Who What Wear: Brad Pitt Just Wore a Skirt on the Red Carpet and Pulled It Off With Ease

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Who What Wear: Brad Pitt Just Wore a Skirt on the Red Carpet and Pulled It Off With Ease

Post by STEVIE »

Offkilter69 wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:47 am In contrast, while Christian Wilkins’ styles may be good for some gender-fluid folk, they do not do any favors for the majority of the users of this forum.
Personally, I had reservations on both of them.
Pitt's outfit, yes casual but really just male drab in a skirt.
Wilkins, over the top flamboyant but the skirt, way better to my eye.
As for individuals who see themselves as gender whatever, I strongly suspect they outnumber our elite band significantly.
Upshot, I do my thing, they do theirs and if anyone is influenced, I suppose likewise for them.
On another note. the Gladiator costume was not a skirt but a kilt of sorts. That is, a male garment very unlikely to have been worn by many women of the period.
Sorry if this spoils anyone's fantasy but pure invention, unless anyone knows differently.
Steve.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Who What Wear: Brad Pitt Just Wore a Skirt on the Red Carpet and Pulled It Off With Ease

Post by Sinned »

Ah, Xena, and Gabrielle pant, pant, drool.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

crfriend wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:05 pm I really could not care less about what Brad Pitt, or some other starlet of the silver screen wears. That's not the world I live in. I'm trying to change the world I live in, not theirs.
I think it's important that celebrities push these boundaries. For instance, a friend I went to an art fair with today said, "say, did you hear about Brad Pitt?"

I kid you not - and this isn't to say she is vapid and laps up what other celebrities do - but I think it breeds awareness and I think it helps people realize - if done by enough people and in a normal enough way - that it's OK for guys to expand their fashion choices.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Coder wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:24 am[...] I think it breeds awareness and I think it helps people realize - if done by enough people and in a normal enough way - that it's OK for guys to expand their fashion choices.
On the surface, I agree with your thesis, but I think that this is going to be a multi-decadal slog before anything even sarts to catch on. Assorted "flashes in the pan" from celebrities and starlets are quickly forgotten as the weight of the surrounding world bears down.

I've been very publicly wearing skirts for two decades -- and have spoken in public so attired, and am well-respected in my community -- but I have yet to see so much as one bloke wearing a skirt in all that time save for arranged meets. More work needs to be done, and it needs to be done at the grass-roots level, not the level of celebrity-status. We, as commoners, own this and it's up to us to evangelise about it, mostly by example.

Look how long it took for radical feminism to define anybody with an XY chromosome makeup as "toxic". We're looking at the same time-scale or possibly longer given the hole we need to dig ourselves out of.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

crfriend wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:16 am More work needs to be done, and it needs to be done at the grass-roots level, not the level of celebrity-status. We, as commoners, own this and it's up to us to evangelise about it, mostly by example.
If we don't do this for ourselves nobody is going to do this for us.
The celebrities and the catwalk designers can do their bit ad nauseum but the proles cause revolutions.
Mr Pitt may have done no harm to our cause but do remember that he has a movie to promote and a profile to maintain.
The skirt will certainly have helped that very nicely and added some bucks to his account.
A prize for the first verified sighting of a "Pitt Skirt" in the wild would be appropriate?
Steve.
.....but so would one for an airborne boar.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Coder wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:08 pm Here's a link to their commentary:

https://youtu.be/nQClKBIIk9w?t=1886

Note - if it doesn't jump for you, go to 31:27 to see the segment. I don't watch the show - it was on a TV in a waiting room. However, I have seen it in the past and the show irks me because it clearly highlights the dichotomy between what's acceptable for women to wear and men. Granted, anytime I've seen it the women all dress alike - the guy is always in a boring suit - one could argue they don't have a choice either.
Now imagine changing the script around, filling the room with men and one woman, where all the men sit around and discuss how "all women should wear feminine dresses"... :roll: You know what would happen... nobody would DARE! What I'm hearing here is the women saying... "if you want this [--------], you'd better bow before me and conform!".

Eh... so the women on that show probably won't be taking any of us out on a date....

... I ask in all seriousness, is that really a bad thing??

