"National Boycott" over childrens book at Pizza Hut

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Re: "National Boycott" over childrens book at Pizza Hut

Post by Ray »

Pelmut - I concur. An apt description for that publication.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

Stu wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 3:39 pm I agree that a discussion is needed, Steve, starting with the question WHY? Why do you want to wear a dress?
While I understand the sentiment, I really don't think you should push for an answer. It took me 20 years to come up with an answer to that question. Expecting a 12 year old to have an answer will just lead to stress all round.

Just let "I don't know" and "Because I feel like it" be acceptable answers. You can mention that others might have an opinion, but always assure them that what other people think is not their problem.

I talk to family members who, when they were growing up, had a chest full of old clothing in the attic that they used to play dressups in. I'm jealous
I never got to experience that. It's just clothes, wearing them doesn't have to mean anything.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

pelmut/ray, I actually enjoy reading the DM but I also read, when I can, The Express and The Mirror. As an adult I can filter out views that are either too left or too right wing or go against my sensibilities. The Mirror is so obviously Labour and can see the influence in its articles and editorials. I smile. You are, of course, entitled to your opinions of the daily but not everyone ( me ) agrees with you.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Sinned wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:08 pm pelmut/ray,[...] You are, of course, entitled to your opinions of the daily but not everyone ( me ) agrees with you.
I cannot forgive them for this.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

Stu wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:08 am I am a bit ambivalent here.

If I had a boy says he wants to wear a dress, I would take him down to the store and invite him to choose whichever one he likes from the section which would usually cater for girls of his age. I would even by him shoes to match. He could then wear it when and where he liked and to his heart's content. There is absolutely no reason why dresses (and skirts, tights, longer hairstyles, ribbons, etc) should be the exclusive preserve of females any more than trousers should be the exclusive preserve of males.

Drag, however, isn't quite the same thing. It is often an element of a VERY adult scene. It has strong sexual connotations and so it would not be something I would think is appropriate or healthy for a child.

And no, Ray, I am not a Neanderthal or Homo erectus or Australopithicus. :wink:

Stu
Stu has already said my exact response; I was even going to start with the bit about being a bit ambivalent. As soon as I saw those pictures, my first thought that I would not support a boy OR a girl dressing like that.
Ralph!
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

STEVIE wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 2:35 pmStu, I also wonder how many parents would willingly take a boy shopping for skirts and dresses?
There was a point shortly after I explained to my children (tweens at the time) why the clothes I wore around the house didn't look like what their friends' dads wore - the usual disclaimers of no I'm not gay, no I don't wish to become a woman, etc. It occurred to me that given my example my son might also want to explore a more feminine side, so I sat him down and gave him a little speech.

I explained that making your own path and establishing your own unique identity in the world is great, for a number of reasons. You stand out from the crowd, you are true to yourself, and so forth. But, I said, it also comes with risks. Society as a whole is hell-bent on conformity. There are specific "social contracts", commonly accepted rules of behaviour. Some apply to everyone, some apply to men, some apply to women, some to children, some to adults, and some to small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri. The more you deviate from these social norms, the less tolerant those around you will be about your behaviour. That can range from fondly indulging your eccentricities to mocking you behind your back to mocking you to your face to exclusion from social circles and activities to physical harassment and even risk of your life.

Not all of those consequences are bad things: Who cares if some snooty clique mocks you and excludes you because you like to collect Eddie Izzard dolls? But when even your closest friends avoid you to the point that you are alone every day of your life; when your own family refuses to have anything to do with you; when you can't under any circumstances find a soulmate to spend your life with... at what point does the need to express yourself cause more harm than good?

Only you can make that decision. You have to base it on observed standards in your community, your school, your workplace. How do others look and dress and speak and act? How do you see them treating those who fail to conform? How hard are you willing to fight to defend your (or others) right to express yourself in unusual ways?
Ralph!
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Ralph :arrow:

Your father to son speech needs to be bottled
and given to ALL children, everywhere :!:

:clap: :clap: BRAVO ! :clap: :clap:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Ralph,

Proper speech to your children. At that time or since after, what has been said in addition?
What has been their reaction and relationship been like?
Follow up conversation, reactions, comments.

I hope that they are at least accepting or somewhat tolerable. Forgive me if this is something you have mentioned in the past. And direct me towards the appropriate thread.

Thanks
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

mishawakaskirt wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:46 pm Proper speech to your children. At that time or since after, what has been said in addition?
What has been their reaction and relationship been like?
Follow up conversation, reactions, comments.

I hope that they are at least accepting or somewhat tolerable. Forgive me if this is something you have mentioned in the past. And direct me towards the appropriate thread.

