Taiwan amusement park short skirts discount

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Taiwan amusement park short skirts discount

Post by mishawakaskirt »

I run across this on the web.
While it has nothing to do directly with us MIS, it does have to deal with skirts.
Seems like a amusement park opened a can of worms on them selves.

Offering a discount perk for students wearing short skirts.

Of course some are crying the objectification of women card.
The article says anyone can get the discount for wearing a short skirt
My question is would a male student showing up at the entrance gate in the same skirt be given the same treatment or welcome? I'm certain there won't be many male takers.

What's your take away on this latest?

https://www.insider.com/theme-park-taiw ... rts-2022-6
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Taiwan amusement park short skirts discount

Post by Coder »

Besides my general distaste of the concept (objectifying women, which I do think this does), to answer the main question: I’m pretty sure a guy showing up with a short skirt would not get the discount. Whether social media would CARE and raise a fuss over it, probably depends on the individual. If it’s just a regular guy - no one would pay attention to it.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

"The representative added that there are no restrictions on the gender or age of any visitors who wish to snag the discounted tickets, which means that men can also show up in school uniforms with skirts."
If they are saying that anyone, male or female, can benefit from this offer, then it's not "objectifying women".

That said, I am not entirely comfortable with the idea because it seems to be mainly directed at schoolgirls, and there is a bit of a sexual connotation in my view, so no, I don't think it's a great idea.

People should be free to wear what they like and feel comfortable in. Offering a discount for those wearing one garment entails what is effectively a penalty for those who choose something else. Let's support dress equality. Let people wear what they like without discounts or penalties.
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

Stu wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:20 pm That said, I am not entirely comfortable with the idea because it seems to be mainly directed at schoolgirls, and there is a bit of a sexual connotation in my view, so no, I don't think it's a great idea.
Japan in particular has a HUGE problem with the sexualisation of young/school girls. I had not heard about it being an integral part of Taiwanese culture, but I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. Sometimes I just want to smack humanity in the face.
Ralph!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Nope, this is just some perverted and lecherous gimmick.
I doubt that it would even be legal in the UK and other parts of Europe.
In that light any equality considerations pale into insignificance.
Steve
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

It does say in the article, "The representative added that there are no restrictions on the gender or age of any visitors who wish to snag the discounted tickets, which means that men can also show up in school uniforms with skirts." That seems clear enough. Different culture, different rules, different tolerances.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

STEVIE wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:09 pm Nope, this is just some perverted and lecherous gimmick.
I doubt that it would even be legal in the UK and other parts of Europe.
In that light any equality considerations pale into insignificance.
Steve
Well put!
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Sinned wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:50 pm It does say in the article, "The representative added that there are no restrictions on the gender or age of any visitors who wish to snag the discounted tickets, which means that men can also show up in school uniforms with skirts." That seems clear enough. Different culture, different rules, different tolerances.
Sage words. I’d look at the detail before judging.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Ray wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:03 pm Sage words. I’d look at the detail before judging.
Somehow, I just cannot see this as desirable at any level, it doesn't indicate some fantasy fulfilment between adults to my way of thinking.
Would anyone here accompany their daughters, granddaughters or great ones to a theme park looking like an extra from a Britney Spears video?
Personally, I can appreciate a pretty lady in any guise from 5 to 85 without turning it into a lecherous charade.
In addition, bear in mind that "different culture, rules and tolerances" can also get a guy in a skirt sent to jail or a ten year old girl married to a thirty year old man.
I think I will rest my case.
Steve.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Whatever, let them "enjoy" it while they can. The way China is talking it could all be a wasteland in a year or two. Not just Taiwan but the whole world, assuming they have enough nukes. The world seems a more dangerous place at the moment. Somehow the men wearing dresses/skirts seems rather trivial. Plan for tomorrow, live for today.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

Not everyone sees it as a problem it seems https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/4560674. The article mentions that similar promotions are offered in night clubs. I remember a time here in the UK when only men paid to get into clubs! There has been a lot of progress in the last 40 years. One day you might actually be able buy a skirt in the men's section... or even there will be no sections as clothing will be non-gendered.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I really do wish they would eliminate the men's and women's demarcation. It might actually make it easier for the average bloke to buy a skirt. Apart from material, pattern and style ( most of which don't matter ) there is a lot of overlap.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

SkirtsDad wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:21 am I remember a time here in the UK when only men paid to get into clubs! There has been a lot of progress in the last 40 years. One day you might actually be able buy a skirt in the men's section... or even there will be no sections as clothing will be non-gendered
Ye Gods SD, we must have gone to different clubs, I honestly cannot think of any in my neighbourhood.
I am talking from mid 70s to mid 80s or so as well.
If you can stretch the old optimistic nerve far enough then yes, anything is possible and I daresay acceptable too.
In that promotion, I'd love to know how they could effectively prevent lascivious photography.
Sure loads of "fun" but then that depends entirely on one's sense of humour.
Steve.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

SkirtsDad wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:21 am I remember a time here in the UK when only men paid to get into clubs!
We had that here in some places. Because this is a technical university city that had a massive over-representation of men. So women were allowed to go in and out everywhere without paying.

As more women started doing technical subjects the balance has improved quite a bit, to the benefit of the city as a whole.
Bodycon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bodycon »

Well, if was a girl, I would turn up in a very short skirt and get discounted entry.....then change into jeans once inside. :wink: