Jet Blue flight attendants uniform

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 546
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:33 pm

Jet Blue flight attendants uniform

Post by new2skirts »

https://floridianpress.com/2021/07/jet- ... nts-image/

The guy looks fairly smart! 8) Opinions on Twitter seem to be more in favour of the guy (I don't like the fussy orange
material at the front though)
E6X2LmhXIAUl6Jc.jpeg.jpg
Though I would prefer flat shoes in such a role :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
Coder
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 862
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:40 am

Re: Jet Blue flight attendants uniform

Post by Coder »

First I just want to say I think it's good to collect these links even if... the headline is terrible, as is the linked twitter thread... and article comments. I don't even know if I should give it the honor of being called an article - the author didn't try to track down and interview the individual they are scorning (at least news agencies take the time to destroy a person by name) - I wouldn't call them a journalist, that's for sure. I mean, if you are going to start labeling people "be a man" and face them directly. Is it that hard to interview them?

I really shouldn't have read through the Twitter replies or comments - it brings me back to pre-covid times when I would read social media more frequently than recommended by a physician (they recommend only using social media once a year to remind yourself why you don't read social media).

Totally ignoring the comments on the article, the Twitter responses could be lumped into three different categories:

1) Eww, don't let this guy have his freedom to wear what he wants (these are the same people who want their own personal freedoms, for say, gun rights (which I'm for, BTW), but need to dictate to us what to wear because it offends them).

2) As long as he doesn't think a dress will magically make him a woman, go for it!

3) Who cares?

#2 come from what I would assume are feminists (first wave?) and some conservatives, and #3 everyone else.
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 486
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:47 am
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Jet Blue flight attendants uniform

Post by FranTastic444 »

Never got past the original link. It is clear to see that the Floridian website is politically right-leaning and this is just the sort of story to help them in their culture war.
User avatar
Jim
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 1219
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:39 am
Location: Northern Illinois, USA

Re: Jet Blue flight attendants uniform

Post by Jim »

It's was easy to add a supportive comment. I did. Let's see some more.
User avatar
Stu
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 1009
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2003 8:25 am
Location: North Lincolnshire, UK

Re: Jet Blue flight attendants uniform

Post by Stu »

It should be pointed out that this is a story of a man who is wearing the entire uniform of the opposite sex in order to present as or like women; he is not doing it to extend the sartorial choices straight, cis-gendered men have. In so doing, he is perpetuating the association of skirt= female, while we (so far as I know) eschew that association and believe that skirt = anyone (just like trousers or sweaters or socks can be worn by anyone).

Consequently, I am not convinced we should be drawing any encouragement from this story.
Stevej180
Active Member
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:24 pm
Location: Norfolk, UK

Re: Jet Blue flight attendants uniform

Post by Stevej180 »

Jim wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:05 am
It's was easy to add a supportive comment. I did. Let's see some more.
Done. I had a bit of fun with it :-)
Coder
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 862
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:40 am

Re: Jet Blue flight attendants uniform

Post by Coder »

Stu wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:49 am
It should be pointed out that this is a story of a man who is wearing the entire uniform of the opposite sex in order to present as or like women; he is not doing it to extend the sartorial choices straight, cis-gendered men have. In so doing, he is perpetuating the association of skirt= female, while we (so far as I know) eschew that association and believe that skirt = anyone (just like trousers or sweaters or socks can be worn by anyone).

Consequently, I am not convinced we should be drawing any encouragement from this story.
I agree with you to a point. Except there are no skirt options for a man in their uniform selection - this may be his only option. Additionally, without hearing from him we don’t know the why - so I’m hesitant to make assumptions because I wouldn’t want the same to be made of me. I don’t even like the fact I can’t assume “gender” but I’m gonna assume they are a he.

I also took a look at their uniforms - it appears women can dress exactly like the men, except they appear to wear a neckerchief instead of a tie (no vest either? Vest may be optional). There being no way to wear a tie with a dress, not sure what the options would be. As for shoes… probably could have worn the men’s option, but are they allowed to mix and match like that?
User avatar
denimini
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 2562
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:50 am
Location: Outback Australia

Re: Jet Blue flight attendants uniform

Post by denimini »

Stu wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:49 am
It should be pointed out that this is a story of a man who is wearing the entire uniform of the opposite sex in order to present as or like women; he is not doing it to extend the sartorial choices straight, cis-gendered men have. In so doing, he is perpetuating the association of skirt= female, while we (so far as I know) eschew that association and believe that skirt = anyone (just like trousers or sweaters or socks can be worn by anyone).

