New York Times article

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
steamman

New York Times article

Post by steamman »

Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: New York Times article

Post by Sinned »

I can't read it without creating an account or making some form of payment, neither of which I am prepared to do.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

If you have a mac and Safari try reader view... might get around that pesky paywall, just sayin...
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Sorry, I have neither - I could never afford a Mac - great but beyond my Yorkshire sense of prudence. Short arms and deep pockets.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Sinned wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:25 pm I can't read it without creating an account or making some form of payment, neither of which I am prepared to do.
Ditto.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I understand that newspapers need to fund themselves somehow, so I don't blame them for forcing payrolls.

But the issue is, we just can't subscribe to all of them, lest we get nicked and dimed to death every month.

I mean, we complain about ads on free sites, paywalls on pay sites. It's just not realistic to have a heavily trafficked news site with no ads and no paywalls, someone has to pay to keep the lights on and the journalist deserve to make a living.

We could argue that the government could fund this, but then we would have state owned media, which would only be allowed to run such stories when we have a liberal government, during other times such writings would be banned.

Nah... I guess the current system is fair enough. There is after all, no such thing as a free lunch, somebody is paying for it.
Last edited by moonshadow on Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
steamman

Post by steamman »

NYT now allow you to share a limited number of articles per month. This should work for 14 days:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/09/styl ... =url-share
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Dammit, I truly wish the mass media could decouple style choices from gender and sexuality. It's getting very, very tedious -- and destructive to the gender-normative male who might want to free himself from trouser tyranny.

Enough!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

crfriend wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:33 pm Dammit, I truly wish the mass media could decouple style choices from gender and sexuality. It's getting very, very tedious -- and destructive to the gender-normative male who might want to free himself from trouser tyranny.

Enough!
AMEN. While I thought the article was somewhat helpful, there was something about their take on it and the over-reliance on gender and sexuality in the article that bugged me.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Coder wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:22 pmWhile I thought the article was somewhat helpful, there was something about their take on it and the over-reliance on gender and sexuality in the article that bugged me.
Indeed. It's this idiotic stance that any guy who dares to challenge The Norms of Society when it comes to style choices must be somehow flawed or perverted -- and that's what drives me wild, and it drives me wild because it's stupid and wrong-headed.

OK, I know that I've self-selected out of the heterosexual romance scene because of my attire -- sure, they're nice and receptive at a distance, but won't have a lick to do with a non-conformer when it comes to brass tacks. I'm OK with this; I've long known that the last part of my life is going to be a solo flight, but in every instance where I've tried to "start something" have been rebuffed -- possibly because they think I'm fatally flawed somehow.

The mass media needs to do better -- vastly better than what they're doing. Full stop. What they're doing is merely perpetuating old legends and misnomers.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

If anyone is interested, I've created a WORD document with
the article and pic's. Send me a PM, with your email, and I'll
send it to you. Didn't want to save all the pic's individually
to include here. The article is down to 4.5 pages.

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

Another possibility is https://archive.is/uasK8

This is an archived version of the page.

The article itself is so-so. Not impressed.
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

LOL, I even used that exact title "The Boys in Their Summer Dresses" in one of my early blog posts about men who prefer skirts and dresses to trousers.

It's certainly uplifting to see the topic move off the garish runways and into the streets. But I suspect it will still take a while before it grows beyond a celebrity fad. I'll believe it's mainstream when mainstream retailers on Amazon and the like stop categorising dresses in the "clothing->women" department, or at least include dresses in the "clothing->men" department.

The other bit of discouraging detail in the Times article is the way they emphasise the "genderfluid" or "genderqueer" identity of the dress-wearers. Why does it have to be "Mx. So-and-so", not just ordinary "Mr. So-and-so"?

[EDIT] Ah, I just hadn't read far enough before writing the above complaint. Now I see they move on to cisgender men who enjoy the same benefits as the genderfluid examples.
Ralph!
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

Ralph wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:59 pm It's certainly uplifting to see the topic move off the garish runways and into the streets. But I suspect it will still take a while before it grows beyond a celebrity fad. I'll believe it's mainstream when mainstream retailers on Amazon and the like stop categorising dresses in the "clothing->women" department, or at least include dresses in the "clothing->men" department.
I suspect that when it happens, it will be like the quote from Hemingway: “How did you go bankrupt?” “Two ways: Gradually, then suddenly.”

The Dutch proverb applies: if one sheep crosses the dam, more will follow.

Seriously though, I do feel like there's a momentum building that wasn't there before. I convinced I will live to see it.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

Any garments aimed at men will only have a chance of acceptance and challenging the "trouser tyranny" if they are:
  • Simple

Sensible

Masculine