Is it a case of the grass is greener on the other side of the aisle?

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Is it a case of the grass is greener on the other side of the aisle?

Post by mishawakaskirt »

I changed perspective on how I search about clothing. To that of the woman. It turns out there are alot of written by
women, women's perspective bemoaning women's clothing not being comfortable, practical, simple. And praising men's clothing. Them praising some of the very thing's that we hate about men's clothing.
So I ask you is it purely the Grass is greener on the other side of the aisle?

Women complain about women's clothing.
We men complain men's clothing.

Just a few, from the woman s perspective.

https://www.shethepeople.tv/point-toh-h ... n-fashion/
A quote from the she the people article.

Women have seemed to learned the secret.
If this applies to women shouldn't it surely apply to men.
Screenshot_20210720-154516.png

https://qz.com/916148/switching-to-mens ... mfortable/

https://accidentalcomic.wordpress.com/2 ... mfortable/

The writer of this article seems to be a little bit of a man hater.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/21/fash ... -wear.html

Women in suit's, too masculine of a look for me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Is it a case of the grass is greener on the other side of the aisle?

Post by Coder »

The thought has crossed my mind from time to time - especially when I evaluate what makes a skirt (or outfit for that matter) comfortable or uncomfortable. Additionally, men have very little standards when it comes to clothes.

But I think a major reason they complain about their clothes is because of *details*:

For instance, their pockets are smaller - less place to put keys or a phone.

A lot of their clothes have fake pockets.

Most of their stuff is fitted - no belt loops.

Thinner materials that don’t last as long, often see through.

However, many contain an elastic content which makes some things (pants, shirts) slightly more comfortable.

Those are from reading amazon reviews, the occasional google search, and forum reading. I’m not an expert on these matters however.

As for my personal goals… I want a nice healthy middle ground where my skirts are practical and comfortable. No pencil skirts (unless they have a generous pleat, slit, or stretch), belt loops preferred, and real pockets.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I've read other articles about women finding men's clothing looser and far more comfortable. I can understand this and have no objection to them wearing "our" clothes as long as I/we have the right to wear whatever of "their" clothing I/we wish to wear whether because of comfort or for any other reason. I would reject as a matter of course those clothes from whichever side of the aisle that I would find uncomfortable. I cannot understand why women reject the basic skirt or dress ( basic unfrilly LBD, shirt dress, T-shirt dress and so on ) as IMHO they are so comfortable and easy to wear. So maybe from both perspectives the other side of the aisle is greener, more fruitful and productive.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

In terms of clothes and appearance, there are advantages and disadvantages for both sexes.

Men have far fewer choices than women - we know that. It's not just skirts, but fabrics, colours, designs, accessories, cosmetics, jewellery and so on.

Women have more options - BUT - they are also hugely more conscious of their sexual capital than men are, so make-up is not optional for many women (even elderly women not being comfortable without lipstick and mascara); they have to use handbags rather than pockets; they dread turning up somewhere in the same outfit as another woman; they have to spend hours and a huge amount of money perfecting their hair and so on.

However, feminists like to make out that "men have it better". Former feminist Norah Vincent put that hypothesis to the test some years ago by living as a man for a period and she discovered that was not the case - and she wrote a book on that. There is an interesting (short) video on her experience of living as a man that is well worth watching: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip7kP_dd6LU
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

I probably have watched a few too many sci Fi shows, but on more than one occasion I have wondered that if there is a alternate dimension where everything is pretty much the same except I was conceived and born female. Would the female demensioal version of me, be a avid skirt wearing gal? I would love to hope she would have the desire to wear them 100 percent of the time.

Like I would love to do in this dimension but can't.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
MrSoapsud

Post by MrSoapsud »

One reason MOH gives for disapproving of me wearing skirts is that she finds them uncomfortable and impractical, and thus can't understand why I might want to!
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

MrSoapsud wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:11 pm One reason MOH gives for disapproving of me wearing skirts is that she finds them uncomfortable and impractical, and thus can't understand why I might want to!
An older lady a few years ago said the same thing to me - for her it was thigh chafing. My thighs are skinny, so don't really have that issue. Some skirt styles will limit your stride, so one-skirt-styles does not speak for them all.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Ran across this thread on Reddit and it had some good commentary related to why women cross the aisle for clothes:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Showerthoughts ... _socially/

The Pink tax
Clothes fit tighter
Clothes are made cheaper
Less selection when it comes to workwear (ie, Carhartt)

Another interesting angle - that women are more likely to wear mens clothes because of size availability. Men on average are taller/bigger than women, and so it would be easier for a female to wear men's clothing but some men just wouldn't fit into a woman's shirt, for example. There are also proportional differences - women's shirts are cut to fit extra bits, whereas men's shirts are wider in the shoulders. Those differences might make even trying women's shirts and such a no-go as a nice fit couldn't be obtained.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

For me I got the message that this post was deleted.

The fit of women's tops can be problematic in terms of width across the shoulders which means that dresses can be difficult to get a good fit. Skirts and trousers fit me well. I hate men's shorts as they are too long and baggy.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.