Highsnobiety: Skirts For Men Might Finally be Here to Stay

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Highsnobiety: Skirts For Men Might Finally be Here to Stay

Post by Coder »

https://www.highsnobiety.com/p/best-skirts-for-men/

Note: this isn't the first time this publication has posted an article like this. It also strangely feels like it's all about paid promotion - all of the purchasable designs are very expensive, and no talk of the common skirt wearer, such as us here.
Why it's taken this long for the skirt to really enter the realm of menswear, I don't know. And I sincerely hope what looks like a full acceptance of the category doesn't once again fizzle out with a quiet yelp. People wearing whatever they want, whenever they want, means more styling options and less time trying to work out another way to wear your Levi's 501s.
I don't feel like writing out an answer to this question, but I think the topic has been discussed to death on this forum and others.
Uncle Al

Re: Highsnobiety: Skirts For Men Might Finally be Here to Stay

Post by Uncle Al »

:hmmm:
A repeat of an article that came out last year :|

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Uncle Al wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:40 pm :hmmm:
A repeat of an article that came out last year :|

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Yeah, they even link to an older article from 2019. Maybe the author really wants men's skirts to succeed?
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

The answer is in the name, "Snobiety", the proles are below their radar.
Us ordinary Joes don't pull enough bucks or plain old hype to merit their attention and the repeat shows that nought has changed.
As for the grossly inflated prices of the skirts, the same garments are indeed available at a considerably reduced cost.
Just translate your usual 30ish inch waist to 12, 14 or whatever and your wallet will love you.
Finally, I'm not sure that men's skirts have actually arrived yet so their staying may cause temporal mayhem.
Steve.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

STEVIE wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:43 am Just translate your usual 30ish inch waist to 12, 14 or whatever and your wallet will love you.

I'm not sure that men's skirts have actually arrived yet so their staying may cause temporal mayhem.
Well, I'm doing my best! Men don't wear skirts because it looks unusual, but it looks unusual because not many men wear skirts.

I'd love it if waist sizes translated reliably to skirt sizes! I try to take a tape measure with me when I go shopping, to get an actual waist measurement.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:01 am Well, I'm doing my best! Men don't wear skirts because it looks unusual, but it looks unusual because not many men wear skirts.
MB
Your "best" is all that you can do and I don't hold with the giving it the "110%" nonsense either.
One of my own "proud" past achievements was the first time that I openly tried on a skirt in a shop.
The paradox now is that I actually resent on-line shopping for the simple reason that the "try" is denied me.
Yes, we are an "unusual" bunch around here and that is not likely to change anytime soon.
However, last night, I had coffee with a very good friend and she was the trousered one.
I was in a dress and quite frankly I never could have envisaged that as anything other than a pointless dream.
The lady has never seen me wear trousers in the time we have known each other which adds to that "pinch yourself" feeling.
Sure blend in, but stand out and proud when you can! If enough do that, then the unusual won't be anymore and besides we can have a hell of a lot more fun in the process too.
Life is just too precious and short to waste being damnably miserable.
Steve.
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

The Financial Times's modestly titled 'How to Spend It' supplement this weekend includes a lavish article headed "Spring's radical new menswear". Down near the bottom are some all-white outfits which include a floor-length woollen skirt priced at £2100. That might be a little steep for the student who is modelling it, I fear.
https://www.ft.com/content/10fcaa63-bec ... d2b4344125 - or navigate to it from ft.com/htsi
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

I wouldn't wear a full length skirt in white - that would be asking for trouble - nor would I buy a white overcoat, but I like the layered look with the pleated skirt. This was one of my recent experiments:

crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

That works spectacularly!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

It looks extremely good actually but I'd have gone for a stronger contrast between the jacket and skirt.
Well done.
Steve.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:01 am I'd love it if waist sizes translated reliably to skirt sizes! I try to take a tape measure with me when I go shopping, to get an actual waist measurement.
Women tend to have the limiting factor be their hips, not their waist. Plus, the waist height changes dramatically from one style to another, so you end up with a very different waist measurement for a high waisted design versus a low waisted one that would fit the same woman. On a man, the waist usually isn't as different high to low.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:47 pmThis was one of my recent experiments:
Okay, that looks good, and very fun. The long coat makes it work.

Also, do I see nail polish? Well done!
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Is it just the light that makes your skirt and jacket look like they don't match? If so, it's a nice suit. If not, I agree with the comment that you need more of a contrast.

For what my opinion is worth, I feel your shoes take away from the outfit. If you don't want to go with high heels, try a pair of loafers, either men's or women's.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Pdxfashionpioneer wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:24 am Is it just the light that makes your skirt and jacket look like they don't match? If so, it's a nice suit. If not, I agree with the comment that you need more of a contrast.

For what my opinion is worth, I feel your shoes take away from the outfit. If you don't want to go with high heels, try a pair of loafers, either men's or women's.
No, they don't match. The next time I wore this skirt out, I coupled it with a waistcoat rather than a jacket, and I think that may often be my choice in future.

I'm still working on the shoe thing. The only heels I have at the moment are nice to look at, but they are a size too small and give me corns if I walk further than the kitchen, so I am hunting for something wearable. Most footwear seems to divide neatly into (a) nice but small, for women, and (b) large but boring, for men, and almost all of the shoes and boots I want are available only up to size 8 (women's). I'll look into loafers: thanks for the tip.

(Being cautious about the cross-dressing boundary, I have not yet ventured out in both heels and a skirt, only one or the other. My wife favours my masculine shoes: I think she feels it keeps me more firmly at the non-trans end of the spectrum.)
steamman

Post by steamman »

If you are searching for heels in larger sizes, try Giaro and onlymaker. Some of the styles are very high, but they also have some lower heels.

Heels and skirts work together. I was hesitant at first like you, and my first skirted outings involved flat boots. I did, however, want to try heels and I have to say that as soon as I tried it, I knew it was right. I can’t remember the last time I wore heels with trousers, I really do prefer them with skirts. It looks right and more importantly, it feels right! I find the confidence boost is huge, and frankly I don’t care what anyone thinks. I am not trying to look like a woman, but exercising freedom of choice.