Jing Daily: Is China Ready for Men in Skirts?

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Jing Daily: Is China Ready for Men in Skirts?

Post by Coder »

https://jingdaily.com/china-men-skirts-fashion-gender/

A situation similar to the student in Spain, but in China.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Jing Daily: Is China Ready for Men in Skirts?

Post by moonshadow »

For some reason, I see the Chinese government putting a stop to this pretty quickly.

Don't get me wrong, our government would love to as well, but that damned constitution keeps getting in the way... :wink:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

It never occurred to me about fashion in China. Yes, you see the ruling men in the Chinese Communist Party ( or whatever they call themselves ) dressed in the western monkey suits but I just haven't a clue what the general populace wear. My eyes are opened a little more. I suppose that if the authorities wanted to quash such lights of non-conformity then it would be easy for them to do it.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

My impression from what I've seen about China (and somewhat borne out by wikipedia) is that as long as it's not a threat to the party, they don't care.
Homosexuality was largely invisible during the Mao era. In the 1980s, the subject of homosexuality reemerged in the public domain and gay identities and communities have expanded in the public eye since then. However, the studies note that public discourse in China appears uninterested and, at best, ambivalent about homosexuality, and traditional sentiments on family obligations and discrimination remains a significant factor deterring same-sex attracted people from coming out.
However, if you start a lobby group then you might get into trouble if you start criticising the government.

So, as long as men wearing skirts doesn't become a "big deal" with people starting demonstrations I imagine the government there will just ignore it.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

rode_kater wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:15 am My impression from what I've seen about China (and somewhat borne out by wikipedia) is that as long as it's not a threat to the party, they don't care.
I imagine as the relationship between China and the west continues to deteriorate, China will be preparing for possible military engagement, and will require their men to be masculine and uniform, and their boys to be trained thusly.

Life in China seems creepy based on what I've heard...

https://youtu.be/PVkWokLqPOg

I gotta admit, they proved that communism can work... but at what cost?
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

moonshadow wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:47 pm I gotta admit, they proved that communism can work... but at what cost?
Only superficially is it Communism. It's a centralised dictatorship which combines state capitalism with all-encompassing repression.

As to whether it works, consider the milllions who died during the establishment of the present setup. And consider the fate more recently of the unfortunate Uighur people of northwestern China, deported to isolation camps to be stripped of their language, customs and religion, while working for the state as forced labour.

Disclaimer: I've only ever met one Uighur. She was an engineer working for Hewlett-Packard in the US. We shared a table briefly at a station buffet in Hanover more than ten years ago. She was a total charmer and the experience has coloured my attitude to Uighurs ever since ;-)
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

...but at what cost?
geron wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:49 pm consider the milllions who died during the establishment of the present setup. And consider the fate more recently of the unfortunate Uighur people of northwestern China, deported to isolation camps to be stripped of their language, customs and religion, while working for the state as forced labour.
And I feel like you've barely scratched the surface...
-Andrea
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Dictatorships seem to have an ongoing history of repression and genocide in order to maintain power. It is difficult to see an early end to this current dictatorship based on the massive army and police force.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.