Lifestyle Asia: Who says dresses are just for women?

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Lifestyle Asia: Who says dresses are just for women?

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Sinned wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:47 pm What gets me is that the change, at the outset, could be done for a fantastically minimal outlay. A minor change in labelling from say, size 16 to 36" waist, allocation of a rack or two in the men's section and a sign or two. The production lines are all there, distribution is all there and retail is all there. The potential for an increase in sales and revenue is there. So what is there to stop them? I really wonder.

Men's own inhibitions.

That said, The Thom Browne Spring Summer 2022 show was definitely unisex. A little on the odd side, but MUCH less so than the usual Thom Browne events.

In addition, the AZ Factory site also shows both men and women modeling their dresses. The AZ is for Alber Elraz who died this April. Evidently, he was well-loved in the fashion world for being an all around good guy. One of his guiding principles was "If it can't be worn, it's not fashion!" (if only more fashion designers took that to heart!). As part of that ethos all of his dresses came with the Elraz zipper; that is, a zipper with a pull chain so any one could zip themselves up. It looks like once you're all zipped up you can unhook it top and bottom.

In addition, I recently saw Mark in yet another article along with a couple other fashion pioneers so men wearing skirts and dresses is at least acceptable. And while I have seen exactly the arc that Ralph has, this time it may be real. Not that skirt wearing will become a staple for all or even most men, but who needs that? Just so long as you're treated well and as nothing so far out of the ordinary that people are walking on eggshells around you, what do you care what anyone else is doing?

It's clear, at this point it's mostly one's own inhibitions (Recognizing that in some regions and situations those inhibitions are well-founded and need to be heeded.) standing in the way of men wearing skirts in public.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Pdxfashionpioneer wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:41 am In addition, I recently saw Mark in yet another article along with a couple other fashion pioneers so men wearing skirts and dresses is at least acceptable. And while I have seen exactly the arc that Ralph has, this time it may be real. Not that skirt wearing will become a staple for all or even most men, but who needs that? Just so long as you're treated well and as nothing so far out of the ordinary that people are walking on eggshells around you, what do you care what anyone else is doing?

It's clear, at this point it's mostly one's own inhibitions (Recognizing that in some regions and situations those inhibitions are well-founded and need to be heeded.) standing in the way of men wearing skirts in public.
That's the crux of it for me - I don't really care whether every guy is wearing a skirt, I just care that people treat me as normally as possible. I loathe the day where someone I work with is too afraid to talk with me because they might offend me, or because I'm differently dressed - this fear has been one of my own inhibitions to wearing what I want where and when I want.

Also - if the article hasn't been posted here, could you?
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Coder wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:30 am I loathe the day where someone I work with is too afraid to talk with me because they might offend me, or because I'm differently dressed -
A justifiable concern, it has happened to me many times already.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Coder asked:
if the article hasn't been posted here, could you?

I'd love to oblige you, but I can't. It was just a mention and a photo of Mark in an item in my newsfeed so it's long gone.

It was a positive mention and the main point is; we're now accepted for who we are. So when it comes to the Million $ Question can I/should I/ may I go out in public in my skirt? The answer is YESSS!!! so Just Do It!
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Two reasons for this posting.
I did say that a picture of the dress I had on for the Scottish meet would be forthcoming and this is it.
The accompaniments are somewhat different out of due regard to the climate here.
Jacket, tights and boots as opposed to bare legs, socks and trainers.
More relevant to the thread, the dress is remarkably similar and I am assuredly out there and
demonstrating my answer to the original question.
Steve.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Was just googling and came across this related Vogue article, with quite a few photos of the yellow dress in action:

https://www.vogue.com/article/hesher-wo ... ost-malone

I can’t say it’s changed my mind about it, but figured I’d add it to the thread.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I still go with my original comment, like the style of dress but don't like the colour. That aside it doesn't look out of place.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.