Guardian article on men wearing skirts

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Guardian article on men wearing skirts

Post by Ray »

https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/202 ... -but-can-i

See attached - pile in with your comments! I have.

Good coverage. The article, that is; not the garment.
SkaterSkirtWearer

Re: Guardian article on men wearing skirts

Post by SkaterSkirtWearer »

Just had a read and I like this a lot!!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Yeah, well written piece but the answer to the question?
Only if you actually try it and see!
Easy said to just give it a go but until more men do nought will change.
Steve.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

There was a good comment:
You could argue that they're not shouting insults because of the skirt, they're shouting insults because that's what they do.

The skirt is only the excuse to be abusive not the reason. We probably shouldn't buy into their excuses.
Or as the saying goes "haters gonna hate".
TheRod
Distinguished Member

Post by TheRod »

Good article, spoiled by the last sentence hinting at a lack of commitment to skirt wearing:
"I don’t have the energy for that every day. I can’t say what I’ll be wearing tomorrow, but I do know this: it’ll have goddamn pockets on it."
He should have expounded on this and listed ways to overcome the limitation that only applies to some skirts.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

TheRod wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:11 am He should have expounded on this and listed ways to overcome the limitation that only applies to some skirts.
He could expound until the cows come home and list ad nauseum but the only way to overcome the limit is to get past it.

Like the man says,
Coder wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:45 pm "haters gonna hate".
There is no magic formula, just sheer bloody mindedness and perseverance.
Overcome, some day but certainly not overnight that is for sure.
Steve.
TheRod
Distinguished Member

Post by TheRod »

The intent of my reply was that the author could have explained to men who want to try skirts that there are practical limitations to some skirt wearing they should be aware about. They can be overcome by using skirts with pockets such as cargo/utility skirts, backpacks, handbags and so on.

I really like the Athlete Workout kilt from UT Kilts for instance that has generous invisible pockets and looks more like a regular skirt than a kilt.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

by TheRod » Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:11 pm

I can’t say what I’ll be wearing tomorrow, but I do know this: it’ll have goddamn pockets on it."
He should have expounded on this and listed ways to overcome the limitation that only applies to some skirts.
In addition to the suggestions already offered, I've taken recently to 'adding pockets' on some skirts. Far too many skirts I like fail to come with pockets, and rather than miss out on those I've taken to carrying a purse for some of them -- but others, I use more as 'work skirts' or all purpose skirts and I get really frustrated if they don't have pockets. The link below is an example of an all-purpose skirt that I liked and wore often despite it's lack of pockets. As you can see, it was a fairly easy sewing task (for a seamstress) to add two large pockets that did not effect the lines or appearance of the skirt. [I'm fortunate, local rates are low and the task only cost $6.00]

https://photos.app.goo.gl/nTXudcH6sTnRDkPC6
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

Nice article indeed.
I went to drama school, and would say roughly 100% of the boys were there so they could wear dresses.
I've wondered about that. I've actually considered doing drama, but I don't really like all the bits not relating to wearing dresses :)
Yonkas
Distinguished Member

Post by Yonkas »

STEVIE wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:13 am There is no magic formula, just sheer bloody mindedness and perseverance.
Overcome, some day but certainly not overnight that is for sure.
Steve.
Yup! Stubbornness is key!

It also helps to have a rebellious streak, in my case.

Every time somebody suggests I should be wearing pants, the clothing only gets prettier and more flowy (though I do spend more energy than I'd like in making myself look good).

I only have one life to live, and I'll be damned if I spend it hiding myself because of some outdated gender roles.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

TheRod wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:46 am The intent of my reply was that the author could have explained to men who want to try skirts that there are practical limitations to some skirt wearing they should be aware about.
I understand what you are getting at Rod but lets not deter guys on a voyage of discovery by pointing out the little challenges of skirt wearing either.
On the other hand, Andy Average won't likely get enticed by a skirt because it comes with voluminous storage. Unless he is American and it includes a set of holsters, that is.
Sad fact is that getting more guys into skirts will be a very hard sell but a potential goldmine if someone finds the way.
Yonkas wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:33 pm I only have one life to live, and I'll be damned if I spend it hiding myself because of some outdated gender roles.
Yup, a man after my own heart, this ain't no rehearsal.
Steve.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

I know this post/article is nearly a year old, but I ran across a podcast where the author reads it for a podcast:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... ing-skirts
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Try this one just out:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/28/opin ... awley.html

Hawley and masculinity --
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamie001 »

Faldaguy wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 6:43 am Try this one just out:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/28/opin ... awley.html

Hawley and masculinity --
This article is behind a pay-wall. Can you please copy and paste the text of the article into this thread?

Thanks.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

jamie001 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 2:15 pmThis article is behind a pay-wall. Can you please copy and paste the text of the article into this thread?
That is technically a violation of copyright law and as such is discouraged unless another copy can be found -- unencumbered -- and linked to.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!