Jazz News: Sylvain Rifflet

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Jazz News: Sylvain Rifflet

Post by FLbreezy »

Saw this online, a French magazine "Jazz News" has saxophonist Sylvain Rifflet on the cover and he's wearing a very tasteful skirt.
jazznewsparis.jpg
Don't know anything else about this and if he usually wears skirts, but the original photo is on Facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/jazznewsparis/ ... 779328104/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Jazz News: Sylvain Rifflet

Post by Coder »

Interesting - couldn't find anything on this musician (re: skirts). Also, I tried finding an online website for that magazine and couldn't.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

It seems like they are only on Facebook, which I generally avoid like the plague. I'd definitely like to hear the story behind the photo.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

FLbreezy wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:17 pm It seems like they are only on Facebook, which I generally avoid like the plague. I'd definitely like to hear the story behind the photo.
Hi Breezy
The back story could very well be most interesting but that could be where facebook would help.
However, why not just accept the premise that the guy just likes to wear skirts and leave it there?
We seem to be very preoccupied, these days with such detail in others while jealously guarding our own privacy and secrets.
One other reflection on facebook, The Skirt Cafe and social media in general.
Fifty years ago ago when I was really struggling to come to terms with wishing to wear skirts, I could have used them all.
I would have been saved an awful lot of time, heartbreak and sheer bloody loneliness.
Lets just be glad that we have someone else out there in a skirt and enjoy our own all at the same time too.
Have Fun!
Steve
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

I was mainly interested in if this was a one-off idea that the photographer-stylist had or if this was something he does when performing, or... ?

Either way I think it's great.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

STEVIE wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:36 am We seem to be very preoccupied, these days with such detail in others while jealously guarding our own privacy and secrets.
It helps me cope, knowing there are other guys out there who think like I do - I want to wear skirts “just because”. It’s hard for me to accept that basic premise without any other reason or wondering if something else is lurking in the back of my mind. Also, it helps me rationalize other people’s thoughts - the more regular celebrity guys they see wearing skirts, maybe that will make coworkers and family more accepting or able to think, “oh, ______ is wearing a skirt, I’ve seen guys do that before”.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

It helps me cope, knowing there are other guys out there who think like I do - I want to wear skirts “just because”. It’s hard for me to accept that basic premise without any other reason or wondering if something else is lurking in the back of my mind. Also, it helps me rationalize other people’s thoughts - the more regular celebrity guys they see wearing skirts, maybe that will make coworkers and family more accepting or able to think, “oh, ______ is wearing a skirt, I’ve seen guys do that before”.
Well said. I share the same sentiments!
Last edited by crfriend on Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tried to fix quoting format
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Coder wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:39 pm It helps me cope, knowing there are other guys out there who think like I do - I want to wear skirts “just because”.
Hi Coder,
You raise an interesting point in that I did say how lonely and isolated I felt when I was starting my skirted journey.
The "just because" is down to the fact that the initial inspiration may be so far back in their life or so subliminal that the individual may not actually know.
Apparently, I was around 3 when I expressed an interest but my earliest real memory is being envious of my female classmates clothes and it wasn't even a uniform in the early days. That "interest", like Topsy, just growed and growed.
The problem I have is with the perceived influence of "regular celebrity guys", hell is there even such an animal?
It didn't work when David Beckham wore the sarong. Top class footballer with a Spice Girl for a wife, how much more regular celebrity can you get than that? In that particular case, I reckon it set our case back rather than improve the idea in many minds.
Finally, family and co-workers. Family are the hardest nuts to crack. People who are generally liberal minded can close the shutters very quickly when it involves kith and kin. Like family, you cannot choose colleagues and how they may or may not react is an unknown until you actually try them,
My experience at work certainly taught me not to pre-judge that. Support and detraction have both arisen from unexpected sources.
Final note, if I can help in any way at all send a PM.
Steve.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

STEVIE wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:41 pm My experience at work certainly taught me not to pre-judge that. Support and detraction have both arisen from unexpected sources.
I'd be interesting to hear - either in this thread, a new one, or the pics and looks.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

You guys are all going on about this jazz guy wearing a skirt.
I hate to report I think he is wearing best to be described as culottes. If you look closely at the picture right by the n and t of the writing it sure looks like there is a break in the hem and fabric.

Culottes are not typically in men's fashion so Ill give him credit for that, but again I m pretty sure it's not a skirt.

Can anyone with a large computer monitor and some tech skills verify?
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

mishawakaskirt wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:38 pm You guys are all going on about this jazz guy wearing a skirt.
I hate to report I think he is wearing best to be described as culottes. If you look closely at the picture right by the n and t of the writing it sure looks like there is a break in the hem and fabric.

Culottes are not typically in men's fashion so Ill give him credit for that, but again I m pretty sure it's not a skirt.

Can anyone with a large computer monitor and some tech skills verify?
I was wondering that myself - or just really really baggy pants.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Well, from the width of the culottes' legs it may just as well be a skirt with a wide hem.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

I dare say, if he stood up it would look like a floor-sweeper skirt, but long culottes they are for sure. Lovely colour, though.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

In my own defence. currently, I couldn't have confirmed if they were male or female.
Skirt or culottes, looks all the same to me right now.
Steve.