I thought this was a good twitter thread

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Re: I thought this was a good twitter thread

Post by Big and Bashful »

No, I will never understand what seems to be the typical Murrican mentality! no middle path, no common sense approach, if you are a Democrat apparently you are a Communist, if you are the other way inclined then you have to be a gun toting Trumpist, against any form of social care, with that "let the poor die, unless you are a foetus" mentality. There doesn't seem to be any middle way. Then instead of religion there seems to be stark raving Christianity. We have our problems on this little wet island of Britainshire, but compared to the US, I reckon we seem almost sane.

I look at news from the States with a sort of horrified fascination as both sides seem to be getting more and more extreme!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Big and Bashful wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:49 pmI look at news from the States with a sort of horrified fascination as both sides seem to be getting more and more extreme!
This is being constantly fanned by the controlling class and the popular media. Like most other places on Earth, there's vastly more that unites us than divides us -- but you'll never see that because of all the rancour that's getting whipped up by the news at the behest of the corrupt in charge.

It's tragic, really, but the creation of artificial friction is a great way to keep the populace distracted from the real problems at hand.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

crfriend wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:01 pm It's tragic, really, but the creation of artificial friction is a great way to keep the populace distracted from the real problems at hand.
I bring this up nearly every time I'm involved in a political discussion (either side) and I get agreement... and then the discussion devolves back into the rank sort of discussion it had been. This is why I avoid politics - people can't see past their tribal allegiances even when they acknowledge that they are being intentionally manipulated for ratings/votes/etc...
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

crfriend wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:01 pm
Big and Bashful wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:49 pmI look at news from the States with a sort of horrified fascination as both sides seem to be getting more and more extreme!
This is being constantly fanned by the controlling class and the popular media. Like most other places on Earth, there's vastly more that unites us than divides us -- but you'll never see that because of all the rancour that's getting whipped up by the news at the behest of the corrupt in charge.

It's tragic, really, but the creation of artificial friction is a great way to keep the populace distracted from the real problems at hand.
All makes good sense and the media whipping issues up into a frenzy is predictable as well as sad. Then today is a good example, with the clock being wound back 50 years about abortions, as well as the stream of mass shootings playing against the gun lobbies, I would love to be convinced otherwise but at the moment, I am so glad the U.S. is a few thousand miles away from my sad little life! Anyway, I have a skirt on, I need to go for a walk to fend off the worst of the effects of my diabetes and it's raining. I must be in Scotland!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Reading about all this latest from the US of A, I can agree with B&B that it's just as well it's all 3000+ miles away.

A word of caution about venturing out & about where you are domiciled, B&B at this time of year exposing any square inch of uncovered flesh, e.g. legs
can result in a very rapid flight into somewhere away from the midges/gnats. We have had just one experience of that, never to be repeated !

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Kirbstone wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:44 pm Reading about all this latest from the US of A, I can agree with B&B that it's just as well it's all 3000+ miles away.

A word of caution about venturing out & about where you are domiciled, B&B at this time of year exposing any square inch of uncovered flesh, e.g. legs
can result in a very rapid flight into somewhere away from the midges/gnats. We have had just one experience of that, never to be repeated !

Tom
Hi Tom, Tonight was perfect midgey weather, yes I was skirted, yes, no wind and there had been a shower so the midges were ready. As long as I kept moving they weren’t a problem, I sat down for a few minutes but got moving again when I felt them starting on me. Keep moving, not a problem, well not tonight anyway. It’s great watching the bats on the hunt for midges at dusk.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Kirbstone wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:44 pmReading about all this latest from the US of A, I can agree with B&B that it's just as well it's all 3000+ miles away.
Indeed I read what what was available from TV captions this evening and was quite disgusted by the whole situation, Next steps, I hope, are the rescinding of the 14th Amendment and the Emancipation Proclamation itself. That'd restore the USA to where it seems to be societally at the moment.

I am not amused in the slightest, and thank goodness that I am beyond producing any progeny.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

Coder wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:06 pm This is why I avoid politics - people can't see past their tribal allegiances even when they acknowledge that they are being intentionally manipulated for ratings/votes/etc...
The thing that strikes me most about America is the language: people don't say "Democratic voters" or "Republican voters", they say "Democrats" and "Republicans". You're not someone who votes Democrat, no you are a Democrat. It's not just major news outlets doing that, it's everywhere, even otherwise ordinary people.

That doesn't happen here. When people talk about D66'ers, they refer to actual party members, not the people who vote for them.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

The thing that strikes me is how little politics actually comes up in "meat space" conversations.

Oh sure it does happen, especially when something major happens, but it settles down in a few days and people go back to talking about their weekend plans, favorite recipes, what their children did yesterday, etc.

I'll never forget an incident that made me chuckle... I was sitting at a bar working on a dishwasher behind the bar, it was generally quiet as it was an off peak hour in the mid afternoon, and while I was working I was just silently listening to the chatter of the bar patrons...

A man was sitting there watching the TV, enjoying a cold brew... another man entered and sat down beside him and ordered a drink...

A political ad came over the TV and the second man commented to the first regarding what the ad was about. I don't remember what the ad was for, but I remember the first guys comment...

He sipped his beer, sighed, looked up and stated "just want I wanted, to sit in a bar and talk politics" as he rolled his eyes..

The second guy scoffed and shut the hell up! :lol:

I would later find out that the first guy was a lawyer just trying to unwind on a lunch break...
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.