Footwear News: Is It Finally Time to Stop Separating Men’s and Women’s Fashion?

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Footwear News: Is It Finally Time to Stop Separating Men’s and Women’s Fashion?

Post by Stu »

I can't imagine why any man would want to wear shoes designed for women. I spent a short period working in a shoe factory as a teenager and I saw the design process. I realised how women's shoes are designed to accommodate a woman's weight and weight distribution, and also her gait, factors which differ significantly from those of men (on average). High heels are bad enough for women, but they are surely even worse for a man to wear, given the extra weight. They are also designed to accentuate a woman's sex appeal by causing the hips to move in a particular way, and to emphasise her slender calves and ankles, and her vulnerability - something that is associated with femininity.

I am not suggesting that designers couldn't be far more adventurous with men's shoes - they absolutely could. However, i think I will leave the ladies' shoes to... the ladies.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Footwear News: Is It Finally Time to Stop Separating Men’s and Women’s Fashion?

Post by Sinned »

MB, actually undies are the least of the problems and are well designed and generally sufficiently forgiving to cope with all situations. :wink:

As for the rest, I know that there will be some form fit clothes that would suit particular body shapes but there is sufficient overlap to form a substantial display. There's probably an undeclared proportion of either sex that shops at the opposite aisle. Measuring how much would provide an interesting research project for a sociologist or fashion graduate.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Stu wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:30 pmHigh heels are bad enough for women, but they are surely even worse for a man to wear, given the extra weight.
It's worth noting that low- and mid- height heels on men's shoes were commonly available until into the early 1980s; two-inchers were common, and even the occasional set of threes. There weren't all that many of the latter, and "nosebleed heels"/"streetwalker shoes" were not -- likly down to your observation of size (both height and mass, with energies growing roughly by the square of the velocity reached by the height of the individual multiplied by the individual's mass). However, those were designed for men, and could absorb the energy.

Sadly, such things, like much of the "soft and nice" senses of style and fashion were lost with the rise of the reactionary and the right-wing in the 1980s. And it's been an accelerating slide downwards ever since.

So, if a guy wants anything more than macho flats (or the even more macho "cowboy boots") then one must look on the distaff side of the aisle. In short, it's a mess. My "nice" shoes are 2 inch block heels, and because of my height (a controlling factor in leg-length, stride, and speed) I need to be extremely careful with them, else I'd bust the heel structure up pretty quickly (and have one pair that need to be fixed already due to that before I learnt about the effects). The idiot bit here is that the manufacturer should have known that a 6+ foot woman with a large shoe-size would be putting considerable force on things, and clearly they missed the mark.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

Stu wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:30 pm I can't imagine why any man would want to wear shoes designed for women. I spent a short period working in a shoe factory as a teenager and I saw the design process. I realised how women's shoes are designed to accommodate a woman's weight and weight distribution, and also her gait, factors which differ significantly from those of men (on average). High heels are bad enough for women, but they are surely even worse for a man to wear, given the extra weight. They are also designed to accentuate a woman's sex appeal by causing the hips to move in a particular way, and to emphasise her slender calves and ankles, and her vulnerability - something that is associated with femininity.
Not entirely sure men couldn't wear heels with no more ill effects than women, assuming they don't try to start at age 50+ with sky high stilettoes. Maybe it's my American showing, but women can be just as overweight as men...

While you can say that heels emphasize a woman's curves, cause her to move with more hip, make her more powerful, etc. you could also say that a man in heels is taller, more powerful, and so on. Part of this is cultural. Not all, but a big part.
Stu wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:30 pm I am not suggesting that designers couldn't be far more adventurous with men's shoes - they absolutely could. However, i think I will leave the ladies' shoes to... the ladies.
Men's heels, formal sandals, or wherever other shoe options made for men, would likely be somewhat distinct from women's. But such things are rare as the proverbial hen's teeth today, so I'm more than okay with guys borrowing from the ladies on this front. But personally, when doing so I'll be on the lookout for ones that (to my eye at least) are more masculine styles.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Whenever I see a woman about the same height as myself or near it, I look down and they are invariably wearing flats.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Kirbstone wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:28 amWhenever I see a woman about the same height as myself or near it, I look down and they are invariably wearing flats.
They're likely fearful of appearing as overbearing or too intimidating. Women are sensitive creatures, just as men are (although most men don't admit the fact).

For a brief moment in time long, long ago I was involved with a woman of 5'10" who occasionally wore heels, and it was really nice to look over to her and look her in the eye without having to lower my gaze by moving my head.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Just a fun recollection; my sister is 5'10' or shade more barefoot. Many years ago she was sitting with a girlfriend at a bar with a dance floor -- and she had on a pair of heels she said added about 5"+ to her height. A guy across the way took a shining to her, declared to his buddy "that is the girl I'm gonna marry" -- and headed over to ask her to dance. Sis stood, looked down at his 5'8" head peeking up and said "Still want to dance"? That was about 40 years ago and they make a fine couple. So far as I know, he has never felt the need for heels!
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Stu wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:30 pm I can't imagine why any man would want to wear shoes designed for women. I spent a short period working in a shoe factory as a teenager and I saw the design process. I realised how women's shoes are designed to accommodate a woman's weight and weight distribution, and also her gait, factors which differ significantly from those of men (on average). High heels are bad enough for women, but they are surely even worse for a man to wear, given the extra weight. They are also designed to accentuate a woman's sex appeal by causing the hips to move in a particular way, and to emphasise her slender calves and ankles, and her vulnerability - something that is associated with femininity.