If me wearing a skirt keeps women like that from flirting with me... well... mission accomplished. I mean, honestly, can you imagine having to live with any of those women...? They may be pretty on the outside, but their souls are ugly and rotten to the core.

On a side note, I think if I had to sit in a waiting room and listen to political pundits, I'd probably just wait outside.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

moonshadow wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:11 am If me wearing a skirt keeps women like that from flirting with me... well... mission accomplished. I mean, honestly, can you imagine having to live with any of those women...?
Very very very good point.
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

There was a supportive follow-up in Friday's Evening Standard (a free paper for commuters in the London area):
https://www.standard.co.uk/comment/brad ... 14116.html
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

I notice that the Daily Fail could not bring itself to use the word skirt and insisted it was a kilt. As a Scot, it was the sort of skirt that was not a kilt. All credit to Brad Pitt for stepping out in his skirt. There has been a succession of male celebs embracing the skirt in the last few months but I feel that this one is different - he is not gay, young or someone who exists to shock. He has moved the situation on meaningfully - thanks Brad. I feel myself that when I venture out in a skirt now, that it is more likely to be perceived as a fashion choice than as a gender issue than it was before. He also mentioned the comfort advantage of the skirt ("the breeze").
Last edited by rivegauche on Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

rivegauche wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:11 am I feel myself that when I venture out in a skirt now, that it is more likely to be perceived as a fashion choice than as a gender issue than it was before.
On this occasion, Rivegauche, I hope you are correct but perhaps I am just too cynical to have that sort of faith.
Steve.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

STEVIE wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:39 am
rivegauche wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:11 am I feel myself that when I venture out in a skirt now, that it is more likely to be perceived as a fashion choice than as a gender issue than it was before.
On this occasion, Rivegauche, I hope you are correct but perhaps I am just too cynical to have that sort of faith.
Steve.
I think that "men wearing skirts" is currently what it always will be... somewhat of a way for celebrities to make an occasional headline. As for the rest of us, it will always be just something we do, something that sets us apart from the herd. Something that turns the occasional head, and every once in a while, something that starts interesting conversations.

I'm okay if skirt wearing men catch on, I'm okay it doesn't, as long as they don't start passing laws against it, or the very act of it causes me problems like it once did (in other words, one doesn't have to agree with it, so long as they mind their own business).

Do I think skirt wearing men will ever be as common as pants wearing women?

No. There is just too much femininity associated with the skirt... too many women won't talk to a guy wearing a skirt, and too many men prioritize getting laid above all alse....thus... no mass "men in skirts" movement. Whatever.. to each their own... enjoy those child support payments! :lol:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamie001 »

Again the problem is Toxic Masculinity! Men are taught from generation to generation since the beginning of the Industrial Revolution that any feminine display or expression is aberrant behavior. It is the crux of the problem and is passed down from generation to generation. Check out TED talks on Toxic Masculinity and TED talks on the Man-Box.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

The problem is "toxic masculinity" is a trigger phrase that, once employed, eliminates any hope of rational discussion on the matter.

I wouldn't worry about it either way. If most guys have hangups about this type of thing, too bad for them. It's their life, and it's their right to live it as they please.
-Andrea
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

The trousered mainstream may come to see MIS as tolerable on others, but not for them. A practice tolerated, but not being accepted as conventional mens wear. (kilting may be accepted as mens wear, but only a small minority of men seem interested).
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

The real question is whether celebrities jumping on the MIS bandwagon actually make any significant difference in making mainstream acceptance more likely?
Will Mr Pitt's outfit cause any regular retailer to make skirts part of their menswear offer?
On the balance of probability, I rather think not! That is not pessimism, just realism.
On masculinity of any type, I know that my Father would have thrashed me had he caught me skirted.
I am equally certain that he was not "macho" and I do not place judgement on him for that.
He was simply a product of his own time and upbringing just as I am mine.
Never make the mistake of judging a book by it's cover, the skirted guy could just as easily be the most misogynistic and intolerant dude on earth.
The loudest redneck could just as easily be the easiest going.
There is no definitive answer, Qe Sera etc.
Steve.