FT article

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
steamman

FT article

Post by steamman »

When a serious business newspaper writes something like this, it confirms that this is really happening!

https://www.ft.com/content/0bc4247b-4d5 ... 761d12c9a2
Stevej180

Re: FT article

Post by Stevej180 »

That’s behind a paywall… can anyone paste it here?
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

If you google the title (in Google) and click the link via the Google search results, you should be able to read the article.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Try this link = it works :!:
https://afegames.com/gender-fluid-dress ... ed-carpet/
Good article :!:
There is hope for the future after all :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Save for the fact that it's concealed under the banner of "Gender Fluid" which most hetero-normative males will reject out-of-hand. More of the same tripe.

What we need is more hetero-normative males donning skirts and doing so as men without pretext, excuse, or apology. Only then will we stand a chance.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Stevej180

Post by Stevej180 »

Wow, brilliant (encouraging) article. I feel like I was born a generation too early :-(
Brad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Brad »

Carl- your comments about using the gender fluid label are so spot-on correct. I couldn't have stated it better.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Carl, Brad, when I say I am gender fluid or gender-non-conforming I am not making an excuse, an apology or anything of the kind, I am simply giving people a recognized identifier to help them understand me. By the same token I resent your implication that somehow I am compromising my masculinity. I'm not.

By the by, I rarely use the expression because the question almost never comes up.

Finally, I really don't understand why you two are so insecure in your masculinity that you object to the current terminology. I know that wearing dresses in no way compromises my masculinity and I am treated accordingly.
Last edited by Pdxfashionpioneer on Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
MrSoapsud

Post by MrSoapsud »

I didn't want to "Allow" the other site to send me notification but we have an FT subscription at work so here's a PDF of the article for anyone who hasn't read it yet.
https://e.pcloud.link/publink/show?code ... r8emhJM1LV
Regards
Martin
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Described as a gender fluid style. Regardless of whether we like or identify with that style, it does add to the variety that other people are exposed to.
I was wondering why some of us are interested, enthusiastic or encouraged by changing fashions (or accepted styles). Is it to "legitamise" or popularise our preferences in clothing so we feel less threatened or is it that there needs to be new types of clothing that don't yet exist?
I would rather pin hopes on people eventually accepting what other's choose to wear. That way we can all look at the marvellous pallet of clothing already produced and create our own personal style, which will be appropriately called "My Style".

It would be great if things could be accepted without having to become commonplace first.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

I resent being expected to willingly compromise my masculinity by applying a label to myself because of something as silly as what garment I happen to be wearing at the moment. Clothes should not have gender and should not carry gender "implications".

I take the engineer's approach to this and I "Keep It Simple Stupid". Why construct something with a myriad of knobs on it when a good old-fashioned knife-switch will do perfectly well? Put another way, and to quote Montgomery Scott (fictional character of Star Trek fame), "The more complex they make the plumbing the easier it is to stop up the drain." on temporarily disabling a starship.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Brad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Brad »

Pdx- you can label me as insecure in my masculinity. I know myself well enough .I also resent labels. I am what I am. I don't need labels to define me. I have male genitals, identify as a male, and like to wear skirts. That's what I am.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

For me, I resent labels. I don’t mind gender non-conforming to some extent - it’s a plain statement of fact. However… at the same token I wish it weren’t so and it could just be “my style” without any gender/sex overtones. We don’t live in that world, however, and I’m not sure we will ever be there.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

Coder wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:45 pm For me, I resent labels. I don’t mind gender non-conforming to some extent - it’s a plain statement of fact.
We are, by definition, gender-conforming in a very limited sense that we are challenging one specific taboo.
Bodycon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bodycon »

Society seems to be continually fracturing along gender / sexuality / race / religion etc. I don't consider myself be a Sis Male Heterosexual, just a man; but what I want and how I am perceived and labelled, is beyond my control (even if I did wear a label making a statement).

The way I see labels is that everybody these days seems to wants one (a group name associated with how the perceive themselves) and yet no-one wants to be pigeon holed or let anyone else define that group. So we end up with a whole load of definitions that very few people understand. We are now up to LGBTQQIAAP (according to Google) and hopefully without demeaning anybody's identity, or feelings, that is a bit mad. You also now have the ability, due to the number of groups, to be part of more than one; I can imagine the dilemma of having to choose. You would need to wear a double rainbow badge.

As with most things, the Gen Z hipsters (are they a group?) apply this to everything and clothes are part of that trend. It is inevitable that the Atypical clothes wearers become pigeonholed too, however they define themselves individually, and that probably means another few letters on the end of the acronym....