Yet another protester wearing a kilt because they want shorts

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Yet another protester wearing a kilt because they want shorts

Post by renesm1 »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-y ... e-62138708

Same ol', same ol' when it comes to a protest over lack of shorts but good to see that Blaklader (I think) is still selling the hi-viz kilt!
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Yet another protester wearing a kilt because they want shorts

Post by Sinned »

Despite being where I live, my first thought was, "I didn't know you could get skirts in the orange safety material!" Looks good on him, though.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

I wasn't sure where to post this. Being that there are 3 threads going on this same story.

My thoughts are ultimately this won't go good for the bin collector. (Trash man or garbage man in US)

I doubt that female collectors are allowed to wear skirts while on the job, so I don't believe he can play the sex unfairness card. One would assume that the company might have a set uniform protocol like the mail carrier. If not The employer will most likely have to rewrite company uniform policy to say "no skirts, kilts or shorts or dresses while on the job.
Trouser up or be dismissed will ultimately be the outcome.

To me that seems like a job where you would want to wear trousers. I've seen some pretty nasty garbage before.
Either completely gross or injury inflicting hazards.

My company requires anyone that is on or goes onto the shop floor. To be wearing trousers, steel toe shoes, cut resistant arm guards, safety glasses and hard hat.

That encompasses say a IT department worker going out to just drop off paperwork. It's required no exceptions.

The guy needs to find another job if the heat bothers him that much. He should try welding with having to wear arm guards, a fire resistant jacket, welding hood and welders leather gloves when it's 94 degrees F. I have more than a few times. It's hard but when the job needs done it needs done.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

Sinned wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:15 am Despite being where I live, my first thought was, "I didn't know you could get skirts in the orange safety material!" Looks good on him, though.
You can also get the reflective green. I thought about getting one to direct traffic in.

https://kiltmaster.com/neon-green-kilt.html
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

mishawakaskirt wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:10 pm To me that seems like a job where you would want to wear trousers. I've seen some pretty nasty garbage before.
Either completely gross or injury inflicting hazards
Agree... and I imagine should he get injured as a result of his clothing preference, he'll be the first one to call for workers comp (or whatever it's called over yonder).

Pants are not the enemy. There are plenty of situations where they are appropriate.

Being required to wear pants in casual, free time settings, and the social stigma that burdens a man who wears a skirt on his own free time IS the enemy.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I've often seen posties going round in shorts. As for the binnies, well, trousers are more appropriate and the full gear is supplied by the council. Part of the job in all weathers, rain, snow, sun or wind. They don't actually lift the bins now. A couple of them drag the bins from the kerb to get them together. Another then places the bin into a lifting device on the lorry which then swivels it upended to deposit the trash into the cavernous interior. The bins are then dragged back to the kerb, not necessarily in front of its original place.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

moonshadow wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:19 am Pants are not the enemy. There are plenty of situations where they are appropriate.
Being required to wear pants in casual, free time settings, and the social stigma that burdens a man who wears a skirt on his own free time IS the enemy.
Right on Moon and what's more, this is just a token gesture. I doubt the guy would actually consider going full-time skirted.
Dennis, we call "binnies", Scaffies but they appear to be of the same breed with common traditions. Only thing is that the collection bit is what we notice. They also do stuff around the depots and dumps. Apart the refuse itself these places teem with a variety of wildlife and maybe not the best environment for exposed bits of flesh.
Steve.
Chirp
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Chirp »

I have seen this guys story, I can feel for him in the heat doing his job,
But to me he is a cry baby. I will explain why,

1st off its the job he is doing, He is working on a waste collection recycling truck. This truck has moving parts that can snag loose fitting clothes.
Also the Green bin are used for collecting kitchen and other plant or animal wastes. In nut shell u don't want any liquid waste to get on you.
This is why work cloths for the job.

Now the trucks will very. Some have a arm that grab bins and help lift them, Some u do all the lifting. Some u rest bin on a lift bar and the truck lift them. Ether way there are moving parts that can snag loose clothes, It would be safer for him in shorts vs a kilt,
In some jobs a skirt or kilt become a huge safety concern.

Kids protesting no shorts in school and wore kilt, No safety concerns.
A job were no safety concerns then there should not be a prob.
But hi-risk places with moving parts that can snag loose fitting clothes is not the place for skirts kilts baggy shirts and what not,
Change after work into what every u want. I have seen many people hurt due to what they were wearing get snagged.
Its never good for the person.
No one mess's with a big guy in kilt
Bodycon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bodycon »

Chirp wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:15 pm In nut shell u don't want any liquid waste to get on you.
A skirt will most likely shed the spillage away from you as it does with rain, which shorts won't and unless you have sealed ankles on trousers you will still get ankles wet with horizontal liquid splashes.
Chirp wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:15 pm It would be safer for him in shorts vs a kilt,
In some jobs a skirt or kilt become a huge safety concern.
Given that he was told that a kilt was not banned we would expect (though maybe not carried out) that this has been risk assessed and that his tasks are seen as safe in a skirt.
Chirp wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:15 pm I have seen many people hurt due to what they were wearing get snagged.
Its never good for the person.
A skirt is probably safer in some scenarios than trousers or shorts. You get velcro tabbed hi-vis vests now that come apart if snagged, the kilt could be made the same, however it would be much more difficult for shorts or trousers.

It all comes back to the tasks and associated risks both for the company and him personally. When it is very hot, they should simply change their shifts and work very early or very late and avoid the sun altogether.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Tending a bonfire and welding are the only jobs where I feel unsafe wearing a skirt -- although a skirt might be quicker to remove and cause fewer skin burns than trousers if they caught fire.  For operating a metalwork lathe, a long skirt is safer than trousers because it keeps the swarf out of your shoes; for canal sludge clearing, a short skirt is more comfortable than trousers because it hangs clear of your legs when wet, doesn't 'wick' the wet into your socks and it dries out quicker.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.