Vogue: How Men’s Fashion Changed for the Better This Year

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Vogue: How Men’s Fashion Changed for the Better This Year

Post by Dust »

moonshadow wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:18 am
Faldaguy wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:55 am It does seem to me the onus is upon men to declare themselves (usually considered a masculine? verb) -- so perhaps the majority of men fearful, unwilling, unable or not interested in wearing a skirt are indeed feminine! Thus, by this reckoning those of us men who wear skirts are the only masculine ones!
An ironic concept, and one I've experienced first hand. I had a man tell me a few years back after a long discussion on the matter that he felt my skirts made me more masculine than the average man, simply on account of my courage and "don't give a damn what people think" attitude on the matter.

It has been suggested that of you travel far enough in the universe that you might eventually come back around full circle where you started...

Perhaps the same phenomenon takes place with masculinity and such... travel far enough into feminine territory and you wind up masculine again...

*shrugs*
I've come across the idea that doing something that shows or openly admits to some weakness or failing can increase other people's perception of that person's power or strength. The idea is that if a person can afford to show weakness in an area, they must be very strong in others.

I think a selective use of women's clothing by men or men's clothing by women can have a similar effect of amplifying a man's masculinity or woman's feminity. You see women do this all the time incorporating men's wear, and guys can get some of the same kind of effect with wearing colors and patterns that aren't stereotypically masculine. But it would have to be done right, with a whole lot of confidence.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

denimini wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:17 am It seems that there are plenty of examples of successful societies that are not patriachal, in fact in my own country the original inhabitants have the longest surviving society in the world (at least 60,000 years) and were quite egalitarian. Apparently there are not many matriarchal examples because to be so would not be egalitarian, suggesting that men were the only gender happy to not have such equality.
We have plenty of examples of females leading nations. Fewer than men, sure, but look around today, even. The queen of England, the German chancellor... And historically, we see female leaders popping up regularly as well.

As an aside, I heard about a study of historical leaders (might have just been European) that found female leaders to be more war like, starting more conflicts and spending more time and resources at war.

But women regularly wield a different sort of power. Women often rule the roost in the home these days, and have always had an oversized influence in the way children are raised, molding the next generation. Most men don't have near as much power to mold society as women on their same level.

And bringing the discussion back to clothing, it is women who give or deny approval in such matters as what their men wear (in addition to more important aspects of men's behavior). See just how many men here would wear skirts more often if not for the disapproval of their wives. That is power on the part of women.

We may not be ruled by a hundred women in the Senate, but rather by a hundred million women, one in each home. And I ask you, which has more influence on your daily life?
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Dust

There is no queen of England. She’s the queen of the United Kingdom, or the queen of Britain (not Great Britain).

Calling her the queen of England is like me calling Biden the president of Texas.

Please do try to refrain from confusing England with the U.K. it’s borderline offensive to non English Brits.

Thanks

Ray
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Ray wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:00 am Dust

There is no queen of England. She’s the queen of the United Kingdom, or the queen of Britain (not Great Britain).

Calling her the queen of England is like me calling Biden the president of Texas.

Please do try to refrain from confusing England with the U.K. it’s borderline offensive to non English Brits.

Thanks

Ray
She's our Queen too.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

denimini wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:18 pm

Thanks

Ray
She's our Queen too.
Sorry Ray, it is Great Britain, not because it is lovely or very nice, but because it is the largest island in the British Isles:
UK- United Kingdom, short for The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland,
Great Britain- a landmass, it stops me getting my feet wet. Not sure where than leaves Islay and the rest of the Scottish islands that are not connected by at least a bridge,
The British Isles- Great Britain, Ireland, The Isle of Man, The Isles of Scilly, The Channel Islands and all the other bits, over 6000 islands.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

The way I was taught this is different. The name of the nation state is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Irelands so Great Britain is the bit without Northern Ireland. Islands in Scotland, England and Wales are absolutely included within the term Great Britain.

