Highsnobiety: Men's Skirts Were the Real MVP at NYFW

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Highsnobiety: Men's Skirts Were the Real MVP at NYFW

Post by Coder »

https://www.highsnobiety.com/p/russell- ... -mvp-nyfw/
Skirt's for men are here to stay. During New York Fashion Week, Russell Westbrook and a few other leading men made a strong argument for the emerging (but not so new) menswear staple.
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Highsnobiety: Men's Skirts Were the Real MVP at NYFW

Post by phathack »

Unlike past runway showing these skirts for men look reasonable but will Mainstreet buy them.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

A positive article, but I winced at the first word. Skirt’s? What’s with the wholly unnecessary apostrophe?

Tut tut.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Ray wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:01 am A positive article, but I winced at the first word. Skirt’s? What’s with the wholly unnecessary apostrophe?

Tut tut.
Yes. They need to hire a literate editor.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Maybe the guys name is "Skirt".

I shouldn't say anything... I've been known to plant an apostrophe in the wrong place from time to time...

Then again I'm a layman and not a professional writer so...

I have noticed a lot of typographical errors and grammar issues on respected news outlets lately though.

Word crimes I tells ya!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

moonshadow wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:10 pm Word crimes I tells ya!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gv0H-vPoDc

(couldn't resist)
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:10 pmWord crimes I tells ya!
In this vein, I cannot recommend Lynne Truss' marvellous book Eats, Shoots and Leaves highly enough. It's irreverent, funny, and astonishingly informative -- and it will challenge one to become a better writer.

If only had some of the vaunted "greats" read it, the world of literature might be a better place.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I notice a distinct lack of grammar, missing words and spelling on line. I wince and get over the fact that I can't do anything about it. What makes it more painful is that the authors are supposed to be professionals.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Sinned wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:03 pmI notice a distinct lack of grammar, missing words and spelling on line. I wince and get over the fact that I can't do anything about it. What makes it more painful is that the authors are supposed to be professionals.
Those are "professionals" in name only. I wonder how many of them are "chatbots" posing as human authors (I suspect we have a couple here at Skirt Cafe).
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

I have the benefit of a good education but I am aware that not everyone has. They are as entitled to be here as anyone else so I never criticise. Professional writers on the other hand, should know better and if they get it wrong it is open season. Superfluous apostrophes are an abomination.

I heard of a grocer who had a "grocer's apostrophe" on his pavement advertising. An example of this would be "Banana's 30p/lb". When the journalist telling the story went into the shop the grocer said he was quite happy with his sign, as most of the people who came in to inform him gleefully of his mistake bought stuff.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

rivegauche wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:31 pmI heard of a grocer who had a "grocer's apostrophe" on his pavement advertising.
That anecdote may well have appeared in Lynn Truss' book as it sounds very familiar.

I'm also drawn to a sign that hard adjacent to Massachusetts Route 9 West was a sign in the 2000s proclaiming, "Pant's Shortened $5.00" -- and it sat there that way for years until the message finally got through to the proprietor that it was simply plain flat wrong. Or my gripe to the proprietoress at my local that "Guiness" was a misspelling of one of my favourite beers. That took months to get corrected. (It was, eventually.)