This is strange - or not?

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

This is strange - or not?

Post by Coder »

This is kind of odd/funny. I can't get to the original article as it's behind a paywall:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/pose ... -k59wszd5p

The comments section in the Daily Mail (link below) was... not that bad for once. I thought this was the best comment of them all:
Bowie beat you to it 50 years ago pal. Study your history.

These summarize the article, not sure how out of context they take it:

https://metro.co.uk/2021/10/17/billy-po ... -15438807/

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity- ... s-25235136

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/a ... shion.html

I'm not saying this is a groundbreaking article... celebrities often have little spats with one another over some perceived injustice - in this case it seems petty and unremarkable. I just found it interesting since the topic was related to men wearing skirts.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Re: This is strange - or not?

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Coder
Yeah, a bit of celebitching just about sums it up.
In the 70s, many male performers portrayed a degree of what we now call gender fluidity.
That really went with the on stage performance but I doubt it extended to street wear.
I don't follow modern pop culture much but from reading here some guys wear skirts etc on stage.
Off stage wear would be the real telling factor for me.
I have no idea about Mr Styles real choices in either setting, just the fallout from the article in Vogue.
Going back to my youth, it was the girls who tried to emulate Bowie etc the most. Especially the hairstyles.
Steve.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

STEVIE wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:38 am Yeah, a bit of celebitching just about sums it up.
:lol:
STEVIE wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:38 am Off stage wear would be the real telling factor for me.
I have no idea about Mr Styles real choices in either setting, just the fallout from the article in Vogue.
Yeah, and I don't care enough to look this up on Google either. Likely would be wearing outfits either too expensive to afford or ones that are ridiculous (sometimes both). But if someone wants to look this one up?
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Coder wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:42 am But if someone wants to look this one up?
Nah, I will pass on that pleasure.
Tis' about time I was making a move and choosing the rig for work today.
Not sure about the skirt yet but boots will be included. The rain sounds rather persistent this morning.
However, porridge is first priority.
Nice to chat Coder.
Steve.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I chased some links on the articles posted and happened upon Candice Owens's quotes

The East knows this. In the west, the steady feminization of our men at the same time that Marxism is being taught to our children is not a coincidence. It is an outright attack. Bring back manly men.’

I find it very ironic, that the supposed "hallmark of dystopian Marxism", especially among those who might hold such opinions as Candice may be Orwells's 1984, whereas the story [1984] has everybody basically looking the same with no freedom of expression whatsoever.

I often vex over how such people can claim to stand for "freedom" whilst at the same time work to restrict the rights of others.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

I think pioneers in any field deserve a bit of credit. I remember Bowie's dress. People I the US went ballistic about it and I think he had to change the album cover. He was not dressed as a woman - he was a guy in a dress. He might not have been the first to do this, though. Jagger wore a dress at an open air concert in London that almost certainly predates this. I hesitate to bring up the toxic name of Jimmy Saville, but he presented an episode of Top of the Pops in a min-skirt. We also had a more recent episode of Top of the Pops with Robbie Williams in a gold dress. I think there is also a video of Michael Jackson wearing a short gold skater skirt over trousers.
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

Coder wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:55 am This is kind of odd/funny. I can't get to the original article as it's behind a paywall:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/pose ... -k59wszd5p
Doubly behind a pay wall -- I've just leafed all through Saturday's edition, including supplements, and I entirely failed to find the piece. The web link leads to a long article with several headache-inducingly lurid colour photos, but it didn't seem to have much to say to the ordinary male skirt wearer. I hadn't previously heard of the bloke, and I'm not much wiser now.