Teenager wearing a dress harassed by inbred Tennessee hillbilly

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Teenager wearing a dress harassed by inbred Tennessee hillbilly

Post by pelmut »

crfriend wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 1:10 am
Ralph wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:02 pmWhy all the hostility for religious people?
For what it's worth, and I cannot presume to speak for Moon, is that it may be down to the fact that we do not have freedom from religion in any meaningful way in the US. Everywhere we turn, it's in our face -- and it gets tiresome after a while, especially if you don't believe the dogma.
It's quite noticeable from this side of the pond, where religion hardly ever intrudes on everyday life, that it plays a much bigger part in American life and American thinking.  Sometimes I have felt as though I was reading replies that could have been written in England 100+ years ago.

This only applies to religious dogma, not charitable behaviour or generosity which are given freely by many Americans, including those with no religious affiliations.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

Freedom from religion is more commonly known as "liberty", defined in the French constitution thusly:
Liberty consists in being able to do anything that does not harm others: thus, the
exercise of the natural rights of every man has no bounds other than those that ensure
to the other members of society the enjoyment of these same rights. These bounds may
be determined only by Law (link)
You can exercise your religion however you like, as long as it doesn't impact me. If you don't like abortion, don't do it, but don't start enforcing your views on anybody else.

Note: this is a completely separate issue to whether religious schools can get funding. You can't discriminate on religion, so they get the same funding under the same rules as an equivalent school that is not religious. You can make it contingent on materials get taught though. The US values liberty very highly in some areas (like gun ownership), in others not so much.

One way to think about it is that when the religious wars were ended in Europe and the religions were pacified all the extremists set off for America. The results we can see today.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Ralph wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:02 pm Why all the hostility for religious people?
Actually Ralph, the answer to your question lies in the first paragraph I posted. I'll quote it here incase you missed it...

Also, the reason for this religious charter school push comes down to state politicians complaining about federal mandates and guidelines with regards to public schools (e.g. "CRT and equal treatment of transgender girls).

I'm not hostile towards religious people... I don't like blatant hypocrisy, and I also don't like political groups (religious or otherwise) making second class citizens out of people who don't fit their own world view.

But today I don't feel like defending others, trans-girls, Christians or otherwise. Right now the world is going to have to go on without my two cents, I have bigger, more personal fish to fry at the moment....

Somehow I imagine the world will get along just fine without my guidance.... :wink: :lol:

So I shall leave you in the grace and favor of the lord....

Good day sir...!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

rode_kater wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 11:37 am Note: this is a completely separate issue to whether religious schools can get funding. You can't discriminate on religion, so they get the same funding under the same rules as an equivalent school that is not religious.
Ah, but that only applies to Christian schools. Other religions can exist, but they have to stay out of the way and sight of the Chrisitans, so as not to offend them.

If we allow for public funding of religious schools, then we must allow for public funding of all religious schools, regardless of religion... somehow I doubt the Tennessee legislature would abide their tax dollars going to a private school centered on the ideals of say pre-Christian paganism, Islam, witchcraft, or any other creed.

In fact, this has been tried once before (and failed). A small example being where they tried to introduce study on the history of Islam and compare it to the history of other religions... the local community had a big issue with that.

The story is old and many links no longer work.... but you see with your own eyes...

https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2015 ... tol-tenne/

So you see, as many have told me personally, and with this protest, most [Christian] Tennessee parents have no issue whatsoever mandating the bible in school, in fact I hear them comain almost every day that the mandate should be enforced, but only the bible.. No other religions are allowed. Any politician that tries anything else won't be a politician for long.

So the only compromise we can strike is to keep tax dollars out of religious indoctrination, and let the churches handle it. And in return, they [the churches] pay no taxes.

But give someone an inch and they want a mile... the extreme religious right won't stop until we have a full blown Christian theocratic form of government.... just like in the middle east (ISIS)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Blitz

And if you think they're going to tolerate your prairie dresses Ralph, think again. You already can't wear them out and about... why is that? Think about it.. imagine your community having actual legal power over you in this regard. How many church members, pastors, and wives have forbidden many of us to wear skirts in their presence.... or "asked us nicely" not to do so...

Given the legal authority, you know damned well they would ban it outright with possible criminal consequences....
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

I went to US public schools the whole way, K-12. I'd had a high school history class that covered ancient history around the Mediterranean. The Egyptians, the Greeks, the Romans... Included in that were the ancient Israelites. The teacher assigned a short reading from the appropriate source text on that particular group, AKA the Bible (Old Testament historical books). No one complained my year, but a year or two later he got run out because an aggressive atheist went to the school board.

We also read Greek and Roman texts (all in translation, like the Bible, obviously) so it wasn't just about reading the Bible. He didn't even assign anything preachy. It was short and the only reason I remember it happening was because it was from the Bible, and that fact stood out (only time anything was read from the Bible in 13 years of public school). He was one of those teachers that was notable for actually getting the class engaged and interested. One of the best history teachers I'd had to date at that point.

We also had a "world cultures" or something class later that covered comparative religions, and taught about Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, Zoroastrianism, etc, and yes, Christianity. That class, as far as I know, never got the teacher in trouble. And that one actually taught the religious beliefs, not just the history. So who knows...
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

moonshadow wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 1:05 pm Actually Ralph, the answer to your question lies in the first paragraph I posted. I'll quote it here incase you missed it...
I'm not hostile towards religious people... I don't like blatant hypocrisy, and I also don't like political groups (religious or otherwise) making second class citizens out of people who don't fit their own world view.
No, I didn't miss it but the section I quoted seemed more generally directed at anyone with religious beliefs:
Of course they might miss those USDA dollars that make lunches free for every child in more rural, poorer counties.. but hey... trust in the Lord to provide. They're people of faith, let the manna fall from the sky.... now THAT'S how you do "old testament"... :wink:
Otherwise they might have to invoke an income tax.... but hey at least those evil liberals won't be brainwashing the kiddos. :roll:
Not just "those bloody hypocrites can just let manna fall from the sky", but "they're people of faith". Likewise your next two statements imply that all religious people oppose income taxes and consider liberals to be evil. I'll not deny that there are plenty of people who hold both of those points of view but that's more a cultural division than limited to religious viewpoints.

Bottom line, a trigger for me is overly broad generalizations that ridicule or demonize any large swath of demographic by attributing some stereotype to the entire group. I find it detracts from civil discussion and only serves to ignite an already volatile topic. I react the same way when my conservative friends put words in liberals' mouths suggesting they hate America and want a Communist despot to rule over us.
Ralph!
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

the rural/conservative/religious people in my area* neither expect federal money nor state taxes nor divine intervention to put food on the table.

Really?

Pay attention Ralph; farm subsidies are as much of a third rail (Think of the third rail providing electricity to subway trains, touch and you die.) issue as Social Security and I'm sure your Tennessee farmers feel exactly the same way about them as those in Kansas and Iowa.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.