Another Skirted Score

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Another Skirted Score

Post by rivegauche »

Agreed. In the UK there is no statutory right to wear a skirt or dress even for women. There many jobs where a skirted garment would be inconvenient or even dangerous. There are also many companies and organisations where it would not be a problem. There is now a very strong climate of tolerance towards perceived minorities that is in virtue signalling territory. There might be a few exceptions like teaching school age children who are merciless to teachers who dress conventionally and this might be regarded as handing them ammunition. I don't think HR would be the main problem - I think other colleagues would - in the way that in most organisations there is a lot of joshing. If you announce you are transitioning you are becoming a woman - no problem - but if you just want to wear a skirt or a dress (with or without things like tights, heels and handbags) the press regard it as a story. I am going to confine my skirt wearing to my leisure time - no one needs to be consulted - no approvals needed. Actually I have been wearing them in work time when working from home, except during video meetings.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

new2skirts wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:44 pm As long as you let HR know, there's rarely an issue at work. Knee length skirts in dark colours has not been an issue, so long as you keep working just as well as before, and don't make it a distraction. Pencil skirts and tights / stockings are fine, with reasonable shoes, like the wardrobe Alistair has when he posted here (Skirtyscot?).

Some dresscodes may insist on trousers, ie factories / food processing / chemicals handling, but most office / admin jobs should be fine if you don't make a scene...
Hi New to Skirts
Just don't take it for granted that it will be OK with any given employer.
As Rivegauche points out there is more tolerance from individual companies but I believe it has only been tested in tribunal once.
That was a failure and I believe it was an office/administrative role.
Just remember that not all employers will have the same attitude and in the UK they don't have to.
Steve.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

STEVIE wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:51 pm
new2skirts wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:44 pm As long as you let HR know, there's rarely an issue at work. Knee length skirts in dark colours has not been an issue, so long as you keep working just as well as before, and don't make it a distraction. Pencil skirts and tights / stockings are fine, with reasonable shoes, like the wardrobe Alistair has when he posted here (Skirtyscot?).

Some dresscodes may insist on trousers, ie factories / food processing / chemicals handling, but most office / admin jobs should be fine if you don't make a scene...
Hi New to Skirts
Just don't take it for granted that it will be OK with any given employer.
As Rivegauche points out there is more tolerance from individual companies but I believe it has only been tested in tribunal once.
That was a failure and I believe it was an office/administrative role.
Just remember that not all employers will have the same attitude and in the UK they don't have to.
Steve.
Thanks for the advice. To be honest, it still is quite hostile out there, but I generally look for employers who have more of a leaning towards LGBTQ and diversity. So I tend to fit in, rather than a typical office with laddish behaviour or tired stereotypes.

It still is best to approach HR before turning up for work in your desired wardrobe :shock: :roll:
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

new2skirts wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:53 pm It still is best to approach HR before turning up for work in your desired wardrobe
For anyone else out there who is contemplating a skirt outfit at work, this is possibly the best advice of all.
Consult some of your co-workers too. They may give a good indication of your employers likely reaction.
More so, as the people around you daily, their attitudes could also be a factor in your ultimate choices.
A lot depends on the employment choices that are available to you as an individual,
When I took the plunge, I also let some "trusted" colleagues into my secret.
The gossip mill did some work for me and the rest is history.
Now I have to find which skirt or dress etc that I will wear for another day of fun and frolic toiling for
Her Most Britannic Majesty.
Steve.