Article in The Sunday Times

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Article in The Sunday Times

Post by Stu »

You have to be a subscriber to read the whole article, but you get the flavour from what is visible.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/dare ... -k7lzjlmjh

I think the image at the top is one that is way too short to be thought a realistic option for most men. Unless we are going to go down the kilt road, which I doubt many non-Scots would find acceptable, then we need something "safe" as a point of entry - which this isn't. Personally, I would go with the basic straight, knee-length denim or corduroy.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Article in The Sunday Times

Post by Kirbstone »

I think even SkirtsDad would baulk at that thing. Apart from looking hideous, at 1000 Squids a pop there can't be many (any?) takers out there. The material is nice, though.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Spirou003
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Spirou003 »

Looks like he did only put a top but did forget to put on his bottom :-/
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

I bought the paper so have not opened the link to see the extent of the redaction. There are three images - one with the man in the very short pleated skirt that is obviously discussed above, one reproducing Harry Styles in the dress on the cover of Vogue, and a third with four skirted men. Though two of the skirts fall below the knee, the third is Mark Bryan in an above-the-knee pencil skirt and heels, and the fourth is another mini skirt. One of the longer skirts is pleated and frumpy and worn over trousers.

The text accepts that this is not really a thing despite skirts for men being available, and if anything it makes a man in a skirt seem odder than it actually is. It is not anti but it is not helpful either. It describes a lot of reaction to the writer going out in his short skirt, including a shop assistant filming him on a phone, which has never happened to me. He suggests it is a trend best left to the younger generation. But he points out that the hashtag #boysinskirts has attracted 149 million views.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

https://archive.is/OOF76

"Mirts" Really?

The skirt and jacket(?) combo almost gets it right. A bit longer and it could work for me, though I'd prefer the look as a tunic, and without the hairy legs and socks.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

partlyscot wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:24 pm "Mirts" Really?
Guess so....

But it's always a skirt to me, and a purse, and leggings, etc. I don't need to masculinize every thing I see made for a woman...

I guess we'd call a dress a "mess"?

And I guess if it was a particularly stunning dress, we could call it a "hot mess". :lol:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

moonshadow wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:53 amAnd I guess if it was a particularly stunning dress, we could call it a "hot mess". :lol:
:faint:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

I would say something like the image below would be much more wearable than the weird and extremely expensive designs they are promoting - and acceptable:

JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

partlyscot wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:24 pm https://archive.is/OOF76

"Mirts" Really?

The skirt and jacket(?) combo almost gets it right. A bit longer and it could work for me, though I'd prefer the look as a tunic, and without the hairy legs and socks.
At just over $1,500 bucks US, that's a hard "NO" from me. Besides, it's absolutely fugly!
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I don't mind that tunic but object to the name and price.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Guys
Mirt, manskirt or whatever, there will be a premium to pay for such named items until we see some kind of general acceptance.
As for the tunic, I'd leave that to the younger set who could carry it off best,
That said, with certain adjustments I'd wear it in a heartbeat. As for cost, if I had the readies and I deemed it good value, so be it.
Got to disagree with Stu on the kilt angle. I reckon it is the Non-Scots who actually represent the majority of kilt wearers at the present time. I don't understand it but there does appear to be a widespread fashion for the best known manskirt in the west.
Steve.
6ft3Aussie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by 6ft3Aussie »

The problem I see is not the concept, it is the price attached.

The target demographic would be so small as to be practically zero.

I don't know of many women who would pay $150 for an every day dress etc, let alone men who would consider these prices for something that probably wouldn't see the light of day that often.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

6ft3Aussie wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 12:22 pm The problem I see is not the concept, it is the price attached.

The target demographic would be so small as to be practically zero.

I don't know of many women who would pay $150 for an every day dress etc, let alone men who would consider these prices for something that probably wouldn't see the light of day that often.
Unless those women do their shopping on Rodeo Drive or Madison Avenue.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

The biggest issue I have with the proposed costume isn't the price, it's the fact that I find it utterly ugly to look at.

Denim <> male any longer.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

crfriend wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 4:12 pm Denim <> male any longer.
Ahh, the ubiquitous denim.
In the years that I have been dropping by the cafe I have only added one denim skirt to my collection and even that was in the early days. It is fine to wear when I feel like it and in general terms I have no issues with denim as a fabric.
My own feeling is that denim does not make a skirt any more, or less, masculine than any other fabric.
What is more, I don't rightly feel that it is any less visible as a skirt either.
That said, we have discussed entry level skirts elsewhere and to a lot of men it could present a good alternative to a kilt. My take would be that there is a better chance of skirted evolution for guys from denim based design than the perceived machismo of the "schottenrock". Scotch skirt, I rather like this translation, it chimes with my mixed feelings about my national costume.
My skirt and dress tastes have certainly broadened beyond belief from those very tentative first steps and maybe denim was a help at the time.
In terms of spending, my highest so far has been around $225 U.S. and yes, I have known several women who would have spent around £100 on a daily wear dress. Some of them would have spent that on a pair of jeans and a few on a pot of face cream.
Not poverty stricken but certainly not high rollers either.