Variety: Sean Penn: Men Have Become ‘Quite Feminized’ and ‘Cowardly Genes’ Lead Them to Wear Skirts

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Variety: Sean Penn: Men Have Become ‘Quite Feminized’ and ‘Cowardly Genes’ Lead Them to Wear Skirts

Post by Coder »

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/sean ... e-comments

I try to post positive things, but one can't ignore the negative.
There are a lot of, I think, cowardly genes that lead to people surrendering their jeans and putting on a skirt.”
This is so hilarious/sad. As woke as the current culture is, it takes EVERY OUNCE of bravery for some of us to "surrender" our jeans and put on a skirt.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Variety: Sean Penn: Men Have Become ‘Quite Feminized’ and ‘Cowardly Genes’ Lead Them to Wear Skirts

Post by crfriend »

As usual, the article shoots wide of the target. The problem is not masculinity, but rather machismo -- and smart guys are starting to figure out that being the most macho one on the block is only an invitation to somebody else to knock you off the vaunted pedestal.

Masculinity is complex. It's hard when it needs to be, yet soft when required; it's cold and logical when required, yet warm and empathetic when needed; it can be raging when it has to, yet can be tender and loving. In short, it runs the entire gamut of emotion and capability. Men made a mistake when they allowed themselves to be pushed into the parody world of machismo -- a big mistake. Penn clearly made that mistake, and left his daughter "staring silently into the distance". Congratulations pinhead.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Variety: Sean Penn: Men Have Become ‘Quite Feminized’ and ‘Cowardly Genes’ Lead Them to Wear Skirts

Post by Freedomforall »

So does this mean that women are nothing more than the sum of their clothing?!?!
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

I have noticed this character talks a great deal about subjects he knows nothing about.

I don't think he is an especially good actor, either.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

At the risk of repeating myself, here is one I prepared earlier, celebrity and wisdom hardly ever go hand in hand.
Must add, Mr Penn may be a film industry expert but his use of "cowardly genes" hardly qualifies him to spout re the human condition.
I guess he wanted some column inches as he hadn't been getting enough lately, poor soul!
Originally posted as a PS on "Does Femininity Exist" thread.
Is he actually qualified to make informed comment on anything, if it comes down to it?
Will anyone speak in his defence?
Free Speech etc, we already know!
Steve.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

That’s quite funny!

Idiot - for all the reasons stated.

Rolling Stone magazine succinctly put it when their article concluded,

“Perhaps Penn’s comments say more about his own masculinity’s fragility than they do the men who aren’t afraid to change up their wardrobes.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rollin ... 92188/amp/
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Ray wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:57 pm That’s quite funny!

Idiot - for all the reasons stated.

Rolling Stone magazine succinctly put it when their article concluded,

“Perhaps Penn’s comments say more about his own masculinity’s fragility than they do the men who aren’t afraid to change up their wardrobes.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rollin ... 92188/amp/
I love the slightly sarcastic nature of that article, including the title:
Sean Penn Very Scientifically Blames ‘Cowardly Genes’ for Men Embracing Skirts
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Agreed! I smiled when I read that. The article does strike a good tone.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Just another whiney snowflake ranting that the world just won't heed his narrow view.

https://youtu.be/BpJbebfLmJ0

We've tried potions and waxen dolls, but none of us could find any cures, "
Mother please, is it just a disease, that has them breaking all my laws,
:lol: :twisted:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

He is an idiot on a stick. And he stinks as an actor, I have never enjoyed any of his work.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:49 pmJust another whiney snowflake ranting that the world just won't heed his narrow view.

https://youtu.be/BpJbebfLmJ0
Just because somebody has a "platform" does not make them worthy of attention. Idiots exist in high and low places, in roughly equal proportion.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

STEVIE wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:20 pm Will anyone speak in his defence?
Can one assume that is a no then?
Steve
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I thought Penn diid a good job in "I Am Sam" but otherwise has not made an impression on me as an actor.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Doesn't he look old now?
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

STEVIE wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:50 pm
STEVIE wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:20 pm Will anyone speak in his defence?
Can one assume that is a no then?
Steve
Well, it would be like trying to defend a flat-earther.

Expounding on things we know little about is an unfortunate human frailty that becomes epic if one is well known. An unfortunate combination of persons thinking they are more worth listening to and a greater opportunity to make public statements brings about a situation that causes hurt to others and harm to themselves, be it actor, tennis player or author.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia