Telegraph fashion podcast

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Telegraph fashion podcast

Post by renesm1 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgGhv4FZGE0

I was surprised how positive these women were about a man wanting to wear a skirt.

Starts at 15.25.
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Telegraph fashion podcast

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Renesm 1
Sure they were quite positive but would we expect less?
If they came out anti men in skirts they would be accused of being out of touch reactionaries or worse.
The bit about using footwear as a balance was quite interesting. I already do that to a degree but nice to have it validated too.
All we really need is more of the same and wider distribution.
Not bad at all.
Steve
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

The problem we have is that they are all enthusiastic about the idea of men wearing skirts - in principle - but so long as it's not the men who are their husbands or boyfriends.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Stu wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:59 pmThe problem we have is that they are all enthusiastic about the idea of men wearing skirts - in principle - but so long as it's not the men who are their husbands or boyfriends.
This sums it up precisely. They're all fine with the notion, but would not dare be seen in public "attached" to a guy so attired.

I have quite a few women friends who are all entirely supportive of my appearance and general demeanour. However, I have yet to find one who would even hazard so much as a date with me. There's also the problem that most of the ones who I would deem worthwhile are already otherwise attached (the "All the good ones are taken" dictum).
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:44 pm have quite a few women friends who are all entirely supportive of my appearance and general demeanour. However, I have yet to find one who would even hazard so much as a date with me. There's also the problem that most of the ones who I would deem worthwhile are already otherwise attached (the "All the good ones are taken" dictum).
It's not just women in my experience (though Jenn doesn't seem to mind being seen with me, even going so far as to grab my hand when we wall across parking lots and such).

I've noticed since I've started wearing skirts, the number of people outside or Jenn and Amber who are willing to be seen with me as dropped to zero.

I've noticed when I squeeze my way into a group, even a group that appears "liberal and tolerant", it seems the group disperses or disbands shortly thereafter. I don't think it's the skirts by themselves, I think it's the goofy and somewhat femme styles I choose, juxtaposed with a male "hill-billy" style. I'm not blind, I know everyone is thrown by that.

Fred's signature is inspiring where it says "better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you are not". True, but even I didn't realize that "being me" would effectively move everyone to the "hated" side of the equation. :|

*meh* The feeling has become mutual over the years anyway. Im not crying about it, just stating the obvious. It is what it is. I don't obsess over cosmopolitan fashion, I wear what I like and that's the end of it.

Jenn, Amber, my cats and Rufus don't mind. That's good enough for me... besides, friends = drama. (At least in my experience), always wanting to borrow money, bail them out, come in between my wife and I, etc... been there done that... nah... I'm good. :wink:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

moonshadow wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:33 am I've noticed since I've started wearing skirts, the number of people outside or Jenn and Amber who are willing to be seen with me as dropped to zero.
That's just Covid social distancing, don't take it personally.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Stu wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:59 pm The problem we have is that they are all enthusiastic about the idea of men wearing skirts - in principle - but so long as it's not the men who are their husbands or boyfriends.
The answer to this lies in the question of wider acceptance for men in skirts.
Been a helluva a long time since I was actively seeking a date and I have very grave doubts that I will be anytime soon.
Now what about the lad about town nowadays? He decides that the weather is right for a skirt and decides to go for it out, loud and proud.
Then there is the gal of his dreams just over the horizon, potential soulmates.
The scene is the local hotspot and in true narrative fashion, their eyes meet across that crowded room. The attraction is obvious and mutual. so far so good.
Our hero makes his approach and the fair maiden can now see him in all his sartorial glory.
Sure she is impressed by his bold outlook and they have a drink or whatever.
The music strikes up and he invites her to dance?
Our damsel demurs and at this point may or may not make some "reason" to go her own way.
No future for this encounter.
It may just be a bit more hopeful for our younger skirted brethren as the girls themselves become more accustomed to and accepting of the idea of having a skirted man in their lives. Until then, they have my deepest sympathies, getting dates can be hard enough at the best of times.
Just one point, if the dude had on a kilt, all bets are off. In this scenario the kilt is not to be regarded as a skirt.
Steve.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

Stu wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:59 pm The problem we have is that they are all enthusiastic about the idea of men wearing skirts - in principle - but so long as it's not the men who are their husbands or boyfriends.
Sort of like the classic example of NIMBY, "Not In My Backyard". I can grasp that in a way.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Jeff
NIMBY rings true with me and not just around dates or the lack thereof.
My immediate family would be perfectly accepting of a guy in a skirt as long as the guy ain't me.
In that respect, I'd maybe have more chance of a date with Twiggy than acceptance from some of them.
Steve.
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

I am wondering if the release from lockdown is going to mean a bit more adventurous dressing by men. We have seen Harry Styles in a dress on a magazine cover and more recently carrying a handbag. The media are looking favourably on all this and there is a chance this might make some people bolder. They quoted Styles as saying that handbags were so convenient that carrying one was logical for everyone. How long before the comfort of skirts is heralded as we go into summer? Many of us have also spent nearly all of lockdown in dresses and skirts and will be reluctant to abandon that comfort to go back to trousers full time. For my own part I am going to buy some new outfits when the shops re-open in Scotland tomorrow and plan to do some of this in a skirt and tights. Leading by example.
Last edited by rivegauche on Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

Its nice to hear this stuff. I like that you folks are also getting to the point where you can go out again and shop etc - and if you can do it in a skirt/dress even better !
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

STEVIE wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:29 am Hi Jeff
NIMBY rings true with me and not just around dates or the lack thereof.
My immediate family would be perfectly accepting of a guy in a skirt as long as the guy ain't me.
In that respect, I'd maybe have more chance of a date with Twiggy than acceptance from some of them.
Steve.
The natural reaction I suspect, is a fear of embarrassment which, when you get right down to it, is a nonexistent concern because the public at large collectively doesn't give a damn about a man in a skirt. As a man who wears skirts, dresses, heels, carries a purse and sports earrings in public, I know that from experience.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

pelmut wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:08 am
moonshadow wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:33 am I've noticed since I've started wearing skirts, the number of people outside or Jenn and Amber who are willing to be seen with me as dropped to zero.
That's just Covid social distancing, don't take it personally.
I noticed the sharp drop in social invitations after April of 2016, which is when I was "outed" at work, and the issues that followed also informed my family. Covid wasn't around then.

There are other "little things" Jenn and I both notice that we feel may have to do with my queer nature with regards to people.

Note that where I live, few people do, or have ever adhered to "social distancing".

Ha! People would rather be exposed to a nasty virus than exposed to me! :lol:

I'm like an "American Aleister Crowley"! :twisted: :mrgreen:

It's cool man. I don't care.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

JeffB1959 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:41 pm The natural reaction I suspect, is a fear of embarrassment which, when you get right down to it, is a nonexistent concern because the public at large collectively doesn't give a damn about a man in a skirt. As a man who wears skirts, dresses, heels, carries a purse and sports earrings in public, I know that from experience.
Yup me too Jeff but try convincing my nearest and dearest, that means nought to them. I just wonder how deep rooted the aversion to men in skirts for some women really is. Has the social conditioning become hard wired into their very psyches? If so, it goes a lot deeper than a fear of social embarrassment to my way of thinking.
Still pity the young guys looking for dates while skirted, man that takes all sorts of cojones.
moonshadow wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:06 pm It's cool man. I don't care.
Way to go Moon. if you did, you just would not be you. BTW you have a much more agreeable face than Crowley.
Steve
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Steve, I wonder how deep the aversion goes too. Being on furlough I wore skirts most of the time as I was house bound. Just when I thought she was getting used to the idea I would get a major rant. Today, I got one even though it's been warm and the cool mini is nice. The trouble is that a nice loose mini is so darned comfortable! I don't like her wearing black leggings all the time. No, I HATE that she wears black leggings all the time. But I don't go on about it all the time. In fact I never mention it at all. Little point. I've been wearing skirts for about 10 years now and she still hasn't accepted my acceptance.

I'm laid back and couldn't give a toss either.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.