Vogue: How Men’s Fashion Changed for the Better This Year

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Vogue: How Men’s Fashion Changed for the Better This Year

Post by Sinned »

Well, seeing as we are only in day 6 of this year and I have either been at work [0] or, due to the cold snap, snuggled up warm at home, I have not noticed any change. The same drab outfits now that new year has started. That is when I get time to notice the customer. It's the post-xmas sales so we have queues at the checkout most of the time hence there is a quick turnover and little time for an aesthetic appraisal. Hell, most of the time with mask wearing I couldn't tell you what the customers look like.

Actually the latter half of this thread has been a refreshing change. Contrary to UA's assertion it hasn't been political, it's been about this side of the river, it's been educational and even the posts of our friends north have been amicable. Thread drift is inevitable - listen to any conversation between two or more people and it seldom stays on the same topic for long. Hey even conversations with myself drift about with my thoughts.

[0] At the moment full time, more or less. I should get less hours after the sales finish later in the month.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Uncle Al wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:35 pmQUESTIONS - -
Where does politics come into this picture, talking about a "News Article" :?:
WHAT does politics have to do with Men's Fashion :?:
Well, one of the pernicious things about politics is that it shapes the world around us and reflects inwards by way of everything we see and experience. This leads us to the inevitable conclusion that something needs to be done, and it needs to be done in a way that will hopefully make most of us happy and return us to an even keel. The best that can be hoped for is that it can be done with dignity and respect.

As far as what it has to do with Men's fashion (and fashion in general), that's reflected in what we see today on the street for "style". Gone are the "soft" looks of the '60s and '70s, all replaced by the very "hard" lines of ripped jeans, "leggings", and brutally-functional stuff rather than whimsy with a touch of romanticism. I miss those qualities -- dearly -- and I suspect I'm not alone.

Fortunately, I will be gone in a couple of years' time and won't feel badly about it any more.

So, yes, it has plenty to do with style and fashion.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

I had that very question brought home to me in a conversation yesterday.
The person grew up in communist Moldova and yeah politics had quite an effect on fashion.
Jeans and other garments which we could take for granted were essentially banned or prohibitively over priced.
I found it interesting that she told me that it lead to many people creating their own clothes.
As for 2022, I haven't had on a pair of trousers yet so all good so far.
I am going to a live talk with Dame Zandra Rhodes on the 20th with a very special friend too so that will be interesting.
Only dilemma, I don't know what to wear.
Steve.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Steve, I presume that it will be a skirt. But depending upon what level of interaction you have with the Dame you are in a position to influence and influencer that has been an important icon in the world of fashion. Imagine someone like her pushing the aspect of men's skirts. Could be a pivotal point. Good luck.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Dennis,
I rather wish that it was a personal interview but it is actually a "gig".
How much interaction there will be is a bit of an unknown.
By contrast to my "usual" situation, if I were to wear anything other than a skirt or dress there would be very interesting questions raised.
Still have to be careful though as I don't wish to tread on Dame Zandra's toes, Ha Ha.
Simple fact is we are going with the sole intention of having some fun, ought else will be a bonus.
Oh and I am also being treated to supper that evening too,
Steve.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Hopefully your skirt will attract her attention and, depending on how much "hands on" she does nowadays, it may set her grey cells moving. Anyway, whatever happens, enjoy yourself.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Sinned wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:09 am Hopefully your skirt will attract her attention and, depending on how much "hands on" she does nowadays, it may set her grey cells moving. Anyway, whatever happens, enjoy yourself.
Not long now and just look at what could result;
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

But I will be retired by then and couldn't wait, so
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Fabulous outfit, Steve!

I love the cheeky grin. Your hair also works brilliantly with your beard.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Bloody magnificent, sir! Top marks and then some bonus points atop those. Brilliant!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Nice outfit! What brand/style are the boots?
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Coder wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:23 am Nice outfit! What brand/style are the boots?
Thanks everyone but to answer your question Coder.
They are female Chelsea boots from Office.
They have a brogue style upper and are about 4 years old.
https://www.office.co.uk/ This is the link but I can't see them on it now.
Steve,