The term 'British Isles' is Great Britain plus the island of Ireland. As the main part of Ireland is not British the term is inappropriate and actually offensive to some of our Irish friends. Apparently the official name of the 'Republic' is simply 'Ireland'. Happy to comply.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

England is included in all the various definitions of Britain -- so it is correct to call her the Queen of England, even though that isn't her fully comprehensive title.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

I won't clog the thread up by cutting and pasting, here is the link to the page I paraphrased from, not arguing either/any way, I saw, I read, I paraphrased:
https://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/H ... ifference/
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

The above, from the link, matches my understanding of the matter precisely. However, one thing escapes me: Where did the term "Blighty" come from?

There's also the historic matter of India, Burma, and several other places... But that's for a different day.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Hi Carl, I don't know where "Blighty" comes from, I have heard it and it seems to be wartime slang, maybe it has been around for longer, don't know, but you have prompted me to have a quick gurgle!
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Hmmm:
Why do some people use the word "Blighty" when talking about Great Britain? Where did it come from?

Mystery Hour Question

Why do people sometimes call Great Britain "Blighty?"
Name: Ron, Ealing

Answer

"Blighty" was first used in India in the 1800's, and meant an English or British visitor.

It's thought to have derived from the Urdu word "vilāyatī" which meant foreign.

The term then gained popularity during trench warfare in World War One, where "Blighty" was used affectionately to refer to Britain.

Name: Andrew, Durham
Qualification: Studied 20th Century History at University
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

Thanks

Ray
Sorry, my American is showing again, isn't it?

So let me get this right... Britain includes the whole country sovereign state (that has countries within it, whereas in the US the states are the smaller parts and the country is the whole thing together), but Great Britain is just the biggest island. Maybe with a few other islands (or isles). But maybe without one bit. Yet you are all Brits, even the non-English ones, yet I'm still not sure who exactly is English, just not the Irish, Scots, or Welch. But the Queen of Britain is dual hatted as the head of the Church of England, but don't call her the Queen of England (even though she is that and more), as that is offensive to her non-English subjects. And here I thought the Irish and Scots would take offense at being called British.

This feels like "Who's on First"... Do see why Americans get confused? (The linked article was helpful, but I'm still confused as to what names people take offense at.)

And your "president of Texas" comment raises a serious question: Does each of the countries (right word, wrong word?) within the UK have it's own leader like each US state has a governor? No King or Queen, I assume (but I could be wrong, a Duke or something?), but a prime minister or something? Do such roles have any real power?
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Hi Dust,
Britain = Great Britain, no difference. It is the largest of the British Isles, On it are the countries of England, Scotland and Wales. The United Kingdom is England, Scotland, Wales and also Northern Ireland, which is part of the island of Ireland, the rest of Ireland being a republic.

The British Isles includes Great Britain, Ireland and all the other smaller islands.
The Queen is erm, well she is Queen of the United Kingdom and any other parts of the Commonwealth that haven't binned her, or something.
We also have overseas territories, the BIOT being a contentious one, (The British Indian Overseas Territory, all or part of the Chagos islands, largest island is Diego Garcia) and Gibraltar is also part of the UK.

England has the Queen to wave at people and a Prime Minister to indulge in shouting matches.
Scotland also has the same Queen and has Nicola Sturgeon as First Minister with a Scottish Parliament however they would like to be fully independent but currently also have to answer to the English Parliament at Westminster.
Wales have the Welsh Assembly and some say over what happens there, as do the people of Northern Ireland.
Gibraltar has the Government of Gibraltar and some of their laws are slightly different to the laws back in Great Britain.
The BIOT is an odd one, an almost uninhabited group of islands with a U.S. military base on it. No local population, just US military, some British military and support contractors.
The most powerless seem (to me) to be the Royal family, in theory the Government rule on behalf of the Queen, but effectively the Royals are nothing more than figureheads. Even most of their speeches are written by the Government.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

There's also the unsettled matter of the Falkland Islands (the Malvinas, if you listen to the Argentines) over which a brief but nasty war was fought over in the 1980s.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Ray wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:00 am Calling her the queen of England is like me calling Biden the president of Texas.
American pro-tip for our overseas visitors...

DO NOT visit Texas and say out loud that "Biden is the President of Texas"...

It won't end well. :wink:

Big and Bashful,

Thanks for the link! Very informative
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.