PCGames: The Sims 4’s next kit adds masculine skirts

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

PCGames: The Sims 4’s next kit adds masculine skirts

Post by Coder »

https://www.pcgamesn.com/the-sims-4/modern-menswear-kit

https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-s ... n-menswear

https://www.reddit.com/r/thesims/commen ... oming_122/

Well, obviously this means the tides have changed, folks*!

*a bit of sarcasm here... this signifies very little. However, it is nice to see boundaries being pushed a little.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: PCGames: The Sims 4’s next kit adds masculine skirts

Post by moonshadow »

Heh... nice legs...

And cue hyper masculine, "what's the world coming to?!?!" comments in 3. 2. 1..... :roll:

Side note:

I've been a SimCity player since the mid 90's, playing Sim City [Classic] on the computers at my middle school's computer lab during the summer. I purchased a copy of "The Sims" a long time ago back when they were first getting started, but I never could get into it. Then there are the role playing games like Second Life, Small Worlds, etc, I just never could really sit down and enjoy it, and frankly found the experience rather boring. But that's just me. They are very popular games, so they must be doing something right. I just happen to like real world interactions....

You can set your "Sim" of your avatar, or whatever you call it to wear a skirt and mingle, but you'll never get the feeling of the cool breeze on your legs like you do out in the real world.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Do I gather you pay real money to buy "clothes" for simulated figures on a game played online --not even with real people across the table? What is the world coming to? Maybe that is what they call vaporware?

Sorry Coder, I can buy a real skirt, or maybe two on sale, for that at the local thrift store and push real boundaries.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Faldaguy wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:06 am Do I gather you pay real money to buy "clothes" for simulated figures on a game played online --not even with real people across the table? What is the world coming to? Maybe that is what they call vaporware?

Sorry Coder, I can buy a real skirt, or maybe two on sale, for that at the local thrift store and push real boundaries.
I hope you realize I have enough sense not to pay money for virtual items! Heck, I don’t even play video games (except this one free, no ads, addictive game on my phone, which doesn’t count :P).

But yes - this kind of racket has been going on a long time, long before the sims. I only found this notable because someone, somehwhere within EA actually took the time to say, hrmmm, maybe we should offer clothes designed for virtual men’s bodies. I get that some of this is just marketing gobbledegook - but prior to this (if you read some of the reddit thread) male avatars could wear women’s skirts, but they didn’t quite fit/look right.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Guess I'm just too old...avatar, in my mind: an incarnate deity, loose soul -- no corporeal body to dress in mundane duds of any earthly sort, but I suppose virtual clothes might be fitting -- too bad you can't use virtual cash too! :scratch:
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Faldaguy wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:28 am too bad you can't use virtual cash too!
I'm sure you can, cryptocurrency is all the rage right now. I'm hearing everyone getting into it.

Not for me though.... I vaguely understand it, but call me old fashioned, but I still trust the government backed currencies. I have a knack for allowing myself to get ripped off, and I'm sure I'll find a way to lose everything if I start to invest in this crypto-crap.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

If you think about it money is very much a faith issue. Money consists of a certain amount of cash, notes and coins, but much of it is electronic in bank and savings accounts, electronic shares and international trading entities. So most of money is a matter of faith in the government institutions since it is not backed by anything physical, such as gold, any more. Crypto currencies are no different in principle, just slightly different, but still based on faith. Once the newness wears off and the methods of exchange become more established, widespread and understood it should become more popular. In the meantime I will bide my time and not regret missing out on any vast fortunes. I don't really need to risk my money to build more reserves I probably won't get to spend.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Sinned wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:22 pm If you think about it money is very much a faith issue. Money consists of a certain amount of cash, notes and coins, but much of it is electronic in bank and savings accounts, electronic shares and international trading entities. So most of money is a matter of faith in the government institutions since it is not backed by anything physical, such as gold, any more. Crypto currencies are no different in principle, just slightly different, but still based on faith. Once the newness wears off and the methods of exchange become more established, widespread and understood it should become more popular. In the meantime I will bide my time and not regret missing out on any vast fortunes. I don't really need to risk my money to build more reserves I probably won't get to spend.

Cryptocurrencies seem to state that 2+2=5. Maybe for some, but not for most. Sooner or later those chickens are going to come home to roost.
-Andrea
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:54 pmCryptocurrencies seem to state that 2+2=5. Maybe for some, but not for most. Sooner or later those chickens are going to come home to roost.
That sounds like Wall Street in the USA. I'm just waiting for that bubble to pop because the revered Dow is likely only worth about US$5,000 when the real accounting is done by the ones doing the autopsy.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:16 am
moonshadow wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:54 pmCryptocurrencies seem to state that 2+2=5. Maybe for some, but not for most. Sooner or later those chickens are going to come home to roost.
That sounds like Wall Street in the USA. I'm just waiting for that bubble to pop because the revered Dow is likely only worth about US$5,000 when the real accounting is done by the ones doing the autopsy.
Well, when they finally come for me, all I'll have left is maybe an old stick built 1950s era house, a turn of the century vehicle, and maybe a pantry full of dry goods...

Not much in value I suppose, but at least they're hard assets... :wink:
-Andrea
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

moonshadow wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:58 am hard assets...
Bit coins cannot offer shelter from the elements or fill your belly if you are hungry.
Reference another game, Monopoly Money could be just as "valuable" if you found enough innocents abroad.
On the Sims and fashions, just a bit of harmless hokum really.
Although I do believe that the obsession with "masculine" skirts actually hampers the advance of men in skirts generally.
Steve.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Apparently the main issue I have with crypto currencies is the sheer amount of computing power needed to maintain their systems. I don't want to be part of that problem.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

It's probably easiest to compare cryptocurrencies with, say, art or old coins. People buy tokens and sell them, in the hope that later they are worth more. Which may or may not be true, but that doesn't matter, it's a form of speculation just like any other. There is the idea they could act as a currency, but so far they are far too volatile for that. Imagine your mortgage denominated in Bitcoins, you'd never pay it off.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

STEVIE wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:44 am Although I do believe that the obsession with "masculine" skirts actually hampers the advance of men in skirts generally.
Steve.
I often wonder the same thing. If there was a “masculine skirt” standard, then a lot of us would still be on the fringe of societal dress because we still wouldn’t prescribe to whatever the current style was - and might even still cross boundaries (ie, hoisery, footwear, etc…). However.. when it comes to the cut of the fabric - I do think more male-oriented cuts are necessary if only to drum it into sheeple’s minds that men+skirt=ok.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

The mobile game Pokemon Go (around 70 million active players, I think) has a variety of clothes for the player avatar to wear, a lot of them are gendered but some of them overlap (usually shirts) because it's extra work to make clothing fit 2 different body models. They recently added a black and white tartan wrap skirt with leggings and I was pleasantly surprised when they offered it to both male and female avatars. I've seen a lot of male players wearing it, as well. The fact that it cost a bit of in-game currency to obtain that item means they actively wanted it enough to buy it, I thought that was pretty cool.