LA Times article on men’s skirts

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
photoguy207
Member Extraordinaire

LA Times article on men’s skirts

Post by photoguy207 »

Found this today, was just published.

https://www.latimes.com/lifestyle/image ... ?_amp=true
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: LA Times article on men’s skirts

Post by crfriend »

That's actually a really good read. The writer definitely has his head screwed on straight.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

I live that he managed to avoid all the cliches we’ve been served up for so long. He just told us how he felt wearing a skirt. And how to overcome the fear. I know he’s not quite an ordinary guy - I’m guessing that writing for the LA Times is a fairly significant milestone - but his business is to show off his linguistic skills not his fashion sense. In that respect he’s nearer to the members of the cafe than the celebrities we often see in the papers.

Let’s hope a few more journos and other professional males adopt the same stance. That might move MIS diwn the social ladder.

Steven
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

greenboots wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:37 pm I live that he managed to avoid all the cliches we’ve been served up for so long. He just told us how he felt wearing a skirt. And how to overcome the fear. I know he’s not quite an ordinary guy - I’m guessing that writing for the LA Times is a fairly significant milestone - but his business is to show off his linguistic skills not his fashion sense. In that respect he’s nearer to the members of the cafe than the celebrities we often see in the papers.

Let’s hope a few more journos and other professional males adopt the same stance. That might move MIS diwn the social ladder.

Steven
I'm a journalist but I'm not sure me wearing a skirt has ever influenced anyone. :)
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I would agree with the author, for the average Western male donning a skirt is a novelty. Trying on a garment that is fundamentally different from the usual male garb, with distinctly different physical sensations.
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

Grok wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:44 pm I would agree with the author, for the average Western male donning a skirt is a novelty. Trying on a garment that is fundamentally different from the usual male garb, with distinctly different physical sensations.
Ah, but what sensations! 😁👗
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

This, completely unrelated to the skirt subject at hand, made me spit out my morning tea in hilarity:
“The brushwork here is ... present,”
Reminds me of Truman Capote's "That's not writing, that's typing" or Dorothy Parker's "... the gamut of emotions from A to B".

Getting back to the primary topic, I appreciate that he avoids the breathless "this is our moment in the sun!" enthusiasm and honestly reflects on the barriers that will likely prevent men's skirts from going mainstream in the foreseeable future. One can only hope his encouragement to hesitant readers will spur them to follow his lead. Baby steps, brothers. Baby steps.

Interesting socks, too. I wonder if they're a normal part of his wardrobe (suggesting a wee bit of "gender nonconformity") or if he chose them specifically for the humour value in the article.
Ralph!
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Great article, gives me confidence there are journalists out there who are able to reflect on this subject in a practical way, now we just need more of them :D
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Ralph wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:07 pmReminds me of Truman Capote's "That's not writing, that's typing" or Dorothy Parker's "... the gamut of emotions from A to B".
"A to B." -- "Aardvark to Byzantine." There's plenty of room in there for expression. 'Tis a good crack, though.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

As for the word "beautiful", it can apply to clothing, of course. But we generally see beautiful clothing only on women.

But skirts give men a chance to try on garments that are elegant, far more so than any trousers. :!:
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Grok wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:18 pmAs for the word "beautiful", it can apply to clothing, of course. But we generally see beautiful clothing only on women.
And increasingly less frequently!
But skirts give men a chance to try on garments that are elegant, far more so than any trousers. :!:
Hear, hear!

The first time I was called "beautiful" by a relative stranger, I was both taken slightly aback and gratified at the same time. Over time, assorted component parts had the moniker applied to them, primarily my hair (now a sad shadow of what it once was) and, of all things, my hands -- by my late ex- who I caught studying them closely one time on a drive, and eventually commented, "You have the most beautiful hands!" -- which is odd as I've been a working-man all my life and those hands have experienced all sorts of insults.

In any event, for those of you who are fortunate enough to be called out as "beautiful" (in a world of abject dreck), embrace it and stand tall. For it is indeed a splendid term -- and we are worthy of it.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Carl, talking of hands, my wife seems to think that I have perfect feet. She thinks the arches are perfect. I sometimes feel a bit embarrassed. To me they are just .... feet.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I was trying to think of a word..."peacock" is the word.... The bird puts on a display using feathers, people do something similar with clothing.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Grok wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:03 am I was trying to think of a word..."peacock" is the word.... The bird puts on a display using feathers, people do something similar with clothing.
Hi Grok
More specifically it is the males of the avian species who put on the brightest displays.
Perhaps a lesson for us homo sapiens there.
We have to learn to play the "peacock" again because we are indoctrinated into the drab from the moment we depart the womb.
The approaching winter months are a good excuse if one is needed.
Apart from the festivities just brighten up the dull dark days, spread the joy.
Ye Gods, right now we need as much of that as we cant get.
Steve.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

STEVIE wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:52 amMore specifically it is the males of the avian species who put on the brightest displays.
Perhaps a lesson for us homo sapiens there.
Indeed, it is the human male which stands out from virtually all other species for his drabness. 'Tis a pity, really.