FT article

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Re: FT article

Post by Coder »

rivegauche wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:18 pmI fit in my box - not in anyone else's version of my box, and I have difficulty seeing why anyone else has difficulty with this.
Knowitallism? We are all armchair psychologists (see, there I go making assumptions about other people).

Maybe it comes down stereotyping, and the ease of making assumptions. "Of course you are like <insert stereotype> because popular media/something I read/a movie made common sense to me, and therefore it applies to ALL". Challenging people's assumptions are hard. Heck, it's taken me years to get past some of my own inbuilt assumptions, and I LITERALLY KNOW facts that go against my assumptions yet I fall back into them.

There's also something I've seen other people do. Where they interact with another person, that person leaves. Then in private to they will say, "Well, we really know what's going on there, don't we?", with a knowing wink, nod, or other non-verbal clue. Heck, I've probably done that from time to time.