Consequently, I am not convinced we should be drawing any encouragement from this story.
I think the facial hair saves the day in that regard. I don't think he is presenting as or like a woman ......... or even a bearded woman.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
User avatar
Jim
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 1219
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:39 am
Location: Northern Illinois, USA

Re: Jet Blue flight attendants uniform

Post by Jim »

Stevej180 wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:01 am
Jim wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:05 am
It's was easy to add a supportive comment. I did. Let's see some more.
Done. I had a bit of fun with it :-)
Looks good. I upvoted it. Anyone here can upvote the positive comments.
User avatar
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 6092
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:58 am
Contact:

Re: Jet Blue flight attendants uniform

Post by moonshadow »

I bet he gets a few "what tha f----s" from local yokels... :lol:

Well... you know of you're not being cussed at or otherwise criticized by jerks and keyboard warriors, then you're not living your life right...! :wink:
-Moon Shadow
User avatar
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 6092
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:58 am
Contact:

Re: Jet Blue flight attendants uniform

Post by moonshadow »

Coder wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:39 pm
1) Eww, don't let this guy have his freedom to wear what he wants (these are the same people who want their own personal freedoms, for say, gun rights (which I'm for, BTW), but need to dictate to us what to wear because it offends them).

2) As long as he doesn't think a dress will magically make him a woman, go for it!
Most of the Twitter comments seem to be almost equally divided between one and two.

I'm paying particular attention to number two. It's interesting to see, and I believe this likely represents the sentiment of a good percentage of the population, regardless of their stand on LGBTQ.

Now I personally don't have a big desire to wear "feminine clothes" at work. I suppose I could ask for a women's uniform, but it would basically look exactly the same, maybe the buttons on the other side... so what's the point?

But in fairness, even if I had an office job, I'd probably just dress like a normal guy. For me, work time is slave time. It's something I do because I have to, not because I want to.

It doesn't matter if my boss "lets me" wear a skirt to work... for I am only allowed to with his blessing. That's not a right, it's a privilege, and privilege can be revolked. Rights can not.

Even if they let me wear a skirt to work, I still bear the yoke of that job upon my shoulders, I'm still not free until quitting time rolls around.

That's why it's called "free time". :wink:

But you know what? If I have an itch on my leg, I raise the pant leg to scratch it, and I really don't care of someone sees my shaved leg. It's my damned leg after all! 8)
-Moon Shadow
User avatar
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 5228
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:28 pm
Location: York, England

Re: Jet Blue flight attendants uniform

Post by Sinned »

I added a positive comment.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 862
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:40 am

Re: Jet Blue flight attendants uniform

Post by Coder »

moonshadow wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:31 pm
Now I personally don't have a big desire to wear "feminine clothes" at work. I suppose I could ask for a women's uniform, but it would basically look exactly the same, maybe the buttons on the other side... so what's the point?

But in fairness, even if I had an office job, I'd probably just dress like a normal guy. For me, work time is slave time. It's something I do because I have to, not because I want to.

It doesn't matter if my boss "lets me" wear a skirt to work... for I am only allowed to with his blessing. That's not a right, it's a privilege, and privilege can be revolked. Rights can not.

Even if they let me wear a skirt to work, I still bear the yoke of that job upon my shoulders, I'm still not free until quitting time rolls around.
This is a tough one for me - I’m only inviting questions and gossip when I consider going to work in a skirt. I think if I worked a uniformed job I would choose the men’s option for multiple reasons, either the women’s would be designed to accentuate their form, kind of like the flight attendants, or as you say the only difference would be which side it buttons on. Although jobs at a place like Target, if they offered a khaki skirt option I might go for it if the job activities fit.

However… in a free form office job where you see people dressed how they would like (one assumes), it gets to feel a bit restrictive because, well, you can’t express yourself the way you want, at least that’s been my feeling all these years. Honestly I don’t know the why for me but I’ve settled on “because I want to” and that’s mostly good enough.
User avatar
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 6092
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:58 am
Contact:

Re: Jet Blue flight attendants uniform

Post by moonshadow »

Coder wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:01 am
This is a tough one for me - I’m only inviting questions and gossip when I consider going to work in a skirt. I think if I worked a uniformed job I would choose the men’s option for multiple reasons, either the women’s would be designed to accentuate their form, kind of like the flight attendants, or as you say the only difference would be which side it buttons on.
Well, we each have to do what we feel comfortable with. I had a bit of a situation back in 2016 with a simple photograph posted on Facebook that was seen by some unnamed employee of the same company who proceeded to complain to corporate to have me terminated. The story goes, it escalated all the way to the top, and the decision was made to just leave me alone, but it could have just as easily ended with my job loss. Note, I have never worn a feminine garment on company time. This complaint was made regarding my off the clock attire. It took a while to get that digested, and there were little bits of drama that surfaced all the way up until the point I left in early 2018.

