Harper’s BAZAAR Australia: The age of genderless dressing: A sixty-something football coach changes the dress code

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Harper’s BAZAAR Australia: The age of genderless dressing: A sixty-something football coach changes the dress code

Post by new2skirts »

STEVIE wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:31 pm
new2skirts wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:48 pm Get out there and wear it is the best advice, Mark is enjoying life with fast cars, great clothes and photo shoots
Hi NTS
Are you on Mark's payroll by any chance?
If not, you should be!
Apart from that I quite agree about just getting out there and as for cost, that is your business and nobody else's.
Steve.

Lol I would like some of those outfits, though I would struggle in the heels :mrgreen: he just suits that pencil skirt though some of the sheer stuff with big slits or excessive material is just fashion nonsense in my view. Being on his payroll would give me access to some great cars too 8)
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Harper’s BAZAAR Australia: The age of genderless dressing: A sixty-something football coach changes the dress code

Post by moonshadow »

new2skirts wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:16 am Being on his payroll would give me access to some great cars too
I'm not sure if being on the payroll would quite do it...

I'm actually on the payroll of a man with 45,000 people under him in 53 countries and I suspect I probably can't afford to drive the type of vehicles he drives! :wink:

Though it would be mighty cool if he wears skirts! :lol:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

As usual I'm late to this thread so once again you'll have to bear with me.

I'm sure some of Mark's fame is due to dumb luck. More probably has to do with his being on Instagram in well put together outfits from the higher end designers/manufacturers, Finally, there's his penchant for photographing each day's outfit so he never repeats himself.

As to why the fashion mags haven't picked up on average Joes in skirts from Walmarts or resale shops, the answer is simple, that's not the business they're in. They promote the latest, top-end fashions in their articles so that those same brands will place ads in their magazines.

So, is there any upside for the rest of us to Mark being featured in the fashion mags? In my view, plenty. Fashion is one portion of the economy where there has always been a trickle-down effect. That is, fashions always start with the upper classes -- because that's who we all want to be -- and work their way down to the lower classes in stripped-down or at least more easily manufactured versions. This process was explained by Meryl Streep to Anne Hathaway in The Devil Wears Prada when Streep's character picks up on Hathaway's disdain for fashion and explains how the color of Hathaway's thrift store sweater had been big news when it had been introduced by a top designer several years beforehand and then its journey to the mass-market.

Will skirts ever become a staple in men's closets, hard to say; but the more that men show up in skirts in the fashion magazines that women buy, the more acceptance there will be for ordinary men who happen to wear dresses and skirts. Whatever the brands or sources. And that's all I want, including acceptance by women that I can be more than just a pal who shares their interest in fashion, etc. but can also be one of their own personal love interests.

That, and my being proof positive that the average male doesn't have to fit some stereotype of masculinity -- toxic or otherwise -- that they can just be themselves and no one will bother to try to suss out how masculine and feminine they really are; because, no one will care!
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

Like Pdx, I’m also late to the party. I also enjoyed the article on Mark who’s clearly living his best life, wearing the clothes, and shoes he loves, and I admire him for that. Now, is his style representative of the average Joes on this board? Nope, but, that’s okay and I don’t mind, while I can’t afford the stuff Mark wears, I like to think I do pretty good shopping at Old Navy, JCPenney, Primark and Burlington since I’m a middle class cubicle dweller. As for my personal style, I lean towards being casually dressy as I like to look sharp while out and about, whether or not I’m seen as looking feminine since I regularly wear heels, sport earrings and carry a purse, that doesn't matter to me, people will believe what they want to believe, it’s really no big deal to me. All this jazz about gender and clothing and such isn’t worth burning brain cells over, I simply look how I want to look, just like Mark.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Eehhh... even if skirts for me were to become more mainstream, it would just morph into another damned "wedge issue" ti divide everyone.

I rather like things the way they are... few and far between. It gives us a chance to truly exorcize uniqueness.

If as many men wore skirts as women that wear trousers, it would become boring and bland.... nothing special.

I rather like being "that skirt wearing guy" in the Appalachian mountains....
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

moonshadow wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:11 am I rather like being "that skirt wearing guy" in the Appalachian mountains....

Would it be appropriate to advise, "don't be bustin' your britches yet", Moon.
Relax, chill or whatever, the title from Harpers is just another bit of over blown drivel and it certainly won't be the last.
Vogue, "It's Official..........blah de blah de blah" is another fine example.
Besides which, I rather like the scandalising effects that my sartorial choices have on the fiends in my blessed sisters' clothing.
"Pissin in the wind, messy but satisfying"!
Steve.
"
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

moonshadow wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:11 am Eehhh... even if skirts for me were to become more mainstream, it would just morph into another damned "wedge issue" ti divide everyone.
Like wearing masks. If you had told me in 2014: "In 2019, wearing a mask to control disease will be controversial and seen as a political statement well into 2022" I would have laughed at you.

If wearing skirts got attached to a similar divide - and I'm not even sure how it would split though I have my suspicions - it would be awful. However, for that to happen I really think there would have to be widespread adoption, and I just don't see that happening so we are safe... for now. At least in the USA, I could totally see it happening in the most hilarious/obvious way. Liberals would wear skirts, and conservatives would start wearing kilts. Let's not give Washington any more bad ideas... :D
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Coder wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:56 am Liberals would wear skirts, and conservatives would start wearing kilts. Let's not give Washington any more bad ideas...
Well, as long as Biden doesn't show up at the Whitehouse in a skirt, then those of us in the red states should be fine, and if Trump doesn't show up in a skirt, then those of us in the blue states should be fine.

Though if either did.... it would sure make for some interesting commentary among the talking hairdos on the telescreen. :lol:
-Andrea