South China Morning Post article on men’s skirts

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
photoguy207
Member Extraordinaire

South China Morning Post article on men’s skirts

Post by photoguy207 »

Another men in skirts article, came out 10/25/21. It’s great to see these appearing more and more.

https://www.scmp.com/lifestyle/fashion- ... tyles-pete
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Re: South China Morning Post article on men’s skirts

Post by denimini »

photoguy207 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:14 am It’s great to see these appearing more and more.
Yes, it all helps those with unsupporting partners.
The striped, pleated number is OK but seems a bit silly wearing pants underneath.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Yes a good article.
As for the "taboo" aspect, it is breaking down but the process is erosion on a geological scale not an explosive demolition.
The detractors are still out there and vocal too.
The Burberry striped skirt is good design but echoes from another thread are sounding.
Unique or cheap it would not be, cheerful may be moot.
Steve.
TheRod
Distinguished Member

Post by TheRod »

The only comment I saw was inane: 'Shouldn't the title be...."Are you woman enough ...to wear skirts"'.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

denimini wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:08 pm
photoguy207 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:14 am It’s great to see these appearing more and more.
Yes, it all helps those with unsupporting partners.
The striped, pleated number is OK but seems a bit silly wearing pants underneath.
It's going to have to be very commonplace here before my wife will accept it (MIS).

It's as if men can't break free. ok you can wear a skirt, but you still must wear trousers under it. It's very silly.
I my opinion that defeats the entire purpose of wearing the skirt in first place. For me the skirt is solely for comfort, not a statement of fashion, politics, or sexual/gender identity.

Why even wear a skirt if you are wearing trousers or shorts underneath? One could save themselves from all the looks and stigma, and just blend in with all the other dull, boring denim trousered sheep.
I also don't get the use of the one stripped sock, I know it's the designer, but that seems of sorts tacky. And the socks are too long.
I don't care for tights or pantyhose, again it's something on the legs.

( One reason I don't care for the formal kilt look, is the wearing of the long socks)

On a hot day Give me a nice knee length skirt and a pair of short socks, or flip flops, now that is comfort.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Bodycon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bodycon »

The Silly pants underneath are an attachment to "acceptable" clothes and allow the wearer to feel that they are only just rebelling against the norm within boundaries. Once that bridge is crosses, the pants may disappear, but it will be a process rather than a revolution for most.

Given the daily stories of furtive wearers on here, it makes sense for designers to appeal to a bigger, more conservative, market first.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Bodycon wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:10 amGiven the daily stories of furtive wearers on here, it makes sense for designers to appeal to a bigger, more conservative, market first.
Whatever happened to the notions of "to boldly go" and "Dare great things"? Have we abandoned vision, ambition, and drive?
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

They are making the right noises, but it would be a mistake to imagine that male skirts are no longer a niche in terms of fashion. I will believe we have broken free of that taboo when I can walk into a local clothing store and see several styles in the men's section.

There are encouraging signs like this article, but we're not there yet.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Stu wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:53 pm They are making the right noises, but it would be a mistake to imagine that male skirts are no longer a niche in terms of fashion. I will believe we have broken free of that taboo when I can walk into a local clothing store and see several styles in the men's section.

There are encouraging signs like this article, but we're not there yet.
There was a blog post by Levis which featured a “male” wearing a dress, but it was wrapped up in non binary and such commentary. Close, but not quite there.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

Coder wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:27 pm There was a blog post by Levis which featured a “male” wearing a dress, but it was wrapped up in non binary and such commentary. Close, but not quite there.
Yeah, that's where the problem lies. Females - OK. People not sure whether they are male or female - OK. Actual males - Nope! Until we get over the hump that decree that says dress/skirt = feminine, we won't see these garments routinely sold for men/boys or worn by males.
Bodycon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bodycon »

crfriend wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:05 am
Bodycon wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:10 amGiven the daily stories of furtive wearers on here, it makes sense for designers to appeal to a bigger, more conservative, market first.
Whatever happened to the notions of "to boldly go" and "Dare great things"? Have we abandoned vision, ambition, and drive?
How many people on here would you consider match that profile? Daily stories of sneaking out, not allowed by wife, scared to be seen etc. are all a reality of how people are and I am not criticising that. Yes, a few will boldly go, but many others will go slowly and maybe see the pants (trousers) as a way of taking a step, where a 14"red silk mini may be the goal, but not yet. Designers will shock the system, but should always have something that appeals to the more conservative. Pants below is a step and if pants below achieves the goal of getting men in skirts more mainstream, then the designers may have more of a chance of selling the slow steppers a skirt on its on in the future.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Bodycon wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:41 pmHow many people on here would you consider match that profile? Daily stories of sneaking out, not allowed by wife, scared to be seen etc. are all a reality of how people are and I am not criticising that.
There are a few. Personally, I have always felt that if something is worth doing it's worth doing with verve and gusto. The old adage of, "No balls no blue chips." sometimes holds. Also, one must break eggs if one is going to make an omelette.

I understand the above is not for all, but the more that embraced the philosophy I suspect the faster things would happen.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Bodycon, it's not that I don't fit the profile - I do. I relish pushing boundaries and belong to the "someone once called me normal and I was never so insulted in all my life" club. But defying wifely resistance to me wearing a skirt outside has a HUGE financial implication for me. If I were to push too far, too quickly then she could push the D word and that could cost me not just a few shekels but hundreds of thousands of pounds and, as important as skirts are to me, they are not THAT important. I would rather spend the rest of my life in my currently stable equilibrium and the companionship of my wife in the relative luxury of a 4-bed detached house owned outright and financial security than alone in a rented bedsit and financial insecurity and my skirts full time.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Bodycon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bodycon »

Sinned wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:12 pm Bodycon, it's not that I don't fit the profile - I do. I relish pushing boundaries and belong to the "someone once called me normal and I was never so insulted in all my life" club. But defying wifely resistance to me wearing a skirt outside has a HUGE financial implication for me. If I were to push too far, too quickly then she could push the D word and that could cost me not just a few shekels but hundreds of thousands of pounds and, as important as skirts are to me, they are not THAT important. I would rather spend the rest of my life in my currently stable equilibrium and the companionship of my wife in the relative luxury of a 4-bed detached house owned outright and financial security than alone in a rented bedsit and financial insecurity and my skirts full time.
Does your post not prove that you don't fit the profile? Sorry......

You want to be the trailblazer, pushing the boundaries of skirt wearing, but cannot for personal reasons, all of which are completely legitimate and understandable. The trailblazer would be the sad one in the bedsit having burned all their bridges in hedonistic pursuit of the ultimate hemline.

So, I still contend that we limit ourselves based on circumstance and that a pants (American) below skirt approach may be one way of making skirts more generally acceptable, which can only be a good thing.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

In many respects Sinned and I have very similar domestic situations.
However, there is one major difference. My wife has effectively blanked the problem and I have gone my own way.
Simple economics mean two lives one roof.
Does that make me a trailblazer and as for pushing boundaries, I don't know?
I was out in Edinburgh yesterday and in several clothes shops. I was looking for a new dress and talked to several sales assistants.
There was never any ambiguity that it was for me and they were all very helpful. No sale but is that progress?
Travelling by rail on a busy train in a very obvious skirt garnered some looks but no comments good or bad.
Would trousers under the skirt got less attention, perhaps?
Would I have been more at ease, no chance!
Best part of the day was being served coffee by a girl with a gorgeous Dublin accent.
Steve,