, I've also grown more tolerant of others who I might disagree with (I'm talking about you, ripped pants lady, ugg boot+sweatpants person). Well, perhaps I should still have some standards :P
Grok
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 2281
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:21 am

Re: Who What Wear: Brad Pitt Just Wore a Skirt on the Red Carpet and Pulled It Off With Ease

Post by Grok »

Or simply hurting a womans feelings.

BTW, so long as a man is presentable there isn't much point in a critique of his appearance. His clothes will almost certainly look dull. (Unless he is a rare maverick).
User avatar
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 6361
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:58 am
Contact:

Re: Who What Wear: Brad Pitt Just Wore a Skirt on the Red Carpet and Pulled It Off With Ease

Post by moonshadow »

Coder wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:01 pm
And culturally (US at least) it is perfectly fine for people (men and women) to critique how a man looks and what he wears. Whereas women are a protected species - I suppose other women or perhaps close friends/family can make comments, but a man? Mansplaining! Patriarchy!
+1

An no, I don't think it's a "woe is us" comment either. It's just a fact of the way things are, plain and simple. The blatant evidence is abundant.

And yes, women are a protected species. In our culture we have divided everything thusly:

One space for women and one space that is for everyone (men and women)

There are no men's restrooms, fitting rooms, locker rooms, etc. There are just women's and unisex. Granted most women probably don't want to visit these places, but they have the right if they want to. Men... not so much... because... rapist and all.

Same goes for sports. While I don't want to get into another trans sports debate (I don't even watch sports anyway), it does rather bug me that these state prohibitions SPECIFICALLY call out "boys who play in girls sports", but says nothing about girls that play in boys sports. This bugs me on principle. If we're going to segregate sports by gender, then we do both sides. EVERYONE stays in their lane NO EXCEPTIONS.

Thus, there are two types of sports, women's sports, and sports for everyone.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 1178
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:40 am

Re: Who What Wear: Brad Pitt Just Wore a Skirt on the Red Carpet and Pulled It Off With Ease

Post by Coder »

Grok wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:20 pm
Or simply hurting a womans feelings.
And I'm obviously not advocating for that. Actually, I'm just advocating for "let people be people"... but it requires the other side of the fence to let up a bit.
User avatar
crfriend
Master Barista
Posts: 13041
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:52 pm
Location: New England (U.S.)
Contact:

Re: Who What Wear: Brad Pitt Just Wore a Skirt on the Red Carpet and Pulled It Off With Ease

Post by crfriend »

Coder wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:01 pm
Grok wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:20 pm
Or simply hurting a womans feelings.
And I'm obviously not advocating for that. Actually, I'm just advocating for "let people be people"... but it requires the other side of the fence to let up a bit.
Sadly, sometimes it needs to be done.

And, yes, the "feminists" need to back off -- A LOT. It's not about equality any more, it's about absolute dominion.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 615
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:33 pm

Re: Who What Wear: Brad Pitt Just Wore a Skirt on the Red Carpet and Pulled It Off With Ease

Post by new2skirts »

Dust wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:54 pm
new2skirts wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:17 am
For Brad Pitt, he knew in Germany he would be okay in his skirt, but opted for jeans in London the following day. Should have followed it up with another skirt, most would just see it as celebrities trying to get attention...

...If Brad was in a simple A line with tights, or denim pencil, it might have had more traction.
One article at least spun it as a way to beat the heat. That makes no sense in London, or with tights. Honestly, it doesn't make much sense with his boots either, but the whole combat boots with skirts thing never made much sense to to me...

But guys often feel the need for a practical reason (excuse) for wearing something unusual.
new2skirts wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:17 am
Men don't tell others what to wear in terms of clothes, so most will stick with what they know, hence the boring shorts or jeans.
Men tend to be less interested in clothing, for whatever reason. That may be because menswear is so boring, or guys might just have other interests.

I have another theory about this, however:

Guys are practical. We traditionally had to be to provide for our families. Clothing can make you stand out in a hurry, and in a large company, standing out is a gamble, that most won't take. Just look at guys here. The last place guys break the ice about their unusual clothing choices tends to be at work, despite the fact it's where we spend most of our time. Don't want to risk that earning potential...

Women are traditionally looking to find a guy to marry and start a family with. They just need to catch the attention of one man. So for them, standing out has less risk, and more reward, because their goals are different.
Exactly this. Men's wardrobes are predictable, suits for formal, chinos or jeans for everything else, plus shorts or sports wear. Kilts for weddings or formal work events, or wanting to be dressy. A guy wouldn't wear something over the top or flamboyant at risk of work, if guys did wear skirts they would be in the regular drab gray navy blue, black... or a trusty denim pencil, knee length :mrgreen:

Guys have so many other interests, sports, cars, football / soccer etc... so less likely to spend a fortune on their wardrobe. For us who have an expanded wardrobe, it can be more challenging with other accessories, such as underwear, stockings or tights, shoes, bags, etc... most guys will not want the aggro of keeping a spare pair of hold ups in their bag if the elastic goes or if it ladders :lol:

So blending in is a default option. Many also in the Daily Mail criticized Pitt's choice of skirt, rather than the skirt itself as it looked like a rag to quote some. A nice Thome Browne or Fendi skirt like EJ Johnson would have gained more traction. Even a simple Zara jean skirt would have sufficed :wink:
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
Ray
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 1542
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2003 7:03 am
Location: West Midlands, England, UK

Re: Who What Wear: Brad Pitt Just Wore a Skirt on the Red Carpet and Pulled It Off With Ease

Post by Ray »

Pan. I went to a wine lunch in London today. Orange trousers. Not a word said. Get out and wear what you want.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 2951
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:01 pm
Location: North East Scotland.

Re: Who What Wear: Brad Pitt Just Wore a Skirt on the Red Carpet and Pulled It Off With Ease

Post by STEVIE »

new2skirts wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:59 pm
Exactly this. Men's wardrobes are predictable, suits for formal, chinos or jeans for everything else, plus shorts or sports wear. Kilts for weddings or formal work events, or wanting to be dressy. A guy wouldn't wear something over the top or flamboyant at risk of work, if guys did wear skirts they would be in the regular drab gray navy blue, black... or a trusty denim pencil, knee length
I wear various styles of skirts and dresses in the office every day.
new2skirts wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:59 pm
Guys have so many other interests, sports, cars, football / soccer etc... so less likely to spend a fortune on their wardrobe. For us who have an expanded wardrobe, it can be more challenging with other accessories, such as underwear, stockings or tights, shoes, bags, etc... most guys will not want the aggro of keeping a spare pair of hold ups in their bag if the elastic goes or if it ladders
This guy doesn't and I have spare tights on hand too.
new2skirts wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:59 pm
So blending in is a default option. Many also in the Daily Mail criticized Pitt's choice of skirt, rather than the skirt itself as it looked like a rag to quote some. A nice Thome Browne or Fendi skirt like EJ Johnson would have gained more traction. Even a simple Zara jean skirt would have sufficed
Still does not apply to me!
Sorry NTS but you have fallen right in with the Man Box stereotyping that we are really striving to overcome.
I will agree with your male colour preferences, I have struggled to overcome that one. Sixty years of brainwashing is not overcome lightly!
My thoughts are still that Brad Pitt made the same mistake in his choice.
Yeah, look at me in my skirt but I really am still the hunky virile macho alpha male that I have always known I am.
Sure thing Mr Pitt, sir, whatever you say must be correct because you are a mega mega film star!
Steve.
Post Reply