Skirts on the F1 Grid?

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Skirts on the F1 Grid?

Post by Sinned »

Coder, please don't swear - the words Mini and automatic should not occur anywhere near each other. Minis should always come with a 4-speed manual gearbox. I know Americans are fiond of the automatic gearbox but they have always had rather dubious use over here. More of a fringe accessory.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
jamodu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamodu »

I’ve owned a 1970, and then 1978, Mini Clubman - then a 1986 Mini Chelsea.

Long before the M40 materialised, I drove my first Mini in deep Snow on the A5 between London and West Midlands. It drove like a Tank. I certainly wouldn’t have considered tackling the same journey today.

These days, I prefer wearing a Mini rather than driving a Mini.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Sinned wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:33 am Coder, please don't swear - the words Mini and automatic should not occur anywhere near each other. Minis should always come with a 4-speed manual gearbox. I know Americans are fiond of the automatic gearbox but they have always had rather dubious use over here. More of a fringe accessory.
Back in the distant mists of time, when I was a school kid, probably 1974-ish, my Dad borrowed a mini to run us to school in Lockerbie (Yes that one). That there mini, which he borrowed a few times, was an automatic. It was the first automatic I had ever been in. I remember it being odd, it seemed to change gears at a certain revs, always the same, no matter how much throttle my Dad was giving it, not very efficient, I also think it was a 4 speed but it was so long ago I could have just made up some memories to fill in gaps! Looking back into my fading memories I would say it didn't have a torque converter, no "slip". But even back then, there was such a thing as an automatic mini.
And now- a quick dig into Wikipedia to see what that says about the mini.

[Edit]
Wow, my memory as a schoolkid who didn't drive and no real understanding of why gears were necessary, were right on all counts- a 4 speed auto box that used clutches, used in the mini amongst other BMC cars.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Bodycon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bodycon »

My automatic Mayfair was a three speed, it would kick down sometimes on its own and had to have the cables adjusted.

Rose tinted specs says it was a great wee car, the reality is somewhat different, however reality can be overrated.

Still got the Haynes manual for it too.

To comment on Lewis and his attire, I think he looks stupid; then again, I'm not long back from walking up to a local windfarm in a miniskirt, so who am I to judge. :lol:
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Automatics tended to have 3 gears - 4 was rare especially in sub 1300cc engines. Minis started off with 848cc units with the biggest being 1275cc.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Sinned wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:57 pmAutomatics tended to have 3 gears - 4 was rare especially in sub 1300cc engines. Minis started off with 848cc units with the biggest being 1275cc.
That dovetails nicely with my recollections of what was going on in the US. For years I had a 1971 Plymouth Duster with a 225 cu/in mill that was coupled to a three-speed autobox, as was a 1982 Plymouth with a 2.mumble Litre mill. The first 4-speed autobox I tangled with was on my 1990 minivan with a 3L 6-bore and which could do (and did, thanks to the driver) insane things on the roads. Most everything else was manuals (Yes, I can drive a stick), with the exception of my 1968 convertible which had a mid-sized V8 (a 318 cu/in?) and a 3-speed autobox, but I drove that so gently that I never knew I had a busted motor-mount until one time I needed a burst of speed and the engine lifted enough from the compartment to put a outward-facing dent in the bonnet.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Ah, the manual/automatic schism! My first car was a 1953 DeSoto with what was sometimes called a manual automatic or Tip Toe Shift, or....

All part of the evolution from manual to auto -- fun to recall; as we also look at the transitions in heavy trucks from exclusively manual to almost exclusively auto now -- and moving toward constant velocity trannies with EV's. Bikes with Gates belt drives, and hidden shaft drives, and hub motors....the fun never ends!

For a look at what was once the heyday of the semi-automatic era:

https://www.allpar.com/threads/the-chry ... ve.229898/
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Over here 5-speed seems to be the norm. 6-speed are coming in on higher end and performance cars but automatics are still not usual. I have only driven autos a couple of times.
john62
Member Extraordinaire

Post by john62 »

Here in Oz for the everyday car manuals are almost extinct in the new car market.

John
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

I still haven't got used to synchromesh on bottom gear and often double-declutch when changing down.  That's what comes of driving a Standard Vanguard for over 20 years.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Try approaching a roundabout going downhill in traffic while driving a 1928 Alvis 1250. It requires planning and concentration like a Lunar landing. Boy, don't you learn to double de-clutch down through the gears, and how!. The guy in front has servo brakes and it pays to regard his boot as being full of Atomic fallout!
I simply love automatics. My current plush large SwedeSteed has more than enough auto ratios and you have to count carefully to guesstimate which ratio is currently in use. It doesn't matter a toss anyway. Suffice it to say she always returns better than 50 MPG (Imperial) and uses no oil. Between that and the 'cruise' she almost drives herself, although the odd bit of steering input still helps!

Advantage no 1/: I can hold my '99' icecream cone in one hand all the way home from the shop while I drive. :D

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Bodycon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bodycon »

I have pretty much driven automatics for the last 20 years.

I saw the light commuting into Glasgow on the great M8 carpark, which can crawl for ten miles morning and night.

I now get the train in, or go by motorcycle in the summer, but still drive an auto (Insignia Tourer) as I can't see any reason to go back to a manual.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

I have a family member who works in a manual transmission engineering department for an automaker, and they believe manual's days are numbered.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

by Kirbstone » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:44 pm

Between that and the 'cruise' she almost drives herself, although the odd bit of steering input still helps!

Advantage no 1/: I can hold my '99' icecream cone in one hand all the way home from the shop while I drive. :D
Tom; What I want to know, is how can you make the 99 flake and contents last that long? Beware, it may be afflicted with a guar gum and carrageenan surplus!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

FG,

It's not so hot here as in CR. Therefore the ambient temp won't melt the '99' so fast. Also if it is reasonably warm I stick the car's aircon on 'Low', which can reduce the cabin temp to 14 deg C. Brrrrh!
I little shop on my way home from work sells generous tall '99's and I have just five miles to go, so the ice cream lasts almost all the way. :D

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !