Teenager wearing a dress harassed by inbred Tennessee hillbilly

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Teenager wearing a dress harassed by inbred Tennessee hillbilly

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Hate and intolerance are the antithesis of Christian values.

Even though evangelicals and fundamentalists get so much of the press, they are NOT representative of the majority of Christians; the mainstream denominations are still in the majority.

Though if more of the Roman Catholic hierarchy doesn't catch up to the times ... well it's hard to tell what will happen. Right now, the Catholic church is the largest Christian denomination in the US. So large that if all of us "fallen away" Catholics were to gather together in our own denomination, not only would it be VERY interesting, it would be the 2nd largest Christian denomination in the US. Most practicing Roman Catholics feel about abortion the same way as Pres. Biden and the percentage of Catholics in favor of birth control is only a percent or 2 lower than the general US population. But those certainly aren't the official positions. Not even of the US Catholic hierarchy.

So, we shall see; but to write off Christianity because of what passes for it in the Bible Belt is to misunderstand what it means to be a Christian.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

But for sure, that young man rocked his gown.

Kudos to the parents involved and his school for letting him wear it.

Kudos too to View Well for firing that bigoted a**hole.

Finally, transpeople, of whatever degree, have as much right to be themselves as anyone else and anyone who's disturbed by their existence or even presence needs to do some serious self-examination. It's their problem and their bad not the transperson's.

If anyone in this forum feels called out, I suggest you look up the meaning of the word "hypocrite," then take out your proverbial, psychological mirror and put it to effective use.

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

moonshadow wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:24 am
Fred in Skirts wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:22 pm It was one of religious types who think everyone is going to Hell if they don't do what they think the Lord says about anything at all. She worked at Wal-Mart
If heaven means an eternity with people like that...

... hard pass!

I'll keep wearing my feminine clothes.
To quote the renowned William Martin Joel, "I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints." I'm more than happy to continue wearing my skirts and dresses.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

I sit here reading this thread and my sense of reality keeps hitting a stone wall..

Why is the Tennessee person being called inbred and a hillbilly??????

It looks to me that the original poster is making assumptions that all people from Tennessee are inbred, dumb, rednecks and of course hillbillies. I can assure you they are not. Of course that's not to say there aren't such in the state but that's true of every state in the union. When I lived in Pennsylvania I saw rednecks and inbreeds there as well. So lets not look down on other people just because they live in certain areas. It is just not the thing to do.
We who wear skirts should know better anyway.

Just my $.02 worth.

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Thanks, Fred. I also was bothered by this nasty stereotype.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Nought to do with religion in any of its forms but I have had a few more thoughts, especially regarding Mr Johnson.
However, obnoxious his behaviour was, I have grave doubts over the merits of labelling him as a retarded inbred hillbilly.
Fred and Jim were obviously thinking along similar lines and I would wholeheartedly agree with their sentiments.
Now I may just get to finish this post.
The fact that Johnson has been fired by his employer may compound the problem too.
He obviously had an attitude problem from the outset and he will have learnt nothing at all from this experience.
The attitude may become a grudge if it hasn't already and he may very well vent his perceived persecution with disastrous consequences.
When I asked about using a gun earlier, it was the boys that I had in mind but the idea of a guy like Johnson with any kind of weapon is bad, very bad indeed.
Maybe it is a pity that our young friends weren't martial artists and hadn't just beaten the crap out of him.
Perhaps then he would have learnt a lesson in a language that he can fully understand.
Violence is certainly not the answer but when certain behaviours are left unchallenged we can have no hope of change.
I just hope never to hear a follow up to this sad tale which is anything less than positive.
The one certainty is that the boy rocked that dress and that I am envious that I couldn't have done something similar at the same age.
Steve.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

As far as Tennesseeans go... they're really just about the same as everyone else across the 50 states. They do take a LOT of pride in their state (as do many southerners), but as for culture, like I said: about the same as anywhere else.

The city dwellers act like city dwellers... leftist and easy to offend.

The country dwellers act like country dwellers... right-wing and easy to offend.

Like most everyone else across the U.S., if you leave them alone they'll leave you alone. All people are generally liberal acting, it's just different "tribes" have their little cultural pet peeves.

And everyone is a hypocrite, usually by a wide margin. But I ignore it because in truth... I'm a hypocrite too! :)

As for incest... it happens everywhere, and by people that may surprise you!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

I too agree with Fred that the typification of that ex-CEO was completely uncalled for. We know nothing of the man's background so we shouldn't assume and certainly not at the expense of a whole state's worth of people!

Stevie got it half-right, violence is not the answer. And those young men responded in a manner that any reasonable person could understand; they asserted their right to be themselves and recorded the confrontation.

Johnson's employer got it entirely right; he didn't live up to the company's values, let alone basic decency and thereby showed himself unfit for his position. He deserved to be fired. If he turns into a reason to be angry and take his anger out on others, it's wholly on him! If he has enough brains to have gotten into the position of CEO, he'll take it as a life lesson.

As a society we have suffered a$$holes for too long. Especially the ones with fancy titles and large bank accounts.

STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

moonshadow wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:40 am Getting shot is a possibility no matter what. Most [men] that get shot aren't wearing a dress.
Hi Moon
The scary thing about this statement is the acceptance of the possibility as commonplace. Especially coming from someone as thoughtful as you are.
At the start of this thread I could just about accept that any of the three may have been armed but then there is this;
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/si ... d=msedgntp.
An armed pre-teen who believed that the answer most certainly came with a gun. The other sad part is that it is not even headline news, so inured we have become to such events.
Never mind men in skirts it would be real good if we could foresee a world where such things did not occur at all.
Steve.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

STEVIE wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:23 am An armed pre-teen who believed that the answer most certainly came with a gun. The other sad part is that it is not even headline news, so inured we have become to such events.
A female shooter?... That's pretty rare, in fact, I think this might mark the first time a girl was the shooter in a "school shooting" that I can recall.
STEVIE wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:23 am Never mind men in skirts it would be real good if we could foresee a world where such things did not occur at all.
Yeah, but that's just not going to happen. It is what it is.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

STEVIE wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:23 amNever mind men in skirts it would be real good if we could foresee a world where such things did not occur at all.
This is one of the ideas I advocate for -- making the mere thought of committing such a deed unthinkable.

The old thinking that ever-more draconian measures will solve the problem has been repeatedly proved not just wrong, but pig-headed. It's time for new thoughts to come to the fore on the matter, and for new approaches to be taken. The worst thing that can happen is that they fail as badly as the old thinking has.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

moonshadow wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:40 am Getting shot is a possibility no matter what. Most [men] that get shot aren't wearing a dress.

There is one part of the video that kinda bugs me...

Towards the end when the bystanders ate trying to settle the man down, they say "come on man... they're just kids"...

While I understand the sentiment, to me this sends the signal that only children should be allowed to wear what they want, or in other words, had this been a grown man in a dress, all bets are off.

No... people shouldn't harass kids, but they shouldn't harass anyone else either.

In fact that "kid" better cool his jets and learn how to take a little heckling in the chin, because he's *almost* an adult, and when he becomes an adult he's more likely to be physically assaulted for wearing a dress, as in our society adult men are without value and expendable.
One of the most significant risk factors for becoming a victim of violence, is being male. From what I understand, it's more significant than race or even economic status. Yet it's the girls that get the extra lessons in safety and avoiding dangerous situations....

Men are not seen by much of society as having the same value as women or kids and that's not right. Everyone should have dignity, value, and rights because they are human, not because of their age or sex.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

Pdxfashionpioneer wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:08 am Hate and intolerance are the antithesis of Christian values.
Absolutely!

The greatest commandment is love. Love of God, followed by love of neighbor (our fellow man). It's true, that most will never fully live up to these commands, but that is what we should all be striving for.
Pdxfashionpioneer wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:08 am ... if more of the Roman Catholic hierarchy doesn't catch up to the times ... well it's hard to tell what will happen. Right now, the Catholic church is the largest Christian denomination in the US. So large that if all of us "fallen away" Catholics were to gather together in our own denomination, not only would it be VERY interesting, it would be the 2nd largest Christian denomination in the US. Most practicing Roman Catholics feel about abortion the same way as Pres. Biden and the percentage of Catholics in favor of birth control is only a percent or 2 lower than the general US population. But those certainly aren't the official positions. Not even of the US Catholic hierarchy.
If the Catholic hierarchy holds firm to Church teaching, the Church will be fine. If they cave to the latest trendy pressure to "keep up with the times" the Church will continue to hemorrhage adherents. The parishes that hold to the Faith, are booming. Not just old folks, but young adults and families with kids. These are the parishes that are producing religious vocations, too. The ones that are "with the times" are emptier by the week.

