Boys skirting the issue

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Boys skirting the issue

Post by moonshadow »

Celebrities don't count. They live on a different planet.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

moonshadow wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:27 pm Celebrities don't count. They live on a different planet.
Unfortunately, this planet but in a different dimension to us or our kids.
The kids and their parents who have perforce to co-exist with their peers and neighbours is what I had in mind.
If a boy or group of boys did adopt skirts as part of their regular school uniform I am pretty sure we'd hear about it.
Side note, Marks and Spencer have skirts in the boy category of their uniform offer, "Naturally", all the models appear to be girls.
Steve.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

moonshadow wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:27 pm Celebrities don't count. They live on a different planet.
I'm not quite as pessimistic as that. People see them in their newspapers and on TV. What they do is talked about and the subject enters the public consciousness where it wouldn't otherwise do so. Then a tiny number of adventurous parents might see their young son looking at a dress in a shop and, instead of immediately pulling him away, they tell him yes he can wear that if he wants. Others see this and suddenly the idea is not so outrageous after all - and so the change begins. The celeb story is more significant than ones like the schoolboys donning skirts to make a protest. It is also far more important than a trans girl wearing what she wants. This is a boy who is unquestioning of his gender wearing a dress as a real clothing option - because he wants to wear a dress and why shouldn't he?

This isn't about us older guys now; we do what we want anyway. If we are to campaign, it should be to see real options opening up for our sons and grandsons.
MrSoapsud

Post by MrSoapsud »

Stu wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:06 pm Unlikely, but we have seen examples of celebrities allowing their kids to wear garments of the opposite sex. This one showing Megan Fox and her two sons (in the foreground), the older wearing a patterned dress:
Sadly, that doesn't always end well - https://edition.cnn.com/2021/07/08/ente ... index.html
M
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

From the article...

"I've heard from some people that they don't agree with him wearing dresses," Green said. "To them I say, 'I don't care.'"

You ever just stop and marvel at the audacity of some people that actually believe they have the right to dictate what other people are allowed to wear?

I mean really... who the hell.... do they think they are?? What a pedestal they have perched themselves upon!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Stu wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:24 am I'm not quite as pessimistic as that. People see them in their newspapers and on TV. What they do is talked about and the subject enters the public consciousness where it wouldn't otherwise do so.
Fair enough stu...

Three points for Gryffindor. :P
-Andrea
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Never mind skirts, check this out;https://www.msn.com/en-gb/lifestyle/oth ... d=msedgntp.
Here is a young man who will have some hard lessons to learn in later life.
The Mother says that she forgoes new clothes for herself to indulge the kid while asserting that he isn't "spoiled".
As a parent, she certainly isn't doing him any favours.
Steve.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

STEVIE wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:30 pmHere is a young man who will have some hard lessons to learn in later life.
Indeed. That kid is going to have a rude shock coming when mummy isn't around any more.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

I'm with Steve....among the worst lessons a person could be teaching a child with lots of negative ramifications for not just the child but for society. My labels would not be nice, and they would not impact the right bodies, so I'll just whisper implications here!
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

School uniform in the UK can be extremely cheap, extremely expensive, or somewhere between the two, depending on the type of school. A summer school dress at ASDA today costs just five pounds (about $6). A blazer for a top public school (public schools are the most expensive) can easily cost a couple of hundred pounds.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Stu wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:45 am School uniform in the UK can be extremely cheap, extremely expensive, or somewhere between the two
Thing is that wasn't "uniform" it was just very expensive clothes acceptable as school wear.
I do take the point regarding the type of school too. We have 3 local private schools and they do a good trade with "pre-loved" uniform and thrifty well off parents.
Steve.
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

STEVIE wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:43 am Side note, Marks and Spencer have skirts in the boy category of their uniform offer, "Naturally", all the models appear to be girls.
Steve.
I must have missed the skirts in the boys section. But I did notice that all the shoes are labelled “Kids”. Mind you, all but the Mary Janes, T-bar and ballet pumps would have been boys only until recently.