I have always respected the position my employer(s) are in given the highly conservative region we tend to live in, one that recently has become supercharged on anger and hatefulness in recent months particularly.

These days I work for a company that is generally pretty tolerant. These waters were tested a few months ago, while on vacation actually strolled into my main branch office (I've never been there before) for a casual chat with the branch manager and to meet some of the coworkers I've been talking on the phone with this whole time. I wore a plain brown double layered skirt with a printed tee and sneakers. Nary a word was said about what I was wearing, and it's been about a month and a half, and still nothing has been said.

All that being said, I to tend to avoid the really flamboyant stuff when roaming my local region. Mainly because I may find myself being seen by customers. I still wear skirts, but they are a lot more "guy like" with less lace and flowers generally. I still reserve the girly stuff for my jaunts outside of the district, such as West Virginia, and the Roanoke Valley.

One coworker in particular has seen me skirted and doesn't mind at all. I'm sure the other three know, but they never talk about it. The crew I work with now doesn't really do much with each other after hours. We all basically just return to our normal private lives. Thus it's very easy to maintain a wide space between social work life and social personal life. That's fine with me. If there was a function that I was invited to that was uncompensated (off the clock), then I'd wear a skirt as normal. But if I'm being paid, I'm going to wear a full uniform, even if it's not required.

I hold the belief that when I'm being paid, I'm renting my time to whoever is paying me, I represent that person or entity, not myself. If my employer requires me to wear a dress or a skirt for whatever reason, than I shall oblige that requirement. Otherwise, I'm here to do my job and go home. And if they are willing to respect my time and not give me any grief for what I do during [my] time, then I'm happy to return that respect.

Perhaps someday it won't matter and I'll be as free as the pants wearing women in the area, but from all appearances, we're regressing in this region. The transgender situation in Virginia schools seems to have locals on a warpath, and that's going to have a horns effect on people like me.

Anyway, I digress. I obviously don't have an issue with the Jet Blue attendants uniform, but in fairness he's courting trouble in my opinion. But then again, flight attendants have historically been female dominated job roles. I still imagine that most of those judgemental folk on the Twitter thread probably wouldn't say anything in the plane, save for maybe a little mumbling to themselves, maybe an obnoxious laugh when they're around their buddies.
Although jobs at a place like Target, if they offered a khaki skirt option I might go for it if the job activities fit.
Well, those department stores are a little different. Even at my local Walmart in Neo-con-Redneckville USA (Lebanon Virginia) I've seen some eccentric characters stocking the shelves and working the store. I've misgendered countless men and women there. Last weekend at the Food City 605 in Kingsport TN, I had a small order rang up by what I assumed was your typical "small town country white boy". He looked to be the image of the "Pleasantville USA" teenager, slightly husky, likely good at football, and maybe even a bit of a jock... he was wearing dark blue nail polish....

...good for him. The times, they are-a changin!
Last edited by moonshadow on Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Moon Shadow
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 486
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:47 am
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Jet Blue flight attendants uniform

Post by FranTastic444 »

Jim wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:05 am
It's was easy to add a supportive comment. I did. Let's see some more.
Yes, how very negative of me! I don't do Twitter, but happy to add positive comment here.

First of all, I think he looks great. I'm not personally a fan of round neck garments (for me at least, they look fine on others though - as in this image).

Here is the other shot from Twitter of the flight attendant standing. Looks totally professional and presentable to me.

Image

I did a reverse image search and found loads of "outraged" right-wing news aggregation sites as well as a few forums where this topic has cropped up.

I'd love to hear what the back story is here. I wonder whether it is company sponsored initiative, or something that individuals within the company have taken on themselves? Was it done for a joke / one-off or will this individual be dressing this way on a regular basis I wonder? Will Jet Blue back this guy or will the fuss cause them to rein him in? I do hope that there is a follow-up story that makes it to the Internet (hopefully very positive).

Prior to COVID I flew a fair amount with work and always tried to use Jet Blue or Alaska Airlines depending upon the route. From October onward I'm expecting to be back to flying. It would be great to see him in Boston or NYC.
Post Reply