Story from Spain

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Story from Spain

Post by Stu »

Male teachers turn up in SKIRTS across Spain to support boy who was expelled and made to visit a psychologist for wearing one to class

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... g-one.html
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Story from Spain

Post by Ralph »

That was wonderful! Made my day.
Ralph!
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

I am "Mr Pessimist" when it comes to most stories as they don't advance our cause. This one is different. It is actually quite hopeful - men and boys wearing skirts as men and boys. We need more of this.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Yes this ia a very good sign.
All the more remarkable that it has occurred in what I would believe to be a very conservative country.
There is hope yet.
Steve.
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

STEVIE wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:31 pm All the more remarkable that it has occurred in what I would believe to be a very conservative country.
...and in an unshakably conservative paper, too. What surprised me even more was the almost unanimously welcoming tone of the comments underneath.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

One sad point is that I would very much doubt that it would have happened in this country/
Steve,
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

It makes you wonder which century the apparel judges are in. The nineteenth by the look of it. To send him to a psychiatrist - the surest way to screw up the kid's psyche. Those that expelled the kid need the psychiatrist. Don't really know what the psychiatrist could say, but then I ain't an expert in psychiatry. Horrific!
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
howardfh
Member Extraordinaire

Post by howardfh »

"Clothes have no gender" is a great slogan!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

howardfh wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:40 pm"Clothes have no gender" is a great slogan!
Indeed, it is high time that the notion of gender-specific apparel be dealt its last blow -- and may that blow be mortal to the notion.

There is precisely no logic whatsoever to the idea that clothing should be reserved for one sex/gender or the other. "What is good for the goose is good for the gander.", as the old saying goes. Let us make it so once and for all.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Sinned wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:44 pm It makes you wonder which century the apparel judges are in. The nineteenth by the look of it. To send him to a psychiatrist - the surest way to screw up the kid's psyche. Those that expelled the kid need the psychiatrist. Don't really know what the psychiatrist could say, but then I ain't an expert in psychiatry. Horrific!
I'm a dropout from a Ph.D. program in clinical psychology. Most psychologists would affirm the boy after talking with him and trying to understand his motives. Just talk about thinking it through and understand there could be unwanted consequences, suggesting to weigh whether the risk is personally worth it.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Sinned wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:44 pm It makes you wonder which century the apparel judges are in. The nineteenth by the look of it.
Nope, the "apparel judges" are alive and well in the twenty second century unfortunately.
What is more, most are self appointed and in a neighbourhood near you.
Chances are that you will not even have an inkling of their true pronouncements on your sartorial choices.
These ill advised arbiters will not be readily convinced that clothing has no gender and it is that attitude which will hold back the advance of fashion freedom for men but only if we allow it.
Steve.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

Clothes have no gender, however, people do. A video posted here not so long ago pointed out that clothing has always been used to express gender. Places that use sarongs have men's styles and women's styles. Since clothing is a form of personal expression and many people would like to express their gender via their clothing you get something like gendered clothing. But it's a cultural thing, it's not like we all got to together to make this decision.

I guess the easiest way to deal with this is to ignore it and accept that some people are going to look at you and draw odd conclusions. Changing this will require a cultural shift. I think (Western) society is evolving to expand the envelope such that a man wearing a skirt isn't automatically considered feminine/gay/etc, and we're making it happen :)

(As an aside, there are many cultures that have skirt-like clothing for mean, however, these styles are then strongly associated with that culture which doesn't help us.)

But people who want to express their gender publicly aren't going to go away and they'll have to carve out a new niche for themselves. Some things are obvious, like bikini tops which are useless for most men. I think they'll just have to be content with the clothing that aggressively accentuate their curves (or lack of them). For men I fear this will mean drawing attention to the crotch area :shock: . Or perhaps the hard rectangle shape :| .

Ideally we'd carve out a niche of "masculine skirts/dresses" so that men who would like to strut their masculinity can also wear skirts/dresses. Something other than the kilt please, though it's a start. In the mean time we'll just have to continue helping culturally redefining most skirt styles as "unisex". I'm optimistic and think we're actually making good progress, as demonstrated by the OP :D .

My 2c anyway.
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

STEVIE wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:16 am Nope, the "apparel judges" are alive and well in the twenty second century unfortunately.
Are you sure about that?
;-)
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Oops
21st C. Senior Moment or Dr Who?
Sure hope it isn't a prophecy as it was written rather early this morning.
Steve.