Skirts on the F1 Grid?

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Bodycon
Member Extraordinaire

Skirts on the F1 Grid?

Post by Bodycon »

Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Skirts on the F1 Grid?

Post by Ray »

Cool!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

I saw this earlier and it was described as a "kilt", so wrong on so many levels.
Skirt is a more accurate one by a very narrow margin.
Other adjectives were funky, quirky and now we have "cool".
The overall effect is spoilt by including trousers in the outfit and that is not cool or brave in my eyes.
On the upside if he encourages experimentation, go Hamilton!
Steve
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

I wasn't able to find it on the Burberry site, but they do have men in dresses and also kilts like this one: https://uk.burberry.com/leather-trim-ch ... -p80428171] From the front I think it looks quite skirt like as they have put the buckles so far back. The rear is pleated and more traditionally kilt like. Without seeing the waist band of Hamilton's kilt, I wouldn't like to argue if it's a kilt or a skirt. If you were to ask a purist (I'm sure we have a few ;-) ) I'd hazard a guess that many kilts would not be seen as kilts. So long as the media is picking it up and not being negative then that's all that matters IMO. It will hopefully lead to more diverse clothing choices.

As someone who likes to wear what I like, I am not in the slightest bit bothered if someone wears trousers, harem pants, he whatever under their skirt, kilt or dress. As for daring, well anything away from the normal and into territory that could attract negative comments I think could be considered as daring, at least to some degree.
howardfh
Member Extraordinaire

Post by howardfh »

Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

F1 is a key on my computer, but what is the grid?
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Jim wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:03 pmF1 is a key on my computer, but what is the grid?
F1 = Formula One - Auto-racing.
Grid = events in a given area or time frame.
The Indianapolis 500, primarily is F1 cars.

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

UA, the cars used in the Indy 500 are only superficially similar to F1 cars in that they have 4 wheels, an engine, a chassis and a body. If you look at them side by side they are different and are completely different formulas. The grid is the starting area for the race, in front of the grandstand with marks on the road surface for each car's starting position.

As to Hamilton's "skirt" I like the colours but it's far too long.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Hi Dennis :D

Thanks for your 'explanation' of 'Grid', it clears up a few misconceptions.
I notice there are different styles of auto-racing, which have terms unique
to each style/type of race.

The Indy 500 has starting positions but the racers start in moving cars,
not from a fixed position. That's why there is a 'Pace Car' leading the
pack prior to the start of the race.

What ever type of 'Racing' you do or enjoy, HAVE FUN :!: :D

(But lose the long pants under the skirt ;) )

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Ah, Bring back the old-fashioned Le Mans start, when the drivers lined up and on a given signal sprinted across the race track, climbed into their cars, started them up and sped away. Unthinkable nowadays with all the safety regs. and gear the drivers have to wear, fireproofing &c.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Kirbstone wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:20 pmAh, Bring back the old-fashioned Le Mans start [..]
Yes, the Le Mans start. I miss those. I was lucky enough to see a few of those on the telly as a youth, and the notion of the long-duration day/night race -=- in any sort of weather -- was astonishing compared to what was going on in the US at the time. The cars also tended to be things of beauty -- and occasionally curiosity. What was the race-car that had two front axles? I clearly recall that from my misspent youth but cannot call up the details or even the name of it now.

Over here, it's pretty much either Indy cars or NASCAR. I vastly prefer the winding track geometries in use in the European circuits to the eternal left-turns on the ovals of NASCAR.

Fun for me? Give me an open-top roadster and a winding back country road. Heaven.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

a Tyrell P34 from 1976. By 1978 they had been outlawed by changes to the F.1 rules. These rules are so frequently changed that designers have difficulty keeping up with them and disqualifications through minutiae are common.

LeMans cars in contrast are Sports cars and have two seats. They may share a lot of components, but are very different from F.1 cars.

In my youth (early forties) I drove our 1928 Alvis 1250 four-seat soft top tourer from Hampshire to Le Mans and spent the time beside the Mulsanne Straight right where the cars began braking for the bend at the end. They were doing some 230MPH+ at that point and their exhausts glowed cherry red....very dramatic through the (very noisy) night.
I see that shortly after that they introduced new kinks in the track to slow the cars down.....Shame! On our northwards drive home the weather changed and our soft top and side screens were no protection from a Westerly gale & rain. MOH got very wet in the passenger seat (right hand drive of course). She ended up sitting in the back behind me on the right hand side. Memories.

Tom
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Those were the days of true innovation. Lotus introduced a turbine-driven 56B car. Extremely difficult to drive because of the turbine lag. Normal acceleration and braking points just didn't apply. Although nominally competitive its thirsty nature meant larger fuel tanks for full race distance and so it lost out overall. Not surprised when it was banned. It was at this time that Lotus introduced the "wedge" body styling to cut down air resistance.

Le Mans was an endurance event and not just for the drivers. My father and I went there in about 1967 or 68 and I remember the weather being so changeable. We took plenty of sarnies and drinks with us but braving the winds and showers was energy-sapping. Much as we enjoyed the racing, to be frank keeping up with who was winning and who'd crashed out was a bit hit-and-miss. And the spectacle of cars going by at 200+ mph meant that you really didn't see much of the car for very long. Blink and you missed it. The idea of attendance didn't really match the experience. It was not something that we repeated. We made do with visits to more home circuits, Brands Hatch, Oulton Park, Silverstone among others and, as frequently as possible, our local Croft track.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Memories again.
In 1968 I picked up this nubile native lass at a tribal gathering (party) at a settlement (Hampton) on the North bank of the Great River (Thames) and for our very first date I took her to Brands, to the then 'BOAC 500' sports car race.
There were the usual gaggle of Porches & Ferraris screaming past, but amongst them was a (Chevvy?) Chaparral, a big American brute sporting serious Cubic Inches and just a low V8 bumble as it sped past. It outran the lot of them and took the chequered flag.

My Gf. & I agreed then and there that motor racing was far too noisy and we bought a sailing boat & plonked it on the R. Hamble, near Portsmouth. Quiet!

Little did I think then that this native lass was to become the Gt. grandmother of my Great Grandchildren and we still sail that same 60-yr-old boat in Kerry.

Tom
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Kirbstone wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:31 ama Tyrell P34 from 1976. By 1978 they had been outlawed by changes to the F.1 rules. These rules are so frequently changed that designers have difficulty keeping up with them and disqualifications through minutiae are common.
Yep. That's what I remember. The memory is a bit hazy and some of the details were lost, e.g. the small front wheels, but that's because by 1976 I was already deeply into computers and cars were becoming less prominent in my mind.

Thank you for the refresher!
LeMans cars in contrast are Sports cars and have two seats. They may share a lot of components, but are very different from F.1 cars.
Extremely different, and I prefer the looks of the 1960s and '70s LeMans cars to the F-1s.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!