The reason so many have fallen away is because so many leaders in the Church didn't hold fast. Artificial birth control and abortion may make headlines, but other studies show large numbers of pew-sitting Catholics not believing far more fundamental teachings about things like the Eucharist, for example. Faith formation has sucked for generations, and most Christian churches (not just Catholic) are running on fumes or momentum...

People will not take a faith seriously, if it does not seriously challenge them to live to a higher standard. An hour of music and glad-handing on Sunday morning won't do that. Churches that are nothing more than that are dying. They are mostly old ladies, with some kids still being forced to come by their parents, most of whom will never come back once they have a choice. But actually challenge people to be better and they come back for more.

We also need a good example. Growing up I saw adults volunteering their time to help send doctors and medicine to the third world, and help women in "crisis pregnancies" keep and care for their babies both before and after birth. I saw first hand the food pantry run by my local parish. I personally know people who entered monasteries and convents, who are still there and only in their 20s and 30s. I've seen healthy church communities that are anything but dying.
JeffB1959 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:35 am
moonshadow wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:24 am If heaven means an eternity with people like that...

... hard pass!
To quote the renowned William Martin Joel, "I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints." I'm more than happy to continue wearing my skirts and dresses.
Despite what Billy Joel or anyone else thinks, saints do laugh. My religious friends at least, laugh pretty darn hard. (Not saints yet, but we're going for it...) Been hanging out of late with a friend who simply cannot resist a pun to save his life. We often finish off the evening with prayer, after laughing so hard it hurts.

And oh yeah, these days when we hang out, I'm usually not in pants...
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Dust wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:50 am Men are not seen by much of society as having the same value as women or kids and that's not right. Everyone should have dignity, value, and rights because they are human, not because of their age or sex.
Men don't have any value whatsoever in society. There is ample evidence of this. But in all fairness, I've had plenty of conversations with men that indicate to me that the sentiment [of having no value] is warranted.

Yes there are good men out there, but most men I observe just like to beat their own chest.

Remember, in our society men are expendable and women [0] are precious, BUT- men also rule the world and it was MEN who created the system that devalued other men.

If you're a man, and you want to survive, your best bet is to keep your mouth shut and stay out of everyone's way.

[0] Transwomen excluded. It seems most people don't even view transwomen as human at all.
-Andrea
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

moonshadow wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:46 am
Dust wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:50 am Men are not seen by much of society as having the same value as women or kids and that's not right. Everyone should have dignity, value, and rights because they are human, not because of their age or sex.
Men don't have any value whatsoever in society. There is ample evidence of this.
No, we men have value... As cannon fodder in wars, for example...
moonshadow wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:46 amBut in all fairness, I've had plenty of conversations with men that indicate to me that the sentiment [of having no value] is warranted.
I've seen women demonstrate having little value as well, yet they are treated as having far more intrinsic value regardless of their behavior.
moonshadow wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:46 am Yes there are good men out there, but most men I observe just like to beat their own chest.

Remember, in our society men are expendable and women [0] are precious, BUT- men also rule the world and it was MEN who created the system that devalued other men.
While a few men (and some women) rule the world in the political sphere, women typically rule the world socially in all the little ways that effect our lives more directly. Just look at all the guys here who don't skirt publicly as much as they would like because of their wives.

Plus women have enormous influence on politics and have had that influence since before they had the vote, and were the driving force behind things like Prohibition here in the US (national ban on alcohol, now mostly a thing of the past, but with remnants of that mistake still lingering today).
moonshadow wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:46 am If you're a man, and you want to survive, your best bet is to keep your mouth shut and stay out of everyone's way.
Keeping our heads down is half of what got us in this mess in the first place. We need people to stand up or things will keep getting worse. Standing up is tough, and can even get a guy killed, but if none of us take the risk, it will only get worse. That's the paradox. If no one is willing to risk everything, all of us will slowly lose everything...
moonshadow wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:46 am [0] Transwomen excluded. It seems most people don't even view transwomen as human at all.
No one should be treated as less than human, no matter how they identify. But I see this as more mistreatment of men; those men who transition to a female identity simply continue to be mistreated as men despite any changes, and as always, men are mistreated the most when they don't conform...