Thanks
That was over 30 years ago! But to answer your question... not much followup. They always seemed uncomfortable with the subject and quickly changed to another topic if it ever came up. As far as I can tell, none of them ever exhibited much in the way of "non-conforming" behaviour. 2.1 kids, white picket fence, the American dream.
Ralph!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Each newspaper has been guilty of such articles at one time or another with horrendous consequences. The DM is no different and the Mirror ca get quite vehement against the Tories at times.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

I cannot recall any paper being as vicious or as vile as the Daily Wail.

Their smearing of Ed Milliband’s (deceased) father (claiming he hated his country and was a Marxist) was a disgrace. The paper’s Enemies of the People” (naming judges who correctly blocked the Government’s efforts to invoke Brexit without parliamentary approval) headline was dangerous and inflammatory, and attracted wide opprobrium.

It is sexist (May/Sturgeon “Legs-it” headline), homophobic, racist, xenophobic (just watch the paper get into a froth about immigration) and so frequently prints false information that Wikipedia no longer permits material to be sourced from the Daily Fail. If you’re transgender, as has been seen in the link above, the consequences of their bullying can be fatal. Paul Dacre, its former editor, was a nasty piece of work. He just carried on the bike of previous editors.

Will you see an article in that rag with a positive spin on men in skirts? Dream on.

It fully deserves the vilification it gets on these pages and elsewhere. I despise it and all it stands for. Burning its pages for warmth is the best way to use it. The Daily Heil - so called for its support of Adolf Hitler prior to the outbreak of WW2.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. A huge number of its readers (not all) are so narrow minded, they could look through a keyhole with both eyes. Don’t believe me? Look at the comments section on any number of topics.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 4:59 pm How many times did we -- as children -- lament the fact that girls could wear pretty, flowy things and boys could not? They were forbidden, and the more stubborn of us still forbid them for ourselves for our entire lives. It's silly on the face of it, is it not?
I considered that quite a bit growing up. I noticed very quickly that young girls were encouraged to be themselves whether they were little princesses or tomboys. Boys on the other hand had better stay in their lane. It bugged me, especially growing up in a world of 1980's-90's feminism. The media frequently drilled it into my childlike mind that I was inferior on account of me being of the male sex.

The government, and country it represented repeated it's lesson to me that my blood isn't worth anything compared to a female's. I was expendable in times of war, girls can hit me but I can't hit back, fathers never win custody of children, and fathers aren't necessary... the state will gladly step in and be the father if need be.

At 15 I was convinced I was just a useless, worthless white boy. Staggering about without direction or guidance.

At 35 I realized that as a man of no great importance, expendable, and without any value, I understood that if I want my life to mean something I'm going to have to cultivate that meaning for myself. Even today I know that should I die tomorrow, the world will forget about me before my body even turns cold... but that's okay, I learned to like me anyway, and embracing a little femininity has greatly soothed my soul.

I don't worry about the ass-hat "wokers" and "anti-wokers". Let them fight each other to the death for all I care. I'm just here for a short while and I want to have the time of my life! Protest protest... whaah whaah whaah...

Comment sections are a pox on humanity, and generally not good for the spirit. I try to avoid them.

Anyway... I didn't get the memo in time and we actually ordered a Pizza Hit pizza tonight for supper... I guess that makes me a "bad American". :roll: I promise we weren't trying to "woke up"... we just didn't feel like cooking.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

moonshadow wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:11 am Anyway... I didn't get the memo in time and we actually ordered a Pizza Hit pizza tonight for supper... I guess that makes me a "bad American". :roll: I promise we weren't trying to "woke up"... we just didn't feel like cooking.
Moon,
I don't buy PisserHut pizzas as I have never really liked them. As for whither or not they are woke or asleep I could care less. I can understand not feeling like cooking, that happens to me several times a month. At which time I usually run out and get sushi. :nemo: :fish: :nemo: :chef:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Fred in Skirts wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:45 am Moon,
I don't buy PisserHut pizzas as I have never really liked them. As for whither or not they are woke or asleep I could care less. I can understand not feeling like cooking, that happens to me several times a month. At which time I usually run out and get s
They are the only ones that can make a pineapple and pepperoni pizza to my satisfaction... I also like their boneless wings too.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

moonshadow wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:58 am They are the only ones that can make a pineapple and pepperoni pizza to my satisfaction... I also like their boneless wings too.
I am lucky in that category as I have an independent pizza parlor just 5 miles from my door who makes the best pizza in 5 states and that includes pineapple and pepperoni pizza what we call Hawaiian Pizza. Their pizzas are made fresh, the dough is made fresh twice a day and is absolutely the tastiest I have ever had.
:chef: :thumright: :toast:
And they are skirt friendly too!!
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.