History and Women: Women and Pants

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Re: History and Women: Women and Pants

Post by rode_kater »

Coder wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:25 am even imagine them having the guy do the stealing? What would you think? If you’d find it weird the guy took the woman’s body wash - but not the other way around - why?
A couple of years ago Andrelon was running ads with the by-line; guys, stop borrowing your girlfriend's shampoo. Obviously trying to get you to buy the identical products with the 'for men' label for twice the price :)
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

partlyscot wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:27 pm
Coder wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:57 pm Why bring all this up? No particular reason, woke up early and a discussion going on here (women who refuse to let their partners wear pants)
Did you mean "refuse to let their partners wear skirts"? If not, which discussion are you talking about?
If only!

The links to articles about women in trousers throughout history reminds me of my favourite groundbreaker, Laura Petrie. Mary Tyler Moore drew the ire of "no trousers for women" crowd back in the 60's when she defied cultural standards.
Ralph!
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

It helps to have the body to wear de pants !
Just like as in skirts and dresses for de guys (and er gals).
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I use whatever body wash is available in our home. I consider body washes unisex as they all contain the same basic ingredients. I occasionally use after shave as body spray but detest antiperspirants as they leave an awful coating on the skin. Antideoderants are fine.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Coder wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:25 am
moonshadow wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:45 pm One takeaway about this is that unlike the discussion we're having in another thread, is it doesn't appear that the pants wearing woman ever had to endure any type of "gender identity politics" that we deal with today with regards to us [men] wearing skirts. No, it seems that with women, it's a simply binary matter of, you're going to burn in hell, or you're not.
This very question has bugged me for a very long time, and I don’t quite have an answer for it. Well… I have some ideas but not sure how thoughtful they are.

However, there is an EXCELLENT modern example of this in an Old Spice body wash commercial running on YouTube at the moment (was watching some tool restoration videos). A guy is in a ?bathroom? and this woman is in with him. She’s about to take some body wash and he admonishes her because it’s his/“a mens”/“made for a man” product. She looks guilty, I think does a side to side look and gathers the product and takes off.

Just flip the script - can you even imagine them having the guy do the stealing? What would you think? If you’d find it weird the guy took the woman’s body wash - but not the other way around - why?
Sounds like something two children would do, not very mature or adult behavior. Where does the man get off dictating what body wash is suitable for which sex/gender? And of course, the woman just snatching it is being a thief.

A more proper ad: The woman asks the man if she can use some of his body wash, the man says "sure" and hands it to her. End of ad. Of course, this version wouldn't stoke the timeless "battle of the sexes" that pop culture and the media likes to keep burning forever. We gotta have conflict on the boobtube, you don't get good ratings by playing nice and respecting one another..... :roll:

At our house, Amber uses men's body wash all the time. I myself am old school, I just use good old fashioned IVORY soap with a wash cloth as I've done since my early childhood. Jenn uses whatever she wants, but they are welcome to use mine if they so desire (they never do), and I can use theirs too. They don't mind, of course, we try to act like adults... so.... there's that.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Sinned wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:38 pmAntideoderants are fine.
.MODE=pedant You mean you're making yourself artificially stink? :twisted:

This evening I had the pleasure to witness either an after-wedding-rehearsal get-together or, just possibly, a "bachelorette party" at my local, although I am sceptical about the latter as there were guys present in the party, and made it a point to head indoors to thank the ladies for "brightening the world today and making it a more joyous place" by virtue of their attire. What an absolutely lovely change from denim and sick-flap (for the sound they make) "sandals".

The guys, of course, were all in drab. Today was entirely nasty with temperatures near 90 (F) and dew-points of 70. I was in a burgundy camisole, yellow miniskirt, white lattice-work knee-socks, and 2" black chunky heels. The gals were entirely receptive. The guys were clueless.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I try not to use antideodorants from a personal perspective. I associate them with antiperspirants even though I know that they are different and serve different purposes. I shower often enough and use products such as after shave or body sprays. I try not to overdo the chemicals I apply as I don't know what I am applying and what are the hidden effects on my skin.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.