PureWow: Unisex Fashion is Here to Stay, Even If Boomers Don’t Quite Understand It

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

PureWow: Unisex Fashion is Here to Stay, Even If Boomers Don’t Quite Understand It

Post by Coder »

https://www.purewow.com/fashion/gender- ... hion-essay

Simple article, typical of what we’ve been seeing posted recently.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: PureWow: Unisex Fashion is Here to Stay, Even If Boomers Don’t Quite Understand It

Post by crfriend »

Coder wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:17 pmSimple article, typical of what we’ve been seeing posted recently.
Sadly, is largely MOTS (More Of The Same) on the concept of "unisex" which for decades now has been about the continual "butching up" of women and the mention of guys falling into the HWTF* (I'm done with the alphabet soup!) faction. What happens if what one wears is simply a fashion statement?
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Re: PureWow: Unisex Fashion is Here to Stay, Even If Boomers Don’t Quite Understand It

Post by Coder »

Yeah, every time I see “unisex fashion” I roll my eyes, but at least it’s an opening. Unfortunately as you state it tends to make men look fem and women look butch (if I’m understanding you correctly). However, it can be used as a lever to help people understand skirts are just about fashion. Even though a skirt by itself isn’t fashion, how it’s styled and the endless possibilities are.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Coder wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:32 pmUnfortunately as you state it tends to make men look fem and women look butch (if I’m understanding you correctly).
No, usually it's just an excuse to butch up the women. Guys never catch on. It's "mass in motion".
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Sometimes I don't think I, and people like me give boomers enough credit. In fairness, they are the ones that really planted the seeds of liberation on many accounts back in the 1960's.

To be brutally honest, it seems to me most of the blowback I get is coming from those who came of age in the 1980's and 1990's (gen x), or people who are about 45-55.

Consider this website, most active members here are boomers, Dee Snider (Twisted Sister - We're not going to take it) is a boomer. Lots of anti-authoritarian pop culture was started by boomers.

In fact, pretty much all of the major issues I've had were due to gen x and millennial resistance. Sure, there are a few ultra-conservative boomers that give me the stank eye from time to time, but almost all of the "love" I've received has also been by boomers, usually boomer women. Some of the nastiest feedback I've ever received was from people in the 16-25 age group (gen z). And when I say nasty, I mean NASTY, to the point of being a downright bully. A lot of these gen z kids can be down right assholes, and I'm sorry to say, millennials aren't much better.

I think Boomers understand a lot more than we (myself included) have given them credit for, and I'm starting to think the rest of us are going to lose something special when they start to die off.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
KiltedintheValley

Post by KiltedintheValley »

The only resistance I face in skirts is from a few family members. Here in the Valley, I don't get much pushback from Millennials or Gen-Z. I get a few stares from the Boomers. There are places I avoid while wearing a skirt because of the extremely conservative religious crowd (Mennonites, Pentecostals, and Independent Baptists). But, overall, my skirts go largely unnoticed. My lovely wife has noticed a few odd stares now and then.

All in all, my experience has taught me that Gen-Z is most likely to be accepting of men in skirts. (I may be biased because my daughters are Gen-Z.)
"Be weird. Be random. Be who you are, because you never know who would love the person you hide." - Alan Watts

Life is too short to talk yourself out of wearing what you want because “I can’t pull off that look”.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

KiltedintheValley wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:48 am There are places I avoid while wearing a skirt because of the extremely conservative religious crowd (Mennonites, Pentecostals, and Independent Baptists).
There are a large number of Mennonites and Pentecostals in my area. But I have never had any problem with any of them nor the baptists Independent or otherwise. I just go about my business as usual and nobody says anything. The auto repair shop I use is owned and operated by very religious Mennonites and I am always welcomed when I walk in the door. I am treated the same as anyone else who comes in the shop.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I don't imagine those religious folks will bother you.

I think rowdy rednecks are probably the biggest obstacle. And even then they're not likely to physically assault you, though they may try to bait you into a physical confrontation.

And though I hate to bring this up again because it gets members here fired up, it seems that folks who are anti-trans are also anti-us [male skirt wearers] too, much for the same reason.

Transgender women and skirt wearing men tend to have the same foes out in the wild... it is what it is.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Fred in Skirts wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:28 am
KiltedintheValley wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:48 am There are places I avoid while wearing a skirt because of the extremely conservative religious crowd (Mennonites, Pentecostals, and Independent Baptists).
There are a large number of Mennonites and Pentecostals in my area. But I have never had any problem with any of them nor the baptists Independent or otherwise. I just go about my business as usual and nobody says anything. The auto repair shop I use is owned and operated by very religious Mennonites and I am always welcomed when I walk in the door. I am treated the same as anyone else who comes in the shop.
There are even Mennonites right here on Skirt Cafe. And I attend my Mennonite church in a skirt.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

What are Mennonites and Pentecostals?

The first sounds like a geological term; the second was a character in the film Pacific Rim!

I’m interested.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Ray wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:39 am What are Mennonites and Pentecostals?

The first sounds like a geological term; the second was a character in the film Pacific Rim!

I’m interested.
Pentecostals are Christians who believe the supernatural gifts of the spirit listed in Paul's first letter to the Corinthians, chapter 12, are still in operation today and they practice those gifts. Emphasis is often in "speaking in tongues", God-given languages unknown to the speaker, as described in The Acts of the Apostles, chapter 2, on the Day of Pentecost, a Jewish festival, the Feast of Weeks, 50 days after the Feast of First Fruits.

Mennonites are a part of the branch of Christianity called Anabaptism. Anabaptists believe baptism is only for believers. They follow the early church practice of non-resistance (pacifism) and believe this is still what the Bible requires today. Menno Simons was a Catholic priest who was expelled for teaching against infant baptism and is seen as the founder of the Mennonites.

Both Mennonites and Pentecostals have very culturally conservative sub-groups, including wearing clothing that covers much of the body and does not show much of the body's shape.

I've been part of both Mennonite and Pentecostal churches, but not the culturally conservative ones.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Jim, thanks for the information. That’s all new to me.