I am not suggesting that designers couldn't be far more adventurous with men's shoes - they absolutely could. However, i think I will leave the ladies' shoes to... the ladies.
Stu, well said.

The shoe designers must be taking notes from the fashion clothing designers. Making ugly @$$ shoes to to go with the ugly @$$ clothes and skirts for men. All they see is the dollar signs $$.

I'm not for wearing women's or woman inspired shoes. I'm a flat footed, overweight guy. And about as graceful on my feet as a hippopotamus. I can't tell you how many times I have twisted a ankle or stumbled just wearing mens shoes. I don't need to up the complexity by adding a heel.

Most of my working career I have been required to wear steel toe work boots.
It has gotten to the point that I wear steel toe boots almost all the time ( when one would typically wear shoes)

It started when breaking in new shoes for work, I got into the habit of wearing new STB to break them in. Then get rid of the old ones. Some how I got into the system that this year new boots will become next year's work boots.
So my work boots see a year of wear before they ever end up at work.

Much to my regret last September me and my wife went on a camping vacation. I decided to wear flip flops and not my steel toe tanks. A 4 foot plastic folding table shifted, slid out of the van and landed on my left foot. Ouch. 5 months later that foot still hurts. For awhile it had a numb spot, that finally gone away. But it still hurts from time to time.

Only if I had my steel toe shoes on that day, it would have saved me a lot of pain.

So you won't see me in frilly shoes. And many never in flip flops too. ( Well maybe at a pool? )
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
steamman

Post by steamman »

I find this sort of comment odd on a forum like this. The basic argument with skirts and any form of clothing is that there is no such thing as men’s and women’s clothes, there are only clothes. Shoes are not really any different. Yes, high heels are designed for women’s feet, but that is as far as it goes. They were originally designed by men for men and there is nothing inherently feminine about them as at their core, they are after all inanimate objects.

As for why would a man want to wear heels , have you ever tried? I wear them and I find them absolutely exhilarating. I ooze confidence, I enjoy the swagger they give me and I also love the look of them and of course, the extra height, not being very tall. In other words, I wear them for exactly the same reasons that women do! They also look fabulous with skirts.

Each to their own though, I know that heels aren’t for everyone. Interestingly, they are starting to make a comeback in men’s fashion. Not that I care, I love to wear stiletto boots from the ladies side.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Jiminy-jilickers they're all wearing heels!

https://youtu.be/-crgQGdpZR0
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

mishawakaskirt wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:14 pm

The shoe designers must be taking notes from the fashion clothing designers. Making ugly @$$ shoes to to go with the ugly @$$ clothes and skirts for men. All they see is the dollar signs $$.

I'm not for wearing women's or woman inspired shoes. I'm a flat footed, overweight guy. And about as graceful on my feet as a hippopotamus. I can't tell you how many times I have twisted a ankle or stumbled just wearing mens shoes. I don't need to up the complexity by adding a heel.

So you won't see me in frilly shoes. And many never in flip flops too. ( Well maybe at a pool? )
I am in a similar position. I have planters foot, which is kept in check by wearing special insoles. With the insoles I can wear ordinary mens shoes okay, but without the insoles I would experience a return to pain.

The doctor who advised me to get the insoles...told me to never wear sandals again.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

moonshadow wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:28 am Jiminy-jilickers they're all wearing heels!

https://youtu.be/-crgQGdpZR0
What did I just watch?!?

There was at least one guy in what looked to be about 2 inch heels. I'll give you that...
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Stu wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:30 pm I can't imagine why any man would want to wear shoes designed for women.
Hi Stu
My only point would be that you could be depriving yourself of a fair degree of choice.
I am a fan of Hotter shoes and boots and they are certainly not feminine footwear in any accepted sense.
In fact some styles are remarkably similar on both sides of the aisle but the men's tend to be more expensive.
These are not cheap shoes in the first place either but they have been good value to me.
Steve.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

STEVIE wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:16 pm My only point would be that you could be depriving yourself of a fair degree of choice.
I am a fan of Hotter shoes and boots and they are certainly not feminine footwear in any accepted sense.
In fact some styles are remarkably similar on both sides of the aisle but the men's tend to be more expensive.
These are not cheap shoes in the first place either but they have been good value to me.
Steve.
Hi Steve

I have an open mind when it comes to footwear, but I wouldn't be remotely interested in any shoes that are clearly designed to accentuate the female leg-shape and gait, which is the whole point of e.g. stilettos. That doesn't mean to say that there can't be styles that work for both sexes - of course there can. Around 30 years ago, I bought a pair of what were marketed as "vet boots" from an equestrian shop. They were similar to riding boots in terms of being high, but they were designed for walking rather than use on horseback and so they were also pretty much identical to women's knee-boots and flat-soled. They came in a very wide range of sizes (from size 3 to 11 UK sizes) so they were clearly for both sexes. I must have had them for about two decades and they were brilliant for rainy weather as they were waterproof almost to the knee. Now why can't guys have boots like those available in ordinary shops just as women can buy knee-boots?

Stu
steamman

Post by steamman »

I agree with you on knee high boots. This is a style that was feminised back in the 60s and has remained so ever since. It is very difficult to find knee high boots (or thigh highs) in men’s sizes , and you will never find them on the high street. They are great for winter, I own a pair of flat leather knee highs from ugg, but I had to buy them from the ladies section. It’s ridiculous and it is discrimination and yet men have accepted this for decades! I think with generation z coming along we will see rapid change within a few years. I look forward to the day when I can walk into any clothes shop and there will only be clothes, not men’s and women’s. For footwear it is more problematic, but there is no reason why styles can’t be extended to larger sizes.