Article on the phenomenon of "men wearing skirts on the red carpet this year"

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Jim2
Distinguished Member

Article on the phenomenon of "men wearing skirts on the red carpet this year"

Post by Jim2 »

Article is here:
http://www.gq.com.au/style/news/thom-br ... 53dc79f9e4

I know that some will say that this does not help our cause, that the men are wearing them with pants under them, that the brand is pushing something only for wealthy people, that it isn't about what we do. While all that and more may be true, I think that anything that tries to break the grip of the idea that skirts are only for females is good. If that idea can lose its grip on people's minds in one way, it can lose its grip more easily in other ways.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Article on the phenomenon of "men wearing skirts on the red carpet this year"

Post by moonshadow »

Jim2 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 2:59 am I know that some will say that this does not help our cause
You know what...? I think it will help the cause. Finally, after what seems like centuries, men are finally starting to express themselves at formal events in the same manner that women are.

For so long at formal gatherings, women were free to choose from a wide variety of styles, dresses, skirts, gowns, etc. Now finally it looks like men are starting to catch up.

Those of us low on the totem pole of society have been free to wear skirts for the better part of a decade or more. But even so, during formal events, men still had to wear the monkey suit. Maybe that's starting to change??

Yeah... I think it helps... when a man is allowed to be creative for a change... it helps....
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Jim2
Distinguished Member

Re: Article on the phenomenon of "men wearing skirts on the red carpet this year"

Post by Jim2 »

I like your point. That's really right.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

I think the money line of the article was this quote of Thom Browne's:

"I think it's so nice when you find your true self and you stay true to that."

Isn't that EXACTLY what all of us and this website are all about?

Moonshadow said,
But even so, during formal events, men still had to wear the monkey suit. Maybe that's starting to change??

Moonshadow I simply must insist that you keep up; I have been wearing evening gowns to formal and not so formal occasions for years! In fact, I go to as many as I can afford to for just that reason; a chance to wear my finest.

(Now that I think of it, I'll have to check my submissions to see if I've posted any such photos of me. If I can't find any, I'll have to post some. Maybe on both "Pics and Looks" and this thread, just to prove I have anything to fear from posting such pictures on the public portions of our forum.)
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

I just looked through Pics and Looks and saw that I posted a photo of my first evening gown (Yes, I have several, make that too many. And no, it most certainly does not reflect the number of formal occasions I go to; it's an indication of how irresistible I find bargains.) in the thread from years ago titled " ... the Belle of the Ball." In the first picture I was wearing a borrowed dress. The second dress I call my extra special occasion dress (if you take a look, it should be obvious why.) So, it's not till later in the thread that I have a picture of the evening gown. All of the photos are from my hairless days so I probably should look for or take some contemporary shots of some of my other gowns.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
Spirou003
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Spirou003 »

My first impression when clicking the link: What's the crap she's wearing? Men look far better!
Good article :)
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

moonshadow wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 3:06 am
Jim2 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 2:59 am I know that some will say that this does not help our cause
You know what...? I think it will help the cause. Finally, after what seems like centuries, men are finally starting to express themselves at formal events in the same manner that women are.

For so long at formal gatherings, women were free to choose from a wide variety of styles, dresses, skirts, gowns, etc. Now finally it looks like men are starting to catch up.

Those of us low on the totem pole of society have been free to wear skirts for the better part of a decade or more. But even so, during formal events, men still had to wear the monkey suit. Maybe that's starting to change??

Yeah... I think it helps... when a man is allowed to be creative for a change... it helps....
Perhaps you're right. In any event, while the changes look to be purely incremental judging from those pictures, the important thing is that the change IS taking place.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

JeffB1959 wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 9:40 am
moonshadow wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 3:06 am

Perhaps you're right. In any event, while the changes look to be purely incremental judging from those pictures, the important thing is that the change IS taking place.
Although Thom Browne's skirts are crazy expensive, hopefully the more sensible outfits (nice to see practical pencil dresses and pleated skirts for men - including some men of color embracing the look) will filter down to us mortals, with sensible pricing. Looks like another hot summer, so cue UK newspapers with the usual builders / schoolboys / bus drivers in skirts articles on lazy news days 8)

The typical dark shades or denim is a great springboard for guys to start. A decade ago, no man would be seen in ultra skinny jeans, so yes, change is coming. Mention of the S word (skirts :shock: ) no longer sends shockwaves or negative comments like before :ugeek:
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
RADIATE

Post by RADIATE »

Good exposure, and certainly helps our "cause" to see mainstream guys nicely dressed for a formal event, including skirts and dresses. My only complaint is the number of pictures that show "waist-up". Defeats the purpose. Even the cover shot for the WP article made this mistake. :x Here's an unedited version:
280044005_10160476309553783_8545186413678879129_s2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.