Footwear News: Is It Finally Time to Stop Separating Men’s and Women’s Fashion?

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Footwear News: Is It Finally Time to Stop Separating Men’s and Women’s Fashion?

Post by Coder »

Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Footwear News: Is It Finally Time to Stop Separating Men’s and Women’s Fashion?

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

I would totally love a pair of those Chelsea Stage boots, but (1) they are sold out in my size and (2) they are £1195 ffs! :bounce:
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Footwear News: Is It Finally Time to Stop Separating Men’s and Women’s Fashion?

Post by r.m.anderson »

First it is SIZE and then money - OR - maybe it is the money and then the SIZE ?

In any event if the shoe fits - wear it - (ah er if you can tolerate the pain)
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

Well, if they don't have my size (or something near it) then it doesn't really matter if they are £1195 or £11.95! Near might be good enough: I am currently breaking in a pair of black faux suede boots that I found in Tesco's. They are size 8 (I take a 9) and they gave me corns the first time I wore them, but I discovered that they will apparently stretch slightly and become paradoxically more wearable if I put them on over thick woolly socks.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Frankly I wouldn't give tuppence for any of those offerings. I hate boots anyway and the view from 6' 2" above my flats is far enough. With size 11 UK wide I need canal barges, not shoes, really. Then I could actually walk on water!

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I quite liked the Dior blue ones with the floral design. Dread to think of the cost. :(
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Sinned wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:36 pmI quite liked the Dior blue ones with the floral design. Dread to think of the cost. :(
Massively overpriced "Crocs". Hideous. I disliked everything I saw in the spread.

I'm looking for grace and beauty, not brutal efficiency.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

I find a lot of these articles amusing rather than thought provoking.
Once more, and with feeling, ",,,,,,WEAR", has no GENDER! Fill the dotted line to your heart's content.
Whether anybody would choose any article is just down to choice, budget, and the all important spousal approbation.
Personally, I may have tried some of those illustrated as a youngster but today I prefer to preserve what is left of my structural integrity.
With all provisos noted in advance, just do whatever makes you happy.
Steve.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Walmart sold me a pair of the most comfortable shoes I've ever owned for $17. They were womens size 11 sneakers... I wear them every day whether I wear skirts or not. Despite being sneakers, since they are "womens" they have the little splashes of femininity that I like.

I wore them until the sole started to come off. Much to my disappointment, walmart didn't have another pair in my size (womens 11). So I purchased some shoe glue and glued the sole back on... still wearing them to this day.

Walmart finally stocked a pair in my size... purplish pink... I purchased the pair and put them away for later...

I resolved to always check the shoe section for another pair to put up for later.... I'm building a stock pile.

I found the shoe I want to die in... :wink:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

I'm mostly curious how these articles impact the regular "joe". Do they make someone more accepting? Do they roll their eyes? Are we (collectively) too jaded to see anything positive from such pieces?
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Coder wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:58 pmI'm mostly curious how these articles impact the regular "joe". Do they make someone more accepting? Do they roll their eyes? Are we (collectively) too jaded to see anything positive from such pieces?
I quite suspect that the "average Joe" would never run across one of these articles because it's not something that's on their RADAR, much less their horizon.

From a personal perspective, what I see in most of these "high fashion" bits is simply repellent to me; but then again I'm after grace and dignity not shock and awe.

As far as "getting it accepted" by the "average Joe", I really think the answer is to simply be the change you want to see in the world and lead by example. Sure you'll be alone for much of the time, but gradually others around you might consider the notion as actually being practical and fun and give it a go. Who knows.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

crfriend wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:05 pm As far as "getting it accepted" by the "average Joe", I really think the answer is to simply be the change you want to see in the world and lead by example. Sure you'll be alone for much of the time, but gradually others around you might consider the notion as actually being practical and fun and give it a go. Who knows.
Funny I used almost the same language, and same word "Fun" when I think of my style. Most of my skirt color choices may be drab at times, but when I think of my usual boring male uniform (jeans+"fun" t-shirt), I bring a touch a whimsy to the world but am not really fully myself unless skirted. Not sure why a skirt changes that, but it does for me.

And I found the styles in the article dreadful, but the Dior clogs were closer to acceptable. I'm partial to embroidery, not so much a response to the design but technique.
Bertino56
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bertino56 »

I find Fendi's knee-length culotte-skirts and strap shoes acceptable.
But please, Footwear News, stop using the term "Mary Janes."
I have my Duckfeet Himmerlands and wear them everywhere.
They are about as unisex as you can get. I like to call them my
"Christopher Robins."
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

moonshadow wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:17 pm Walmart sold me a pair of the most comfortable shoes I've ever owned for $17. They were womens size 11 sneakers... I wear them every day whether I wear skirts or not. Despite being sneakers, since they are "womens" they have the little splashes of femininity that I like.

I wore them until the sole started to come off. Much to my disappointment, walmart didn't have another pair in my size (womens 11). So I purchased some shoe glue and glued the sole back on... still wearing them to this day.

Walmart finally stocked a pair in my size... purplish pink... I purchased the pair and put them away for later...

I resolved to always check the shoe section for another pair to put up for later.... I'm building a stock pile.

I found the shoe I want to die in... :wink:
At Women's size 11 you have reached the end of the known world sizing (Department store) - women needing a bigger size have to cross the aisle to the mudane (mundane) grey colorless mens stuff and W-I-D-E stuff it is.
When the box label says women's 12 (there is no 11.5 in womens !) it is a label plastered over a men size 10.5 albeit about a size an a half difference image size chart - - -

https://www.shoesizingcharts.com/

It is helpful to locate and use the Brannock sizing device (usually found in better shoe stores) image:
BRANNOCK.jpg
Note the double end heel imprint and the sizing numbers (black womens --- silver mens) - double end --- one end for the right foot the other left
It is common for a difference in each foot - fitting is done for the larger foot
In the middle of the device is the width - womens are normally B (medium) width and mens D (medium)
Looking at women's 10 a line across to the equivalent men's 11
The device will not fix bunions calluses arch and support problems but will get you into size department.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

What's in a name? I'm no expert but if the name "Mary Janes" brings up the image of a particular style with the round toe and strap across the foot then it will have served its purpose.

Anyway, why do women have a different size to men's? Why can't a size 9 in men's be the same as a size 9 in women's? It iterates to have to add a 1 or 1.5 to a woman's size to get to a man's size. Or subtract from a man's size.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.