Footwear News: Is It Finally Time to Stop Separating Men’s and Women’s Fashion?

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Footwear News: Is It Finally Time to Stop Separating Men’s and Women’s Fashion?

Post by moonshadow »

steamman wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 5:10 pm It’s ridiculous and it is discrimination and yet men have accepted this for decades!
It's not discrimination. There's just no market for it. Western economic models are designed to chase a dollar and abandon ideas that don't sell. So if more people were interested, then the boots would be available.
steamman wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 5:10 pm I think with generation z coming along we will see rapid change within a few years. I look forward to the day when I can walk into any clothes shop and there will only be clothes, not men’s and women’s. For footwear it is more problematic, but there is no reason why styles can’t be extended to larger sizes.
Don't count on it. The world experienced drastic change with the boomers, and they did move the needle a little, then they grew up and pulled back, but then gen x picked up where they left off, then they got older and pulled back, then the millenials (my generation) were to save the day, now the oldest among us are rounding 40 and starting to settle down into our own version of conservatism (which would have been VERY liberal by the 1950's standards. Now we have gen z, and they're going to usher in an era of enlightenment?

The jury is still out on that. I've not been impressed so far. Progress is being made, but it's VERY slow and requires a lot of blood sacrifices (literally). I'd say ever since the New World was settled, or maybe even going back to the Protestant Reformation (or to put it better- the coming of the age of print and literacy) the civilizations of the world have made two steps forward and one step back. We've been in this dance for centuries. Two steps forward and one step back.

I personally believe we may be in a "one step back" period right now. Gen Z is coming of age during the cusp of another wave of fascism we haven't seen in almost a century. I predict dark times ahead, and many gains over the last few years will be lost... but not forever. In my opinion, and based on some of the footage I've seen and stories I've heard, the boomers were a lot more "liberal" than gen z. It will take several generations to overcome the religious fanaticism (Christian Taliban) that is slowly gripping western Republican Democracy. Many lives and freedoms will be lost in the process. They must be lost, for only in loss can we truly understand what we had, and thus we begin "two steps forward" all over again.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

But no, don't count on gen z to save the day, they're still the same old vice ridden, greedy, self centered, asshole bunch that their parents, grandparents, great-grandparents, etc were.... in a simple phrase: they're human, with all human faults, folly, vanity and vice in tact. And since the dawn of time, humans only grow when they are injured. This is not me being cynical (though you may disagree)... this is be being a realist.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Footwear News: Is It Finally Time to Stop Separating Men’s and Women’s Fashion?

Post by STEVIE »

moonshadow wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:26 pm Western economic models are designed to chase a dollar and abandon ideas that don't sell. So if more people were interested, then the boots would be available.
All supply is based on demand in some way or another.
If the retail industry perceived better gains from gender neutral clothing departments we would have them.
Simply isn't going to happen anytime soon.
Until then, unless you have substantial disposable income, just aisle hop, it's actually rather good fun.
Steve.
6ft3Aussie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by 6ft3Aussie »

I know here in Australia we have Dangerfield, which does not have a specific mens or womens section, they're probably as gender neutral as I've seen/
They've been mentioned here in the past as they do sell kilts (in some cases pleated skirts marketed as kilts) to the guys and they have actually sold well.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

6ft3Aussie wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:42 am I know here in Australia we have Dangerfield, which does not have a specific mens or womens section, they're probably as gender neutral as I've seen/
They've been mentioned here in the past as they do sell kilts (in some cases pleated skirts marketed as kilts) to the guys and they have actually sold well.
I just got an email from Modcloth - a US retailer of retro-inspired fashions. Turns out they are selling Dangerfield brand (in AU sizing no less): https://modcloth.com/collections/dangerfield
6ft3Aussie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by 6ft3Aussie »

Coder wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:17 pm
I just got an email from Modcloth - a US retailer of retro-inspired fashions. Turns out they are selling Dangerfield brand (in AU sizing no less): https://modcloth.com/collections/dangerfield
Look for the Dangerfield label but also Black Friday, they seem to be the two main brand labels.

Had a quick look and I did see a couple of familiar garments.
The site say that they ship to Australia, but I can drive to the nearest Dangerfield in around 10 to 15 minutes.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

6ft3Aussie wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:30 am
Coder wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:17 pm
Look for the Dangerfield label but also Black Friday, they seem to be the two main brand labels.

Had a quick look and I did see a couple of familiar garments.
The site say that they ship to Australia, but I can drive to the nearest Dangerfield in around 10 to 15 minutes.
Ha ha - yeah, you’d probably be better off shopping local for that brand. I mostly found it novel that they carried the brand you were talking about.