International Skirt Day 2022

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Bodycon
Member Extraordinaire

International Skirt Day 2022

Post by Bodycon »

From another post:

Maybe we (as a group) should start planning something for International Skirt Day to find a way to present skirt wearing for men. I have no idea if it has been tried before, but I'll start a topic for that and see if it can go anywhere.

Has the group of forum members ever tried to promote skirt wearing in a co-ordinated manner?

Would you want to?

International Skirt Day is in March (10th), could we use this as a promotional day? Have a few get togethers around the globe, and invite the media, organise a wear a skirt to work day and maybe tie in with a charity / good cause at the same time to give the non-wearers confidence (an excuse).

I don't know if anyone is interested, but the opportunity is there as is the time to discuss and plan.

Thoughts please.....
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Re: International Skirt Day 2022

Post by Stu »

Great idea - but 10th March... in Scotland where you are.... BRRRR!!!!

Wouldn't it be a better idea for the summer? Then we could get schools involved as we are now seeing reports every summer of boys donning skirts on hot days. Write to the schools and invite them to put it to the students.
Bodycon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bodycon »

Stu wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:53 pm Great idea - but 10th March... in Scotland where you are.... BRRRR!!!!

Wouldn't it be a better idea for the summer? Then we could get schools involved as we are now seeing reports every summer of boys donning skirts on hot days. Write to the schools and invite them to put it to the students.
!0th of March is always going to be cold somewhere in the world and hot somewhere else. The reason for 10th March is that it is the actual International Skirt Day date, so more likely to gain attention than a random day in the summer.

Yes, it can be cold here in March, but we are hardy souls (and wear thermal tights)....
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

In NL we have "rokjesdag" which loosely translates to "skirt day". However, it is not a fixed date, rather it's the first day on the year that women spontaneously start wearing skirts.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Pretty much every day is a "skirt day" for me so;
Perhaps an excuse for a new acquisition, not that I need one.
The 10th March 2022 is a Thursday, I can probably arrange to be in Edinburgh or Glasgow that day.
Media presence, promotion or publicity if anyone else takes that on, fine by me.
My days of secret skirt are an awfully long way past, lights under bushels methinks.
Sorry to be cynical but I don't see this actually happening and it wont be the weather to blame.
Just our own good selves, unfortunately.
I'd love to be proven wrong.
Steve.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I probably won't be much help, I'm afraid. My ideal would be to convince my wife that my wearing a skirt anywhere is no big deal and have her accompany me out in the wide world. If I could do that it would mean more to me than any large-scale adoption of the skirt by men. :D
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

I have just had a quick look in google and it is not inspiring.
The 6th March is designated "National Dress Day".
8th March, International Women's Day.
Keying "10th March 2022" , gets nothing for skirts for anyone of any gender.
Disappointed but not surprised.
Steve.
Bodycon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bodycon »

STEVIE wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:52 am I have just had a quick look in google and it is not inspiring.
The 6th March is designated "National Dress Day".
8th March, International Women's Day.
Keying "10th March 2022" , gets nothing for skirts for anyone of any gender.
Steve.
I suppose if you ask a rather oblique question you will get a vague answer; though if you stick in for a few thousand results you may find something.
skirt day.png
Looks like the majority are happy enough moaning about the Status Quo, but are unwilling to pop above the parapet to seek a change.

I'm going to try and organise a wear a skirt to work day (probably on the Friday with a few drinks after work (assuming Covid allows)) when it comes round.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Bodycon wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:37 pm Looks like the majority are happy enough moaning about the Status Quo, but are unwilling to pop above the parapet to seek a change.
The reality is that, unless and until more guys do go public, we are not going to see a tangible shift in attitude.
Apart from that the times we are living through are way too "interesting" right now for all the wrong reasons.
If we get to Skirt Day 2022 that could be a reason to celebrate all by itself.
Just shy of my 64th birthday, "Beware the Ides of March" as the warning goes.
Steve.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

STEVIE wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:38 pm
Bodycon wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:37 pmLooks like the majority are happy enough moaning about the Status Quo, but are unwilling to pop above the parapet to seek a change.
The reality is that, unless and until more guys do go public, we are not going to see a tangible shift in attitude.
The heck with popping my head above the parapet, I'm out of the trench, sword raised on high and bellowing, "Follow me, lads!"

I wonder if I'll see my 61st birthday...
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Don't forget that Mark inadvertently and recently ran a one-man publicity campaign, with articles in newspapers, multiple sites carrying his story. The ripples are still resounding around the web even as we post. He has had tremendous support from us all. And what has he really accomplished? Has it impinged at all on the general male consensus? Has it really changed the male perspective of men wearing skirts as an everyday event? We may never know but I suspect that there is not a huge groundswell of men gathering to demand that skirts should be for men.

So don't be dismissive of the muted response here or hard on us for any lack of enthusiasm. Many of us have been wearing skirts ( and/or dresses ) for twenty or more years. They are running a marathon, not a sprint. I have been wearing them for over ten years and my wife is the limiting factor in my public skirting. But for her I would wear them more. I wear them on excursions when my wife isn't around. My skirts are part of me and important to me but not more than my marriage.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Bodycon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bodycon »

As Stevie says, more people need to be out there and change attitudes, Crfriend shows that many people are, but are they willing to create an event, however small, on a particular date to further the aims?

Sinned, you mention an inadvertent event, however if it was advertent, how much more attention could it muster? The way to make waves is to make the ripples bigger.... A great hooha on here when a mention of men in skirts is made, but no attempt to capitalise on that when the opportunity arises is a strange juxtaposition.

I am happy enough not to have sat here and done nothing and will do my own thing at the time, if anyone wants to coordinate let me know.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Sinned
I certainly wasn't trying to be dismissive or pass judgement in any way and apologies if that is how it seemed.
My take has and always will be that each of us must choose his own way forward.
As to how "inadvertent", Mark's 10 minutes of fame was, only he can answer that?
I'd certainly like to hear his take on this point.
Carl, I really would like to say, man, you'll probably get the century never mind 61. That would just be false but it is a good thing that none of us truly know what the future holds. Personally, I am trying my best to live for today simply for that alone.
My office Christmas Soiree is on Friday and my contribution to our noble cause will be quite striking if I say so myself.
Pictorial evidence will be produced in the fullness of time too.
Steve.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

STEVIE wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:30 pmMy office Christmas Soiree is on Friday and my contribution to our noble cause will be quite striking if I say so myself.
Pictorial evidence will be produced in the fullness of time too.
Most excellent. I shall look forward to seeing said evidence.

Me not seeing 61 is more down to workplace abuse than dodging random bullets whilst waving a sword around. Such is the life we lead now in the 21st Century.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Sinned wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:06 pm We may never know but I suspect that there is not a huge groundswell of men gathering to demand that skirts should be for men.
Hello Again Sinned
Revisiting largely due to a random conversation with a younger colleague, female.
We had been discussing MIS and it's relative rarity to women's freedom of choice.
Her opinion was quite simple really, "there is safety in numbers".
That is how women achieved what they did, banded together and not as the lone wolves that men like to think they are.
Sadly, if we cannot learn from this, then the potential for skirts for men will never be realised.
Alas, I also agree about "groundswell" too, it isn't there or we'd have felt it's affects by now.
My take is just to be as positive as possible and go my own merry way. Others may follow and I'd surely welcome the company!
Steve.